snorkeling reefs at Grand Turk

snc_cam

Looking at Yahoo maps (since GoogleEarth shows clouds over Grand Turk), it looks like the best "coral reef" to snorkel is off the southern tip of the island which is down the beach from the cruise port.

Has anyone done this area to snorkel and if so, is it easy to get to and safe to snorkel?

Thanks

Steve

On my last trip to GT I did an excursion which took us maybe 3 isles over to a nice coral garden - we spent about 45 minutes there, very nice. Then a short hop to a nearby beach where the guides enticed some sting rays to "visit" with us, a mini "sting ray city". While we were in a group around the guide holding up one of the rays, a baby 3 foot (not a nurse maybe tiger? lemon? don't remember) shark got inquisitive and circled us twice. Didn't bother the guides at all although they watched it carefully as I nervously did.

Edited by evandbob

On my last trip to GT I did an excursion which took us maybe 3 isles over to a nice coral garden - we spent about 45 minutes there, very nice. Then a short hop to a nearby beach where the guides enticed some sting rays to "visit" with us, a mini "sting ray city". While we were in a group around the guide holding up one of the rays, a baby 3 foot (not a nurse maybe tiger? lemon? don't remember) shark got inquisitive and circled us twice. Didn't bother the guides at all although they watched it carefully as I nervously did.

check out Blue Water Divers... they offer snorkel trips. That is what I am doing in October. I am a diver, but not traveling with a diver on this cruise. Looking forward to this excursion.