Dr Michael Poole - Tour details please !

bandt

Hi folks

We would like to make the most of our day in Moorea and really want to take the dolphin viewing tour with Dr Michael Poole which has received so many accolades from Cruise Critic posters.

Can anyone tell us if this excursion is scheduled in the morning and how long it lasts ? We would like to hire a car afterwards to do some sightseeing by ourselves. Is this a viable project ? The ship is in port from 8.00 a.m. till 6.00p.m.

Similarly, we would like to hire a car in Bora Bora. Would we have some time left to relax on the private motu?

Many thanks

Bandt

We just came back yesterday from the 7-day cruise, weather wasn't so great, but overall we loved the cruise.Dolphin tour was cancelled because of rain, but it was supposed to be good,here are some details: You meet at 8:15, get on the shore after 8:30, tour is 3 1/2 hours. They will get you back to the port, so you can go somewhere from there (there are cars for rent on the spot and taxis - quite expensive). There is no motu trip on Moorea, there is a motu trip with bar and lunch on Taha'a, and then motu (with bar only) tenders on Bora-Bora for both days. Typically tenders go to the motu and to the port every 30 minutes, depending on weather. Beach and snorkeling was better on Bora-Bora motu. We went to Stingray Ballet excursion on Bora-Bora and it was our favorite (Thanks for the suggestion, Wendy) ! If you have any more questions let me know your e-mail.

Hey, great, glad you enjoyed the stingrays Sophia!

Bandt, are you on the 7-day itinerary? If so, you should have two days in Moorea, plenty of time to rent a car. But yes, you could rent for 4 hours in the afternoon, and have plenty of time to drive around the island and up to the Belvedere lookout.

And as Sophia pointed out, weather permitting, the BB motu is available for days (or at least afternoons), so plenty of time to get out onto the island and drive around for a few hours.

If you're on another itinerary, you may have just one day in BB or Mooorea, or both.

...there is a motu trip with bar and lunch on Taha'a, and then motu (with bar only) tenders on Bora-Bora for both days... Beach and snorkeling was better on Bora-Bora motu.

Welcome back Sophia.

Bora Bora's beach and snorkeling were better than the private motu near Taha'a? I'd never have thought it possible, however, given reports that the private motu sustained damaged from the storms, I'm beginning to imagine that the pass off the private motu took a considerable beating underwater.

Could you elaborate for us on what your snorkeling experience was in both locations? TIA!

My info is dated, our last visit was 2008, but the Bora Bora Motu has deeper water nearby and so I saw bigger see life. Rays swimming in formation, octopus swimming free, etc. The Motu Mahana has a more shallow area with a lot of sea life but the smaller creatures.

The Motu Mahana is better suited for the folks that either don't swim or float on the surface, the Bora Bora motu requires real swimming to find things to look at.

Welcome back Sophia.

Bora Bora's beach and snorkeling were better than the private motu near Taha'a? I'd never have thought it possible, however, given reports that the private motu sustained damaged from the storms, I'm beginning to imagine that the pass off the private motu took a considerable beating underwater.

Could you elaborate for us on what your snorkeling experience was in both locations? TIA!

We were in FP after the cyclon and tsunami and I heard that Taha'a motu sustained some damage. Motu Mahana had tons of sea cucumbers and sharp corals and urchins right form the shore, so that was practically impossible to go there without shoes and it just happened that that day there was a strong current. Snorkling was not bad, I just liked Bora Bora beter. Bora Bora motu had nice sand for a while and no currents that day and I went deep and there was much more to see there, including an octopus. I'm sure things could be different at a different time.

Just to keep the newbies informed, at Motu Mahana they usually do a good job of clearing the sea urchins from the roped wading area. When you venture out from that area was where the sea urchins and sea cucumbers( you can step on sea cucumbers without injury but I don't think they like to be stepped on). We saw an octopus everytime we visited Motu Mahana, I accused them of planting it there in the morning before the guests arrived. We also saw lion fish there.

Archived