Best Karaoke Host? (Inspiration!!)

Hi everyone.... long time reader-cruiser, first time poster.

I'm a die-hard karaoke-head (call me what you will)... and have usually found Karaoke on cruise ships to be subpar. Yes, the crowd is usually fun, but the song selection, by and large, bites... and whoever is running it usually has no idea what they're doing, be it a full-time host, or simply a social host or random staff member 'filling in'...

This guy on the Inspiration, though.. WOW! His name is K.J. (pure coincidence, I guess) and previously, on my last cruise on the Miracle (4-04) he was there, as well! Not only does he bring his OWN karaoke library, he actually knows how to mix sound, and he's a FABULOUS singer and entertainer! Why he doesn't go for production singer, I don't imagine, especially after sailing the Glory on 10-03 and hearing the joke of a man they had there....Nowhere else will you see one man sing a Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand duet covering both parts, simultaneously, ON KEY... I never laughed so hard!

Karaoke hosts seem to get overlooked in the reviews and for my first post I just wanted to mention this guy who has made my last two cruises very special indeed. How bout the rest of you? Have you seen KJ, and if not, who were your favorite Karaoke Hosts? Any horror stories? Eager to hear from you!

LookingGlass

I'd definitley call him a pro... and he's young too, no older than 23 I think. I spoke with him briefly on the Inspiration after recognizing him from the Miracle and he spoke of that being his last ship. (he said he'd done 6, 7, I forgot) Sad how all the good ones leave!

Other good things about the Inspiration.. Lenny (Cruise Director) had me in stitches and was a wonderful singer as well.... and the live band, Music Network, is NOT to be missed.... much more 'personality' than the other bands on most ships who are basically just 'jukeboxes'.

LookingGlass

• 1 month later...

Thank you Looking Glass for mentioning the music. I've been reading reviews of Inspiration cruises in anticipation of my first cruise on 3/24, and haven't really seen anything about good tunes. I love live music, especially rock, and I've been curious what the offerings on the ship are. In Cozumel, too.

D

• 2 years later...

I agree that the karaoke on many cruise ships suffer from a lack of professionalism, short show times, and poor selection of karaoke tunes. Often times a busboy is running the karaoke on these cruises ships and it's laughable.

My friends and I decided to take the bull by the horns and are doing the karaoke ourselves on our ocean vacations with our own equipment and computerized song library. We now have a solution so we can party our butts off rather than gamble our money away.

Check our my website for details on more professional karaoke cruises and join us in 2008.

www.karaokecruises.net

and my local show in California at www.karaokewithclass.com

GB

Archived