***PHOTO Vancouver walking tour & Renaissance Harbourside, pre-cruise (August 2010)

daliflor

This thread is intended to remain open to your own contributions, so please feel free to add your comments, pictures, experiences and suggestions for future travelers.

I'll start by sharing my own pre-cruise experience in this magnificent Canadian city (cruised Northbound Alaska on Radiance of the Seas; left Vancouver on Friday afternoon, August 27th 2010).

lookout-cover2.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. at night - views to the Canada Place and the Harbour side (Rennaissance located to the left of the image)

Arrived in Vancouver, B.C. late Thursday evening, after 11pm, coming from the Amtrak train station (took the scenic "Cascades" train from Seattle as recommended on this board) on a quick, reasonable taxi ride ($10.0 CAD, tip included; the rail would have been a much cheaper option but it was late at night, to the cab was easier).

As indicated at the time on this board, got an excellent fare for the room on Priceline ($90.00 US plus tax, so a little over $111.00 all together).

Checking in late at night had the advantage of being a fast process (no lines, great service) but at the same time, being past 11pm, they run out of Habor view rooms... so had to settle for a City view hotel room; no big deal as I needed the place only for few hours before embarkation next day.

TIP: If you are using Priceline, note that the hotel confirmation email only says 1 hotel room confirmed; doesn't specify harbor or city view; nor the number of people allowed in one room.

I met a family later that night that was upset as they were caught by surprise at check in: the four of them (parents with 2 kids) could not use one room reserved but rather had to pay for an additional room - they were told at the Reception desk that they have this rule of only up to 2 individuals per room. The good thing was that the Receptionist allowed them to keep the price of the 2nd room at the same fare as the 1st one that was confirmed by Priceline. Merely a note to keep in mind when traveling as a couple with kis or part of a large group to this particular hotel...

P1110795.jpg

Renaissance Harbourside in Vancouver, B.C. (August 26, 2010)

P1110793.jpg

P1110794.jpg

P1110777.jpg

The hotel is exactly as advertised minus maybe the 4 stars - not quite there if I have to compare, for example, to our stay at an European four star hotel in Barcelona this past summer, also pre-cruise (cruised Adventure of the Seas at the time)... no bath robes or slippers, no complimentary champagne at the bar or other little nice touches.

However, overall, a nice stay and a great price!

P1110778.jpg

P1110776.jpg

P1110779.jpg

P1110771.jpg

Renaissance Harbourside in Vancouver, B.C. -

balcony view across the street, at Marriott Pinnacle Downtown (August 26, 2010)

P1110773.jpg

The hotel room was spotless and cozy, allowing for an excellent shower (wonderful water pressure) and a much needed sleep before an Alaskan adventure on RCI.

P1110780.jpg

P1110784.jpg

P1110783.jpg

P1110781.jpg

P1110785.jpg

The hotel rooms are wired-for-business (a fee of $15.95 CAD is charged daily and covers High-speed Internet access, unlimited local and long distance phone calls within Canada).

However, there are two PCs in the Lobby where the Internet access is complimentary with the following friendly reminder:

P1110802.jpg

The LCD TV, sleek furniture and spa bath amenities were nice features.

P1110768.jpg

P1110770.jpg

The hallways were nicely kept and the elevators were spacious and also spotless:

P1110789.jpg

P1110790.jpg

I decided for this particular hotel not only because the great deal on the price obtained online, but mostly for its convenient location: it is located on the waterfront in downtown Vancouver, only minutes away from the Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal, as well as few of the touristic attractions such as historic Gastown and the famous Stanley Park.

At night, the hotel was quite, so you could have used the complimentary internet in the Lobby for as much as you wanted. The bar was empty; same for the new restaurant (p2b bistro & bar featuring a casual-upscale ambiance)...

P1110791.jpg

P1110800.jpg

P1110796.jpg

P1110797.jpg

P1110798.jpg

After a good night sleep, on Friday morning (Embarkation day!), a complimentary local newspaper was waiting in the front of the hotel room. Easy read with the morning coffee at the hotel's restaurant (charge applies as breakfast is not complimentary).

P1110810.jpg

P1110769.jpg

Renaissance Harbourside in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27, 2010)

P1110774.jpg

You can also enjoy a cup of coffee or tea in your own hotel room while checking out the vista of the city from your balcony (Marriott Pinnacle is located across the street):

P1110775.jpg

P1110806.jpg

Friday morning seemed to be a brand new, sunny day! So I took a little time to enjoy the views of the city from the balcony before heading out for breakfast (with Marriott Pinnacle and the skyscrapers of the city with by my window):

P1110805.jpg

P1110803.jpg

P1110804.jpg

P1110808.jpg

P1110812.jpg

After a healthy breakfast, wondered a little inside the hotel before checking out and dropping off the luggage with the bell boy in order to head out to discover the beautiful Vancouver, B.C.!

