Do GT rates discourage FL residents to book ahead of time?

CP3o

I have a theory that the prevelence of GT rates might be higher (offered on more sailings) than they otherwise would be if DCL didn't seem to be favoring that discount over FLR.

It seems like GT rates work better for everyone (except maybe DCL if they'd like to offer fewer GT rates to fill ships). With the possibility of GT rates, FL residents don't have airline flights so may be incented to hold off booking if they seem more prevelant than FLR rates. (Except where high demand cruise or care about cabin selection)

If a FL resident thought they were going at a possible off peak time and there might be a GT rate later, they don't want to book ahead if they feel chances of GT greater than chances of FLR. With FLR rate, since can be applied after final payment, FL residents might go ahead and book and "hope" one will come out but are later too excited about the cruise and don't cancel and filling the ship decreases the chance of either rate popping up.

Maybe, FL residents deciding they shouldn't book ahead increases the chance a GT rate will be offered to everyone. GT rates are fairer, offered to everyone and seem to be a good way to fill ships at the last minute but I just wondered if FL residents help perpetuate GT rates in some cases as they have the shortest commute to a FL port.

I have a theory that the prevelence of GT rates might be higher (offered on more sailings) than they otherwise would be if DCL didn't seem to be favoring that discount over FLR.

It seems like GT rates work better for everyone (except maybe DCL if they'd like to offer fewer GT rates to fill ships). With the possibility of GT rates, FL residents don't have airline flights so may be incented to hold off booking if they seem more prevelant than FLR rates. (Except where high demand cruise or care about cabin selection)

If a FL resident thought they were going at a possible off peak time and there might be a GT rate later, they don't want to book ahead if they feel chances of GT greater than chances of FLR. With FLR rate, since can be applied after final payment, FL residents might go ahead and book and "hope" one will come out but are later too excited about the cruise and don't cancel and filling the ship decreases the chance of either rate popping up.

Maybe, FL residents deciding they shouldn't book ahead increases the chance a GT rate will be offered to everyone. GT rates are fairer, offered to everyone and seem to be a good way to fill ships at the last minute but I just wondered if FL residents help perpetuate GT rates in some cases as they have the shortest commute to a FL port.

I think they do, I have met people who booked just days before

It really depends on the sailing.

If FLRs were filling the ships on a consistent basis, the IGT/OGT/VGT might have never existed. However, FL res were never filling ships and the line was offering travel agent rates as low as $25 per passenger per night of cruise. The big difference is that a *GT is a "done deal" as soon as you book it. If a FL res has a regular reservation and the FLR comes out, they can switch to that discount.

I assume GT rates are for new bookings only but if you were upgrading and spending more money, could you move to a GT rate if it was released after final payment?

If booked an inside cabin and a VGT became available later that sold for for more, could up upgrade to it?

I assume GT rates are for new bookings only but if you were upgrading and spending more money, could you move to a GT rate if it was released after final payment?

If booked an inside cabin and a VGT became available later that sold for for more, could up upgrade to it?

Final payment has nothing to do with it IF you make the payment before the penalty date. The key is the penalty date. After that date, you would have to look at the numbers; sometimes it is worth accepting the penalty and doing a new booking.

No, you can't move an existing booking to a new category *GT even if you would be paying DCL more. It is strictly NEW bookings only. You'd have to cancel your existing booking and re-book.

Prior to the penalty date, you can get a full refund for your cruise if you cancel--whether you are paid in full or not.

Final payment has nothing to do with it IF you make the payment before the penalty date. The key is the penalty date. After that date' date=' you would have to look at the numbers; sometimes it is worth accepting the penalty and doing a new booking.

No, you can't move an existing booking to a new category *GT even if you would be paying DCL more. It is strictly NEW bookings only. You'd have to cancel your existing booking and re-book.

Prior to the penalty date, you can get a full refund for your cruise if you cancel--whether you are paid in full or not.[/quote']

I'm assuming most GT rates are released when already in penalty window. Just seems more desirable to hold off booking, if not a holiday or summer, if you are a FL resident or planning to drive to port. I didn't realize how much has changed since last booked a cruise over 5 years ago. I think I'd roll the dice next time and watch for GT rates instead of booking and hoping for a FLR rate.

Yes they do.

FL residents only book *GT and FLR rates generally. Most are smart enough not to book mid DCL pricing. They wait.

Of course there is always a FL group that books in advance as us, seeking the best cabins aboard.

You won't get the best cabins waiting for *GT and FLR rates.

FL residents are experienced in the DCL game of discounts.

They gamble outside of FL, not on DCL sailings. lol.

Locals sail at reduced rates often when FLR or *GT rates are offered

BTW FLR rates are released after *GT rates generally, So ... FL residents are not gambling.

Off season they just have to save the $ and wait. Watch the dates , and jump when these discounts are offered. Sounds simple to me, being out of state, but it is not.

There big dilemma is whether to book *GT or wait for FLR rates.

Sooooo... it's tough for our mates down south too. They have to struggle with a 10 -20 % discount 45 days out, or wait for a potential 30% or more discount at 20 days out.

I always envied them, till I gave it more thought. They are stressed out more than us, due to the opportunity clause. They could sail monthly on these deals theoretically. We couldn't possibly, being out of state. It's revealing ironically.

As mentioned, I'm pleased I live out of state. I would stress out watching FLR rates, knowing the opportunities.

BTW, Hello FL residents. :D

JMT

Edited by bear3412

I'm assuming most GT rates are released when already in penalty window. Just seems more desirable to hold off booking, if not a holiday or summer, if you are a FL resident or planning to drive to port. I didn't realize how much has changed since last booked a cruise over 5 years ago. I think I'd roll the dice next time and watch for GT rates instead of booking and hoping for a FLR rate.

It is generally (but not always) true that *GT rates are available only after the penalty window starts. And yes, if you can be flexible with dates, it might be wise to wait and see what happens. You can also book in advance and keep watching your cruise--if you see no increase in price and lots of availability (most or all categories still list multiple cabins), you might roll the dice and cancel right before the start of the penalty period. You can then rebook a few days later, possibly at a better rate. We worked this system last year and were able to go from an oceanview to a balcony and still save over $1000! This was a VGT booking.

Live and learn. Booked a week before final payment due and into penalty window a fairly high balcony rate and hoped for a FLR resident rate since late May and still availability (many still in school) and looks like there is a high probability there will be a GT rate but FLR rates unlikely.

They seem to strongly favor GT rates nowadays and I'll never book a DCL cruise ahead of time again. (May not anyway, kids are older, but that's another topic.) Once I knew FLR rates could be applied later, I decided no harm to book, but 6 years ago FLR rates were more likely so waiting, for those that can drive and don't need a particular cabin, makes a lot more sense nowadays.