Norwegian Sun Alaska Kids club specific questions

righthand1

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys (4 and 6 years old at the time of the cruise.) We will be on Norwegian Sun Alaska North Bound Vancouver to Seward at the end of August.

We are thinking about the option of using the Splash Academy for port days. The website listed that the kids club will be open from port arrival time till 10.30 pm. Meals $6/meal/child.

1. At port arrival time that the Splash Academy will open, how long does it generally take to sign the kids in? Is there a long wait? Do they open right at that time or would they let the kids in before? How long will it take to get off the ship after arrival, in general? (Most tour operators in Alaska we talked to, said we should be off the ship by 30 minutes after arrival but I wonder if we need to add time for dropping off the kids.)

2. For port day meal time and $6 charge. I was wondering how this works in your experience.

-There may be some meals that we come back to the ship and eat with the kids. Will we be charged anyway unless we keep them from 12pm-2pm for lunch time? For example if we take them out for lunch at 11.30pm and put them back at 1215pm or tell them we will come back to eat with the kids at 1 pm and put them back at 1.45 pm.

-On one port the ship arrival is at 11 am, if we feed the kids prior to drop off they probably will not need lunch at noon. But will we be charged anyway since they are there from 12pm-2pm?

(I assume their lunch hour is 12pm-2pm the same as sea days?

Thank you very much.

Not being judgmental here, but why bring kids to a place (Alaska) where there are so many wonderful excursions that are kid friendly (e.g., wildlife viewing, glaciers, dog sledding) and then dump them indoors in the kids' club for the day? May as well leave them home.

Having said that, while I have no first-hand knowledge of NCL, other cruiselines would take the kids to lunch at the buffet (I know NCL has a special area) at a certain time, so if you take them for lunch at a different time, there won't be anyone available to watch them when you want to leave again as they will be feeding the other kids.

Thanks for the reply. :) We are spending 10 days doing land tour pre and post cruise with all the family friendly activity. (And I agree that there are TONs for us to do.) On the cruise portion, we are hoping to do both non kid friendly and kid friendly options. It is helpful for us to understand how the kids club really works, in order to plan the day that really work out for everyone.

It is never an option for us to leave the kids home. They will enjoy it more being with us. --and knowing my kids, they will enjoy being in the kids club more than being with us on certain occasion.

Thank you for the insight about lunch hours, very helpful. Not sure what cruise line you had experience with? But I think it would make sense that it is probably similar rule.

Anyone has experience dropping off at kids club in am and catching an early excursion? Appreciate any insight. Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have experienced dropping off the kids at Kids club in the morning and trying to catch the early excursion in Alaska?

Our ship will dock at 11 am in Juneau and one of the independent tour we are looking will pick up at the dock at 11.30 am. The tour company said we will have plenty of time to get to them, but will we? How long is the drop off process take?

They will drop us off at the ship at 2.30-3 pm, then we will pick up the kids and go back in town. Ship departs at 9 pm. I assume during that time they should be back in the club after lunch so we can find them? Anyone know their lunch hours on port day?

Thank you very much for any insights.