FYI Public Transit to/from Seattle Airport to Pier 90/91

runnerodb83

Everyone, given the number of questions on the topic, I thought I would use Google Maps and draw up a route to answer many questions that come up. I've tried this route and it has worked for me twice (will be testing it again in a few weeks). It's alot cheaper than a cab.

The route does require about 0.85 miles of flat walking or using a ramp that is ADA approved.

Right now its only for people taking the trip FROM the terminal to the airport, but the reverse trip is essenitally the same.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=104381179081499366041.00048fc2ef6c14dc18f8f&ll=47.622248,-122.355852&spn=0.044198,0.07699&t=h&z=14

Be warned...

After conversing with a represenative of the Port of Seattle, I've learned that the East entrance to the port (the one without any stairs) is technically a commercial entrance. No taxis or private vehicles are permitted to enter at this location. I suppose you could get dropped off here, but if you have luggage you may as well go to the main drop off point and take a shuttle in. They did stop short of saying that pedestrians are not allowed, however they menchioned that its a long walk (yes) and if you are unfamiliar with the port itself it could be to your disadvantage.

Additionally, another poster has said that getting past security at this location is hit or miss, even with the approved documentation (passport, cruise ticket etc).

I've updated my map in the previous link to display this information.

I always weigh the pros and cons of using the absolute cheapest most incovenient way to get somewhere vs taking a cab. Is saving $10 the ultimate goal to start a vacation????I'm a tour guide and while there are always ways to save $$ is telling a party of 6 with luggage and carryons to hop on a city bus and walk thru an industrial area to get to your cruise?

I'd really suggest saving some $$ while your at home so you can start your vacation without a lot of the hassle.

I always weigh the pros and cons of using the absolute cheapest most incovenient way to get somewhere vs taking a cab. Is saving $10 the ultimate goal to start a vacation????I'm a tour guide and while there are always ways to save $$ is telling a party of 6 with luggage and carryons to hop on a city bus and walk thru an industrial area to get to your cruise?

I'd really suggest saving some $$ while your at home so you can start your vacation without a lot of the hassle.

Agreed, and for the 95% of people who cruise through seattle, they will pay the extra to avoid the hassle which is entirely understandable. My info is directed at the folks who who live in/near Seattle (or are more public transit inclined) and are perhaps cruising a repositioning cruise and would like to avoid overpaying for essentially the same service that public transit provides. Sure it's not as convenient, but when my wife and I have done these short cruises in the past, we could have spent $40 getting a taxi from the subrurbs, or spent $0 via the bus (we both have metro passes that are paid for). For a short 1-3 night cruise, $40 extra bucks pays tips, buys drinks, specialty dining rooms, etc...and its kind of an adventure.

But for a group larger than 2 or 3 on a longer voyage, i wouldn't take the above route.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I just used public transit from SEA-TAC to Pier 91 on 8/5 & back on 8/12. We had no issues toting around a large rolling suitcase and rolling carry-on each, plus my camera backpack on me. We walked the approximately .5 mile from the terminal to the Link light rail station. After exiting the University station in downtown Seattle, we wallked about a block to the new Target on the corner of 2nd and Union to purchase a couple of bottles of wine for the cruise. Then we walked two blocks to 4th and Union to catch the route 24 bus. The bus driver said many people use transit to the pier, and he does the same when he cruises. We got off on the Magnolia bridge and brought our suitcases down one levels one at a time. The remaining .5 mile walk to the ship was no problem as the ground is level and the walkway is marked with white stripes.

For the return trip, we took the route bus again and exited at Pine St. We walked a few blocks to Pike Place Market and enjoyed excellent chowder at Pike Place Chowder, in Post Alley. Then we walked a few blocks to the University Station for the return trip on light rail to the airport. Being able to pick up the wine, enjoy some great chowder, and saving $ made it worth our while and we would do it again. It cost us $5 per person each way to take public transit, instead of $22-25 + tip for a shuttle.

We are active, healthy, and around 40, so it wasn't much of a physical challenge. The most difficult part was carrying the bags up/down stairs. I carried both suitcases and my wife handled the carry-ons. On 8/5, the temperature was about 90 degrees and it still wasn't very difficult. Negotiating Pike Place Market was also a challenge. If you enjoy an adventure and are in relatively good health, I recommend it.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread again, with a twist.....

