Gentlemen's Shirts ?

bandt

Do all gentlemen wear long-sleeved shirts in the evening or are elegant short-sleeved button-down shirts acceptable?

Thanks

Brian

Generally, anything with buttons. Although, a couple of years ago there was a LONG thread about if 'Golf' shirts were OK. Generally, anything reasonably nice is acceptable.

That's the other issue. Sport coat. DH will take one, just cause he feels more comfortable at something like the Captain's reception wearing a jacket. But it isn't necessary, and there are evenings where he wears just a shirt - short sleeve is fine - DH has quite a few knockoff Tommy Bahama type shirts.....it is so tropical outside, believe me you will want to wear as little as possible....:D

For the most part, those you who"dress up" look out of place at dinner and other affairs. A nice shirt and khaki pants for dinner is the norm. No blue jeans for either sex at dinner.

We are not "big" dressers and never felt over dressed for our PG cruises. This will be our 5th PG cruise.

Thank you for your helpful replies.

I have a collection of 100% cotton polo shirts that are certainly not "dressy" but quite elegant. However, the brochure that came with the tickets states "slacks and collared shirts for men (no golf shirts)" so I just wondered what the onboard situation was.

All the best

Brian

So they still say that now that Regent is not managing the ship? Interesting.

All I can say is that just over a year ago I definitely saw golf shirts. Our friend and fellow-traveller Jim wore a nice one several nights while other nights he was natty in a starched stripped long-sleeve. There was one woman on board, a nice lady, who I swear wore a women's golf shirt every night. Oh, and then there was the diver who wore jeans in the dining room every night...

So they still say that now that Regent is not managing the ship? Interesting.

At least from the standpoint of written materials, nothing has changed!

It looks like someone got electronic copies of all the Regent documents and did a 'search and replace' of all occurances of the word Regent and all the logos and left the rest EXACTLY the same.

My husband brought one long sleeve button down for the Captain's dinner. He also wore it one night at La Veranda. The rest of the nights were short sleeve nicer Alohas! I would say anything with a collar would be fine... :)

• 3 weeks later...
Slacks. No shorts. Unless PG Cruises has changed the code, they're actually not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner.

Thanks Wendy.I will be a first timer on the Paul Gauguin and am attempting to get as much info as possible in a very limited timeframe!

Thanks again for your response.

At least from the standpoint of written materials, nothing has changed!

It looks like someone got electronic copies of all the Regent documents and did a 'search and replace' of all occurances of the word Regent and all the logos and left the rest EXACTLY the same.

LOL Mtn! It sounds as if that is exactly what has happened!

bandt, DH wore his polo shirt or button down oxford with his khakis each night for dinner. I think he brought a tie and one jacket, but didn't wear either. It was definately very casual and he did fine with his standard issue man fashions. :D

Thanks Anglergirl

Cases are nearly finished..... we've opted for "less is best".... comfortable 100% cotton shirts and polos with smart slacks for evening, shorts and tees for daytime. Getting really excited ..... we leave in two days from Paris ! Old Icelandic Yeller is starting up again...... hope that our trip to Paradise isn't affected !

B&T

BandT!! We are so excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear how your trip goes. Are you making the trip from Paris all in one day? When we went home on ATN (Papeete to LAX) the plane continued on to Paris and was probably more than half filled with people continuing with the flight. I can't imagine the long day!

Have a wonderful time and please tell us about your trip when you get home!! Are you on the Fiji Westbound? 13 night? We will follow along in the itinerary and be envious every single day!!!

Aloha!

Kim

Have a wonderful trip. We are leaving in June (12) and are beginning to make lists. For DH and dinner, we will do khaki slacks and very light weight dress pants, with dressy polos, longsleeve cotton shirt (Travelsmith makes an excellent one which does not need ironing), maybe hawaiian shirts (problem they don't really go with pants).

I am hoping to buy sundress in Papeete, have one long tropical coverup (floor length)/mu mu, don't know if it is dressy enough for dinner.

I envy you your French. Quand je commencais etudier l'italien (mon mari est italien), j'ai oublie` tout le francais. Not that there was ever that much to start with.

