Cannes - during the 2017 Film Festival

dtfoxtail

We will be in Cannes on Sat May 20 during the film festival from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. Has anybody been there on your cruise? Any recommendations on how to spend the day in Cannes during the festival? Hints on spotting stars? Places to eat/drink to mingle with the stars or is it better to stay away from the maddening crowd?

Thanks so much!!!

We had an overnight in Cannes last May, to coincide with the opening of the festival. We did tours both days, but on the evening of Day 1 we walked up to the Palais des Festivals where we found a huge crowd trying to catch the stars on the red carpet. People were four or five deep and we walked away for a bit, then came back a little later, when it was less of a crush. Of course we missed the big stars but it was a heady feeling being there - lots and lots of TV crew reporting live, starlets and wanna-bes walking around, with of course the star struck like us! It was fun, we hung around for about half an hour or so and then left.

The festival has film shows on the beach every evening and we'd planned on going, but finally decided against it, just walked along the Croisette and enjoyed the festive atmosphere.

• 1 month later...
We will be in Cannes on Sat May 20 during the film festival from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. Has anybody been there on your cruise? Any recommendations on how to spend the day in Cannes during the festival? Hints on spotting stars? Places to eat/drink to mingle with the stars or is it better to stay away from the maddening crowd?

Thanks so much!!!

We are thinking about doing that cruise next year - would love to hear what you think of being in Cannes during the festival.

Barbara

• 1 month later...

I was there this year the day before the festival started. If I wanted to stay there then I wouldnt go during the festival as alot of work going on and construction of tent cafes on beaches etc. The day before it was exciting to witness the preparations and I took the little train trip, which covered the festival side and also the old town which is lovely and I wouldnt have really found on my own. I loved my few hours in Cannes.