Nassau "Must Stops" For Foodies?

Fouryoungladies

DH and I thought we had a great plan: hop off the ship, take the Graycliff Chocolate tour, then head over to the Tru Bahamian Food Tour. Unfortunately, the early Graycliff tours are sold out and we can't fit them both in.

DD9 is an aspiring pastry chef and feels we "must" do the chocolate tour. So, we will instead do some stops of our own. The choices of where to stop are a little overwhelming. We are looking for around 3 stops that will give us all a taste of Bahamas and a glimpse of Bahamian culture.

Any suggestions of what those 2-4 stops should be are greatly appreciated!

About a year and a half ago, we did the Tru Bahamian Food Tour, which also included a stop at Graycliff. Pretty much all of it was big disappointment. The food tour included very little food and far too much talking by the guide (while the rest of us stood around), so much so that the tour was running very late, despite our having told the guide at the outset when we had to leave to get back to the ship and his having assured us it would not be a problem. It was, and we had to bail out before the final "food" stop. I put "food" in quotes because one of the food stops was at a store that sold spices, and one was a stop at Graycliff where we had a piece of chocolate.

As for Graycliff, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Okay, perhaps it might be fun for a 9 year old to make chocolate. But as for really good chocolate? No need to go to Nassau; buy some real Swiss chocolate somewhere.

Don't believe all the raves about places that you read on sites like Trip Advisor; I really don't think they can all be trusted.

The very first stop on the Tru Bahamian Food Tour did have terrific food, I'd go back there again. I wish I could recall the name of the place. I'll dig through some things and if I find it, I will post. Perhaps someone else will know...

DH and I thought we had a great plan: hop off the ship, take the Graycliff Chocolate tour, then head over to the Tru Bahamian Food Tour. Unfortunately, the early Graycliff tours are sold out and we can't fit them both in.

DD9 is an aspiring pastry chef and feels we "must" do the chocolate tour. So, we will instead do some stops of our own. The choices of where to stop are a little overwhelming. We are looking for around 3 stops that will give us all a taste of Bahamas and a glimpse of Bahamian culture.

Any suggestions of what those 2-4 stops should be are greatly appreciated!

Bahamian Cookin (aka Bahamian Kitchen) would be a good start. There' cracked conch (with peas and rice and plantains) is one of the best in the area.

Then head to the fish fry at Arawak Cay (it's a group of local fish shacks) and try conch salad, Conch chowder and Fritters and don't forget the mac and cheese - it's spicy and not like we make at home.

My favorite spots would be Oh Andros, and Goldies (try the sky juice).

Quava duff for dessert. Portions are large, so you might want to share.

If you don't want to leave the downtown area, Cafe Skans (which is kinda like a diner), has all the local fare. Fritters, corned beef, Chicken souse. etc.