Stargazing !

bandt

Hello Folks

We are hoping to bring back wonderful memories of coral reefs and turquoise-tinted lagoons but would also like to "explore" the wonderful skies (clear, we hope, in May) that we will be able to observe on the PG - one poster referred to magnificent views of the Milky Way..... I checked out Google Earth 'sky view' but it seemed a little confusing. Would anyone have any advice about "stargazing" or recommend a little book or website that would be useful for the uninitiated?

Many thanks

Brian & Tony

There was actually a program on the ship that talked about the stars! Unfortunately it was canceled on our trip due to poor weather (clouds...). When it was clear though, the start were gorgeous!! I don't know what we were looking at, but it did indeed look like a much larger Milky Way than we have at home. So clear and so bright! Let us know if you find a good resource.

Kim

Hi Kim

It is great to know that, clear skies permitting, there is an on-board lecture about the stars.

I did some research on the Net and have ordered the following book from an on-line book store :

"A Walk Through the Southern Sky: A Guide to Stars and Constellations and Their Legends" by Milton D. Heifetz

It seems very easy to use and quite comprehensive. I'll let you know if it is useful.

There was also "The Night Sky, Southern Hemisphere (Large) Star Finder (Map)" which is a hard plastic moveable wheel chart of the stars. It would be very portable but, unfortunately, for the moment, it out of stock.

All the best

Brian & Tony

722348738_TheNightSky.jpg.800d5c30072bf26e1fe2e2b61cac8222.jpg

Those books sound great. I surfed around and found a decent star chart for the southern hemisphere, for the timeframe I was there, and printed it. But take a little red light flashlight with you if you take a book outside, or it won't be very useful to you. Finding the southern cross is fun.

Brian,

There is a stargazing expert on board ship. It is the dive master Dominique. He love's to gaze at the stars most nights on the back of the ship at La Palette Lounge. You can find him usually at the dive desk on your first day. He even has his own Navy style binoculars (huge).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kim, Wendy & Caloilman

I received the book "A walk through the Southern Sky" from the online bookseller.

Lightweight (for your carry-on !), a delight to read, with detailed star charts for the months and seasons in the Southern Hemisphere.

Great for beginners like Tony and I, and also, I'm sure, for more experienced enthusiasts.

An informative section is included about the legends of the constellations.

Looking forward to contacting Dominique on board.

All the best

B & T

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what we were looking at, but it did indeed look like a much larger Milky Way than we have at home.

The central part of the Milky Way (in Sagittarius) is very low for northern observers but directly overhead at the latitude of FP. Plus city lights wash out the Milky Way and most of the stars. Best time for viewing in southern hemisphere is late winter through early fall.

Also, ask a knowledgeable person to show you giant star cluster Omega Centauri and the Clouds of Magellan (nearby dwarf galaxies).

If you ever get a chance to do this, take the tender back from Bora Bora on a clear night. We did this and it felt like the sky was going to swallow you up--no light pollution from the ship! Best star viewing we had (even though we'd always spend a lot of time up on deck once the lights were turned off for the stargazing sessions). Gorgeous.

Archived