Sundresses are great, perfect really. But a nice top and nice pants are also fine for ladies. Make sure to buy a pareo or two while there, great for the pool deck and excursions, and if they still do it, they will have a Polynesian night towards the end of the cruise where you can wear one to dinner, if you're brave (the Gauguines also have pareo tying classes.) Waaaa! I wanna go!

Sundresses are great, perfect really. But a nice top and nice pants are also fine for ladies. Make sure to buy a pareo or two while there, great for the pool deck and excursions, and if they still do it, they will have a Polynesian night towards the end of the cruise where you can wear one to dinner, if you're brave (the Gauguines also have pareo tying classes.) Waaaa! I wanna go!

Go for it!:)

Ia Orana, Kim and cmstraf

Thanks for your good wishes

We're getting into the starting blocks and hoping that the unpronounceable volcano won't hinder (or should I say cinder !) our trip.

Yes, we're doing the long, long trip from CDG to LAX and PPT. Time permitting, we are hoping to get a day-use room at an airport hotel in LAX to freshen up and relax. Arrival in PPT at 4.00 am so we have booked two nights at the Sofitel (to be able to have immediate access to our room). A long trip indeed but with the PG to look forward to, it won't be too bad. The way back home via New Caledonia and Tokyo with a big dose of reality waiting for us in Paris is another story !

Will promise to take plenty of photos and answer any questions when we get back. Couldn't compete with Kim's great review but will try to note as many details as possible. It's part of the fun to read other cruisers' impressions before you go.

All the best

Brian & Tony

P.S. Saw some great rates for June...... is that too soon to go back? :) Maybe I should have checked if my FP Flu shot is still valid !

P.P.S Cmstraf : Une bonne excuse pour retourner en Polynésie française: un cours de rattrapage (refresher course) en français ! :)

Ia Orana Kim and cmstraf

Thanks for your good wishes.

We're getting into the starting blocks and hoping that the unpronounceable volcano won't hinder (or should I say cinder !) our trip. Yes, we're doing the long, long trip from CDG to LAX and PPT. Time permitting, we are hoping to get a day-use room at an airport hotel in LAX to freshen up and relax. Arrival in PPT at 4.00 am so we have booked two nights at the Sofitel (to be able to have immediate access to our room). A long trip indeed but with the PG to look forward to, it won't be too bad. The way back through New Caledonia and Tokyo with a big dose of reality waiting for us in Paris is another story !

Will promise to take plenty of photos and answer any questions when we get back. Couldn't compete with Kim's great review but will try to note as many details as possible. It's part of the fun to read other cruisers' impressions before you go.

All the best

Brian & Tony

P.S. Saw some great rates for June...... is that too soon to go back? :)

The May - June 2010 packages available through PG are absolutely incredible!I was unable to find anyone who had 3 weeks available to take on the Eastbound Figi journey.However,I am ready and up for the challenge!:)

Yes!! They still have a Polynesian night towards the end of the cruise... there were a number of people who did wear their pareos, but I didn't have the nerve....!

Ia Orana, Kim and cmstraf

Thanks for your good wishes

We're getting into the starting blocks and hoping that the unpronounceable volcano won't hinder (or should I say cinder !) our trip.

Yes, we're doing the long, long trip from CDG to LAX and PPT. Time permitting, we are hoping to get a day-use room at an airport hotel in LAX to freshen up and relax. Arrival in PPT at 4.00 am so we have booked two nights at the Sofitel (to be able to have immediate access to our room). A long trip indeed but with the PG to look forward to, it won't be too bad. The way back home via New Caledonia and Tokyo with a big dose of reality waiting for us in Paris is another story !

All the best

Brian & Tony

P.S. Saw some great rates for June...... is that too soon to go back? :) Maybe I should have checked if my FP Flu shot is still valid !

P.P.S Cmstraf : Une bonne excuse pour retourner en Polynésie française: un cours de rattrapage (refresher course) en français ! :)

Bon Voyage! We will be thinking of you for the next few weeks and following along the itinerary. Here's wishing you cinder-free travels! :)

XO

Kim

Archived