We will be taking the Bolt Bus from Vancouver to Seattle, King St @ 5th, prior to embarking from pier 91. Would it still be possible to take public transit from there to the pier.

Reviving this thread again, with a twist.....

We will be taking the Bolt Bus from Vancouver to Seattle, King St @ 5th, prior to embarking from pier 91. Would it still be possible to take public transit from there to the pier.

Short answer, YES

Long answer, are you planning to do this on a saturday or sunday?

There are a few ways to do this and it really depends on the answers to a few questions:

1. Do you mind walking down some narrow stairs?
  2. Are you willing to wait around for up to 30 minutes?
  3. Would you prefer to walk further to avoid stairs?

Route Option 1:

There are two routes that have a stop close to the bolt bus terminus, 19, 24, and 33. All these routes only run about every half and hour. Only 24 runs on the weekends. This is the most direct route and has no transfers but requires negotiating the narrow staircase.

If you choose to go this way, its easy once you get to the correct bus stop. Bolt Bus will drop you off at 5th and King/Weller, you then need to walk 1 block north to 5th and Jackson (the next northern street with a stoplight), walk 1 block west to 4th and Jackson, and then get to the island bus stop on the north side of Jackson.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4th+Ave+S+%26+S+Jackson+St/@47.5997699,-122.32871,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54906abb6c25f981:0x81aec03e08d502f

From there, catch the 19, 24, or 33 (bus schedules here: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/, make sure to toggle the correct day of week, or use the trip planner or googles trip planner).

Get off the bus on the Magnolia Bridge, its about a 20 minute ride and if you ask nicely the bus driver will let you know when to get off. From the bus stop on the bridge, turn right and cross a small loading bay area at bridge level and watch for a small metal staircase at the eastern side of the loading bay. Decend the stairs and walk under the bridge until you are at ground level and a guard shack. Most times I've had the guard take a glance at my passport and cruise ticket and then let you go through. Other times no one was there. From this point, its very easy, just follow the crosswalk markings about 3/4ths of a mile to the terminal. its flat and well marked.

Route Option 2:

After getting off the bolt bus, go to one of the entrances to the downtown seattle transit tunnels in the plaza. You want to go to either Bay A or Bay B. If you have $2.50 in cash for each traveller, feel free to hop on ANY BUS on the northbound side of the platform (Bay A or Bay B), keep your transfer (request one if the driver doesnt give you one, note that on the 550 bus, transfers are not given). If the driver gives you a hassle, tell them you are looking for 1 zone service. If you would prefer, you can purchase a link light rail ticket on the plaza level. Buses come more frequent than light rail and they all go to the same places downtown.

Ride the train/bus to Westlake Station and exit. When you exit, take a right and walk to the end of the platform and go up those stairs/escalator/elevator. Continue walking in the same direction on the mezzanine level and exit on that side of the station to surface level. As you get to the station exit (assuming you have followed the directions) you will take a left out of the station entrance onto Pine St. Walk a short distance to 3rd Ave (a McDonalds will be on the SE corner which is the corner you will be on). Sometimes thers a bit of a shady element hanging around that mcdonalds, but people will leave you alone as long as you mind your own business. They are not dangerous, its just a corner where a lot of people tend to hang out. At the corner of Pine and 3rd (standing next to a mcdonalds, dont cross any streets and take a left a short distance to a bus stop. It should say "Rapid Ride" somewhere on the stop. Rapid Ride buses have a lot of room in the front for luggage, but can be crowded in this part of the city. Rapid Ride buses are Red, Yellow, White, and Black and routes are letters rather than numbers.

Make sure you get on RAPID RIDE D line. If you have a transfer slip hang on to it but show the driver just to be safe. If not, you'll need to pay 2.75 for the bus ride. Ride the bus to "GALER St" and get off and cross the main street "Elliot Way". Look for a tower with pedestrian ramps on the northwest side of Elliot Way and Galer Overcrossing. Go up the ramp and follow it on a bridge over railroad tracks to a "T" intersection. Follow the only crosswalk to the north (your ship should be in view by now). After crossing the street, the sidewalk quickly merges into a bike path. Follow it a short distance (stay right!) to a guardshack and checkpoint. This is a commercial entrance so there is no pedestrian accomodations in this area, just stay to the left (out of traffic as much as possible) and show the guards your ID's if requested. Once past the guardshack youll notice a nicely marked. Follow it towards your ship!

As always, this website gives a bit better visual:

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/alaskacruisesinfo