I want to see some ruins, so if I can only see one, which one should it be??

NolaZach

I am a history buff, and I am most excited about seeing some ruins while in Progresso as I plan on beaching it up in Cozumel.

So Chitzen Itza is probably the most popular, but it is a 7+ hour excursion.

Mainly I want to be wowed, and time really isn't an option as I will book through Carnival to garantee that I don't miss the boat.

I have heard other people mention Dzibilchaltun and Uxmal. So what are the pros and cons of each?

What are some experiences that you have had?

Is Itza worth the long trip or am I just as good going to the much closer Dzibilchaltun?

Also I have never heard of Uxmal but a lot of people saw it is the "best looking".

So from the standpoint of someone who wants the see the best example of a mayan city and is interested in the history, and lives somewhere where the average temp is in the 90's with 75%+ humidity(so heat isn't a factor) which would be the best to visit?

Yucatan Today has an article on Uxmal here: http://yucatantoday.com/en/topics/uxmal and on Dzibilchaltun here: http://yucatantoday.com/en/topics/dzibilchaltun .

Dzib is closer, but a smaller site. Some of the bus tours to Uxmal also include a stop for lunch at a restored hacienda, so you get to see another part of the history of the region.

• 1 month later...

Hi NolaZach,

I've been to Chichen Itza and Uxmal, and I find Chichen Itza to be much more impressive and interesting.

Neither trip was on a ship's excursion, both were when we were visiting Mexico.

We love the ruins and have been to Teotihuacan, Monte Alban, Tula, Labna, and Kabah in Mexico. We've been to Lamanai in Belize.

It's been a long time since we were at Chichen Itza or Uxmal and when we were there you could climb and wander anywhere.

We are going on a Carnival cruise in late Oct. and we have the same decision to make. In checking the Carnival shore excursion details, they list travel time from Progresso to Uxmal and to Chichen Itza as 2 hours.

The Uxmal excursion is 6 1/2 hours and the Chichen Itza excursion is 7.

The cost is the same. It appears that you spend longer at Chichen Itza.

I have read that the Chichen Itza tours are much more crowded, but we have decided to go there again anyway.

Either one is worthwhile.

DH and I went to Uxmal last year. It was amazing, and you do get to climb one of the big pyramids in the back of the park. Very hot... But it was awesome,...climbing up and looking out over the jungle. Kinda like you stepped back in time a thousand years or so. We are taking our 3 boys in June, but we are going to Chichen Itza this time, simply because of the 7 WOW thing. They are excited.

Am about to book cruise 2011/short and cheap/saving for Alaska 2012, I thought I had it figured out where I wanted to go until I read this thread. Uxmal? What is it's importance. Sorry I know someone had a link to info but my computer won't pull it up.:( .Please help, Marshhawk

• 3 months later...

We went to Chichen Itza last April and it was certainly impressive! It is absolutely an interesting and worthwhile trip for any history buff. The only thing I really did not like about CI was the loooong drive. It's a good 4+ hours in the bus round trip and we only got about an hour and a half to look at the ruins which was NOT enough. Chichen Itza is a huge complex of various buildings and sites that are all incredible and worthy of checking out. I left feeling as though I had wasted most of the day sitting on a bus and wishing I had gone to something closer even if it was slightly less impressive.

I'm not super familiar with the geography of this part of the world but it seems like CI might be left for a different port that would put you closer to the actual site. I remember passing signs on the highway for Cancun and Playa del Carmen but again I'm not sure of the distance there.

We went to Chichen Itza last April and it was certainly impressive! It is absolutely an interesting and worthwhile trip for any history buff. The only thing I really did not like about CI was the loooong drive. It's a good 4+ hours in the bus round trip and we only got about an hour and a half to look at the ruins which was NOT enough. Chichen Itza is a huge complex of various buildings and sites that are all incredible and worthy of checking out. I left feeling as though I had wasted most of the day sitting on a bus and wishing I had gone to something closer even if it was slightly less impressive.

I'm not super familiar with the geography of this part of the world but it seems like CI might be left for a different port that would put you closer to the actual site. I remember passing signs on the highway for Cancun and Playa del Carmen but again I'm not sure of the distance there.

My first trip to Chichen Itza I made a mistake of taking the ship offered tour. 6 hour bus ride (the driver was lost most of the time). Just had barely 1 hour at the ruins. Enough people complained on board that they refunded half the cost of the so-called tour. My next trip to the Yucatan was by land. Spent 2 days at the ruins and still did not see everything. Plus by taking the day tour you miss the best part, the ruins at night, amazing lighting and entertainment.

Archived