Peso or Dollars in Merdia & ATM

Going back reading some postings from others about Merida.

Noticed that a few stated while the major places in Merida have no problem taking dollars, some of the smaller places prefer pesos.

Prior to taking the local bus to Merida is there an ATM in the area. If not, is there a bank or currency exchange near the main area in Medria?

I really don't want to withdraw money from an ATM in the area.

There is a chance I can get Pesos prior to leaving home. If so, how much do you suggest? What I don't use in Medria, I can use in Cozumel the next day.

If you get pesos at your local bank or AAA, they have to be ordered and the fee is pretty high. In Merida's central area there are several currency exchanges and also the Casa de Montejo, circa 1549, on the central plaza has a bank with ATM and teller service. Personally, I would just carry small demoninations of US dollars and make sure the bills are in good shape.

If you are just going to Merida for the day I am figuring that you will be staying around the Centro downtown area. US currency is widely excepted at all the shops. I would suggest that you take small bills as you will probably get change back in Pesos or even pieces of candy. The further away that you get from the main plaze the more you will find local stores and restraurants that would prefure to not take US. Most still will but the exchange rate will kill you. When I go over for the day I don't bother to exchange money. For longer trips I will.

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I just found out this evening that the airport currency exchange don't charge airport employee the exchange rate charge.

One of my co-workers son when to Europe for spring break. He went to exchange dollars for Euros and no charge! Alot of employees are not aware of this.

I will just get $100 in pesos and use all of it between Merdia and Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...
Tamara, the exchange rate should be 11.5 - 12 pesos to one US dollar.

I purchase $75. The amount I got was $800 in pesos. I figured what I don't use in Medria, I can in Cozumel.

My co worker was right about no charge for airport/airline employees. Had my badge on and once she checked it that was it!

We (Greta and I) are going to split the pesos up for usage in Medria. She printed out alot of great stuff from the Yucatan Today board.

We are going to try some of the food stalls. Greta printed out a great article about the Mercado Lucas de Galvez food stalls. Between the article and photos, we have our mind set on both lechon and cochinita!

One of our co-workers got us with some basic Spanish and we are ready!!!

We also noticed that the tourist office offers a free walking tour everyday at 9:30 a.m. in Medria. We will also do the carriage ride. Depending on how we feel, the Turibus is another option. We will leave at 1:00 p.m. to give us enough time to return to Progresso.

Can't wait for next week!

We (Greta and I) are going to split the pesos up for usage in Medria. She printed out alot of great stuff from the Yucatan Today board.

We are going to try some of the food stalls. Greta printed out a great article about the Mercado Lucas de Galvez food stalls. Between the article and photos, we have our mind set on both lechon and cochinita!

One of our co-workers got us with some basic Spanish and we are ready!!!

We also noticed that the tourist office offers a free walking tour everyday at 9:30 a.m. in Medria. We will also do the carriage ride. Depending on how we feel, the Turibus is another option. We will leave at 1:00 p.m. to give us enough time to return to Progresso.

Can't wait for next week!

The Tuirbus is a good way for new comers to Merida to get the layout of the city. One of the best things about it that you can get off and get back on if you see something that is interesting to you. I go frequently enough to be comfortable using the "colectivos" to get around in and out of the city. It helps that my Spanish is moving slightly above the Spanglish level. The Mercado Lucas de Galvez is a destination unto itself. It is a social hub of the city with lots of activity around the area. Have fun in Merida. It is a very easy city to get attached too.

• 1 month later...

In Merida - the ATM inside the shopping area (street level) at Fiesta Americana (where you can get to Chili's, the little local shops, Subway, etc.) has a great ATM that gives you a choice of Pesos or US Dollars for your withdrawals, and a great bank exchange rate if you withdraw pesos!

Archived