P1110811.jpg

P1110813.jpg

P1110815.jpg

P1110814.jpg

P1110817.jpg

Now this was my first time in Vancouver and I will say up front that I did not have any ilusion that few morning hours will make justice to this incredible city (the time pressure was there from the start as Friday was Embarkation day; plus some pictures can't cover the full value to such a fabulous metropolis).

So the options are unlimited: you can use the trolley or the touristic bus, you can book an organized walking tour, rent a car or simply stroll around on your own. The Downtown is walker friendly and the public transportation is also convenient.

One thing to keep in mind: in Vancouver, like in Seattle, the weather can be unpredictible! Woke up on a sunny morning that after breakfast got cloudy, windy and later it was raining...

P1110818.jpg

P1110821.jpg

Not sure if the Fairy from Marriott Pinnacle's shopping window listed to my prayers (across the street from our hotel), but the sail away was glorious that evening: sunny and simply picture perfect (details and visual ads later)!

P1110820.jpg

P1110822.jpg

Bit of a construction around the hotel, towards the Waterfront area (first stop of this walking tour):

P1110825.jpg

P1110823.jpg

Conveniently located close to Vancouver's top attractions and the Cruise Ship Terminal, the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel is the perfect location to start a walking tour on your own!

Despite deciding to walk around, seen the Sightseeing tourist bus all over Downtown Vancouver, tempting us as the transportation link to Vancouver's major attractions (including the world-famous Stanley Park, Granville Island, Downtown, Chinatown, Gastown, Vanier Park, museums, shopping areas and more):

P1110826.jpg

Leaving the construction area behind to get to the first stop as the clouds are gathering by the Waterfron area with its amazing skyscrapers: the Vancouver 2010 Cauldrum Olympic Flame.

P1110847.jpg

P1110848.jpg

P1110842.jpg

2010 Cauldrum Olympic Flame in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27, 2010)

P1110828.jpg

Vancouver is an incredibly vibrant, multicultural city experiencing tremendous growth after the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Next to the 2010 Cauldrum Olympic Flame, by the Waterfront stands the "Digital Orca" - a sculpture that breaks down a 3D Orca whale into cubic pixels - making a familiar symbol of the West Coast become something unexpected and new. This use of natural imagery modified by technology bridges the past to the future.

The "Digital Orca" is a piece of art - a 25-foot sculpture designed by artist Douglas Coupland:

P1110844.jpg

Didn't I just mention the touristic bus being seen ALL OVER the place, especially Downtown Vancouver? Here it is again, few minutes later:

P1110849.jpg

The "competitor," turn-of-the-century style Vancouver trolley, is just few yards away:

P1110851.jpg

In case you forgot where we are at this point, here is a friendly map of the Downtown area:

P1110852.jpg

If you don't see the touristic bus, you certainly can come across the advertising for one! Still, I resist temptation and continue my walk by the Waterfront...

P1110853.jpg

Remaining in the Waterfront area... more skyscrapers with the Vancouver Lookout Tower in the background:

P1110859.jpg

P1110855.jpg

Should I say... yet another touristic bus? Yes, it has a stop right by Canada place, Downtown Vancouver.

P1110860.jpg

P1110854.jpg

Considered one of the world's most livable and beautifully-situated cities, Vancouver offers a wealth of interesting experiences for the curious visitor like myself.

Nesteled into the Pacific shouthwestern corner of Canada, lies the glistening metropolis of Vancouver.

P1110861.jpg

The first stop for anyone coming to Vancouver should be to walk along the spectacular promenade of Canada Place at Waterfront Station.

P1110857.jpg

Canada Place was constructed as the Canadian pavilion for the World Expo 1986 and now it is housing the city's Convention Center.

P1110866.jpg

Mounted on the front of Canada Place, Canada's Storyboard is a 14 x 25 foot LED high definition video screen featuring iconic Canadian content, celebrating the Canadian spirit.

P1110858.jpg

Anchoring the downtown Vancouver waterfront is Canada Place. The brilliant white sails welcome you to experience a taste of Canada on the West Coast.

P1110908.jpg

I was reading somewhere that Canada Place Corporation is undertaking a roof rehabilitation project in 2010/2011 that includes the replacement of the iconic sail fabric

A panoramic image of the visited area:

Lookout-North-East.jpg

Walking along the spectacular promenade of Canada Place at Waterfront Station on a cloudy Friday morning, late August 2010:

P1110868.jpg

P1110829.jpg

Canada Place and the Vancouver Docklands (viewed from the Waterfront on August 27, 2010)

P1110830.jpg

P1110875.jpg

Surrounded by rugges snowcapped mountain peaks, lush forests of every shade of green imaginable, and Pacific waters, Vancouver uniquely blends city and nature in splendid harmony.

