Cabin upgrade fairy

Deckhandoug

Hooray, we got a free upgrade on our cabin for our upcoming Poesia cruise!:)

Did you get notification from your TA or from MSC? Since I posted on the member's board also, you don't need to answer twice!!!!! I wasn't sure which post you might check. :oThanks.

Well our upgrade story is much less fun. We booked the Poesia months ago, and about a month before the cruise the price dropped $140pp. Often when this happens the cruise lines will offer early bookers some compensation to reward and encourage early bookings, like ship board credits, refunds, and free upgrades. Some people have even reported getting an automatic refund of the difference without even asking, that might have been Princess. We asked our TA to call MSC and see what they would do. They told our TA they would not offer any monetary compensation, but they would put us on a “courtesy upgrade” list if we would release our current cabin and agree to accept whatever upgrade might occur. Since this was our only option we agreed. Four days before the cruise and no word, so our TA called them and was told no upgrade, and then we found out that they had taken our preferred cabin and given us another one in the same category in a worse location.

We heard some other people got MSC upgrades, don’t know the circumstances, but for us we would have saved a lot of money if we waited closer to the cruise to book at the lower rate, that’s a lot of beers.

-Sober and Sadder Bob

When I first started researching MSC, I found that sometimes passengers would get upgraded without asking for or knowing about it. I was pretty firm when I booked the cruise that I did not want an upgrade, because we were booking an aft cabin for the first time and I wanted that experience. 2 months before the cruise, my travel agent called me and told me that MSC had offered 2 adjoining balcony cabins for $300 more, instead of my aft cabin. I wanted to think about it, but my husband and kids wanted the extra room. I wondered if I could have gotten a credit instead?

We booked pretty early, so I'm sure that contributed to our upgrade, sounds like you did get a raw deal Bob.

Yes, those aft facing balconies are great, we had one on the NCL SKY and really enjoyed it.

I would think they would rather give us cabin upgrades if they are available rather than cash, if the ships not full I suppose giving out a better cabin doesn't cost them anything.

Well our upgrade story is much less fun. We booked the Poesia months ago, and about a month before the cruise the price dropped $140pp. Often when this happens the cruise lines will offer early bookers some compensation to reward and encourage early bookings, like ship board credits, refunds, and free upgrades. Some people have even reported getting an automatic refund of the difference without even asking, that might have been Princess. We asked our TA to call MSC and see what they would do. They told our TA they would not offer any monetary compensation, but they would put us on a “courtesy upgrade” list if we would release our current cabin and agree to accept whatever upgrade might occur. Since this was our only option we agreed. Four days before the cruise and no word, so our TA called them and was told no upgrade, and then we found out that they had taken our preferred cabin and given us another one in the same category in a worse location.

We heard some other people got MSC upgrades, don’t know the circumstances, but for us we would have saved a lot of money if we waited closer to the cruise to book at the lower rate, that’s a lot of beers.

-Sober and Sadder Bob

Our story is similar to yours. We booked last March, and I see this March they are offering military rates. It would have saved us over 600 bucks. Onboard credit? Nope. Upgrade? Nope. Beverage package? Nope. Price adjustment? hahaha yeah I'm funny.

In the end, I paid 200 MORE and got 2 cabins vs. 1, but it still defeated the whole purpose of saving money.

Good Morning Fellow Cruisers,

Time for a happy story! We booked just 10 days ago.

We selected a cabin down low-- in the booth in the back in the corner in the dark next to the bilges.

I delayed entering the personal info into their form until yesterday. {~TWINKLE~} We seem to have been assigned to a superior balcony on D'Annuzio deck. Boy are we stoked now!

We've never traveled with MCS, only RC. Are they trying to court us?

it's only a week away!

• 1 month later...

I booked three cabins on the 3 night on April 24, 2010. All booked Inside last year March, one in September, and were upgraded to Balcony. It was a pleasant surprise which we found out when doing our Express Check-in.

Archived