July 20 Progresso/Cozumel Carnival Cruise - Fantasy

txfunmom

:pHi, I am traveling with my hubby and 2 daughters 7 and 8 yrs old on Carnival cruise. We are stopping in Progresso and Conzumel. I have read a lot of info about the Dzb Ruins, anyone have any comments about the horse/lunch/dance show that is an excursion? Is it only available to book thru the cruise? Autoprogresso only does just the Dsb tour for the $29. Is the horse/lunch/dance show worth the extra $$. I know it will be hot we are from TX!! We may just do the bus tour of Meridia and shop and walk around? Any thoughts on that? Any info is GREAT!!!

Also in Cozumel we are planning to go to Mr. Sanchos beach reasort and horse back ride and spend the day there. Anyone out that who has done that any comments would be great!! THANKS!!!

Just want to have a good time but not waste money on things that aren't worth it!

I didn't even know that thumbs down was on there. Didn't mean anything by it and now I have no idea how to take it off :confused: Also, I did contact AutoProgresso and they only mentioned the $29 Dzb ruins tour.

I thought I saw a picture on the board somewhere showing a sign on the dock with more trips that were offered by them than they have listed on their site. Anybody remember anything like that? Mad Cow is setting in and sometimes the memory is not all there.

I'm on the 20th cruise as well. It sounds like you are most interested in the horse/lunch/dance show, but I did contact Autoprogreso and they do have additional tours if they have enough people sign up. For instance they will have a tour to Chichen Itza or Uxmal (for $49) if they have at least 4 people sign up.

There are many options from Progreso - it depends on how much time you want to spend doing different things.

Dziblchaltun is the most popular as it is close and is a nice intro to the whole Mayan culture. The museum is great, the cenote is refreshing.

Sotuta de Peon is an hacienda tour, a little bit of a drive, perhaps an hour each way, but I always recommend it highly as it has something for everyone.

Chichen is the Queen of Mayan Ruins, but I don't recommend it because of the driving involved. 2.5-3 hours there. Same back. Thats just too much driving.

Uxmal is in second place in the ruins category, although to me more magical than the overpromoted Chichen Itza. Closer than Chichen but still a bit of a haul, driving-wise.

Cuzama cenotes are about 2-2.5 hours out from Progreso, fantastic tour of 3 in a row, not for small kids or elderly folks since there is some climbing involved.

A Merida tour and then lunch at La Tradicion (my favorite Yucatecan food restaurant) is also a good option.

Feel free to email me for more info on this or anything else you might be considering!

Sotuta de Peon hacienda tour is my favorite thing to do in the area. This used to be, and is once again, a working henequin plantation. Henequin, or sisal, is the product used to make rope and other items. They offer a very informative tour of the main house, the production of the sisal, and the henequin fields. They have equipment that is hundreds of years old, including weaving machines that are wondrous. Part of your tour is even a mule drawn wagon on rails.

The tour ends at one of the prettiest cenotes I have ever seen, a great place for a swim.

If you go, please be sure to have lunch at the restaurant - food is incredible.

Archived