P1110831.jpg

P1110832.jpg

P1110833.jpg

P1110834.jpg

An unusual sight you will see out on the water is the floating gas stations out in Coal Harbour for pleasure craft. The boats just pull up to the floating gas station just like you do in a car on land and say fill-er-up!

P1110835.jpg

Floatplanes taking off for the wild natural coves of the Inside Passage and helicopters departing for Vancouver Island augment the energetic scene on Friday morning:

P1110841.jpg

P1110838.jpg

P1110839.jpg

P1110840.jpg

P1110837.jpg

Coal Harbour with Vancouver city's skyline and Stanley Park in the background

It's late August and you can see the wonder of Fall colors by the famous Stanley Park and its Brokton Point (seen here from the Waterfront):

P1110836.jpg

The Canada Place Pier is divided into 13 equal sections to represent the 10 provinces and 3 territories.

P1110907.jpg

P1110879.jpg

Located on the Canada Place Pier, the Canadian Trail is a unique walk across Canada, using surface tiles and coloured glass to depict the vast and diverse country that's Canada:

P1110903.jpg

P1110880.jpg

P1110905.jpg

As you stroll along the Canadian Trail, search out familial roots or marvel at some of Canada's uniquely named cities.

A stroll around Canada Place promenade allowed me to take in the beautiful harbor of Burrard Inlet, with its vista of snow-capped mountains, Stanley Park, and the modern glass towers of Coal Harbour nearby.

And suddenly there it was! RCI cruise ship Radiance of the Seas, docked by the Cruise Ship Terminal at Canada Place on a cloudy Friday morning, on August 27th 2010:

P1110886.jpg

Radiance on the Seas in Vancouver, Canada Place (August 27, 2010)

P1110888.jpg

P1110889.jpg

Supervisor shouting out instructions for last minute construction and other work done aboard the cruise ship Radiance of the Seas:

P1110884.jpg

P1110887.jpg

In the summertime, cruise ships from the world's major lines dock along the pier at Canada Place en route to Alaska. And Radiance of the Seas was no exception!

P1110891.jpg

P1110892.jpg

P1110896.jpg

P1110909.jpg

Canadian Trail - the walk along the spectacular promenade of Canada Place came to an end as I returned to the colorful tiles of some of Canada's uniquely named cities:

P1110906.jpg

Canada Place has the Cruise Ship Terminal by its side.

P1110911.jpg

P1110913.jpg

P1110912.jpg

P1110916.jpg

Note that I came across a nice shot from someone taking the same cruise as us, so I thought I'll share it ( source: pocketkk's photostream ):

4946926530_355e693204_b.jpg

Radiance of the Seas in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27th 2010, Embarkation day)

"The morning before the cruise started. It rained right after this picture was taken. Poured actually but the shot came out good. Three exposure HDR with levels adjustments in Photoshop."

Daliflor, thanks so much for posting your photos from one of my favorite cities. They brought back wonderful memories. I look forward to walking along that magnificent waterfront again soon.

You're quite welcome! It is a fascinating city and will certainly return one day!

Before heading out to town, I took one more look at the Coal Harbour (a relatively shallow-sided coastal fjord in southwestern British Columbia, Canada) and its Stanley Park and Lions Gate Bridge to see more floatplanes taking off for the wild natural coves of the Inside Passage:

P1110869.jpg

P1110871.jpg

P1110873.jpg

P1110874.jpg

Gastown- where the history of Vancouver began! Located in the north-east corner of downtown, is this historical part of Vancouver known as the birthplace of the city; retains its historic independent spirit and distinctive look.

P1110917.jpg

Daliflor, I have to say you are quite the photo-journalist. I have lived in and around Vancouver for all of my 65 years and worked in downtown Vancouver for more than 40 years....your photos photos have really caught the essence of what Vancouver is all about. It is almost enough to have me move home.;) Great work...and thanks for sharing your talent with us.:)

A late morning healthy snack came out unexpectedly in Downtown as they were offering complimentary granola bars in the street; so got some more energy to ascend Harbour Centre to reach the Observation deck of the Vancouver Lookout Tower (my next stop as the rain started outside):

P1110918.jpg

Vancouver Lookout Tower - next stop of this tour; reasonable entrance fee (also purchased a nice photo booklet with panoramic views of the city)

Lookout-cover1.jpg

Lookout-general-data.jpg

P1110919.jpg

Took the 40 sec elevator ride up to the Observation deck of the Tower:

P1110920.jpg

Vancouver - view from the glass elevator of the Lookout Tower (August 27, 2010)

Archived