South Beach?

etexfam

We are going to Miami a day or two early for our July 10 Explorer cruise. DW and I would really like to go see what South Beach is like. Am I right to assume that I can take my kids (9 and 13) down there without much concern. I know I may have to answer a few questions, but I'm ok with that. We all just watched The Birdcage for the umpteenth time, which is what made me think to post this question. Also, is South Beach reasonably accessible from one of the hotels around the pier, Biscayne Bay Marriott, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We like SOBE. It is a short cab ride from your hotel. July will be very warm. The last time we were there we saw the naked cowboy. (not really but almost) Tried to get my wife to stand next to him for a picture but she wouldn't. Your kids will have lots of company on the beach and lots to talk about. There is a pizza place on the corner of Washington and 9th. I think the name is Rustyko's Pizza.. Very good.....and reasonable.

My kids love going to South Beach they enjoy the water the food and they like to do the occasional Peeple watching as well they like to see how many stars they can spot. You and your family will enjoy South Beach there is something for all there. Have great Pre Cruise Stay and Wonderful Cruise!!

• 2 months later...

Yes there is Public beach..just go where Mangos is there is easy access to the beach and beach facilities right acroos street from it. Or ask to be taken to Clevenders Hotel and use the access walk right in front of it also.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach two years ago after our Triumph cruise. Hotels in SB are not that great (in my opinion) unless you spend $250+ a night. The HI was okay but the location more than made up for the hotel and room. There is a boardwalk right behind the pool which is right on the beach. Umbrellas, towels and chairs are included as part of your stay. I have read that hotwire is offering some great deals on SB hotels including the Crowne Plaza. Did a search for next March and it was $157 per night. We paid $165 two years ago and the CP is way better than the HI. The cost of food is high so you need to be prepared. I typically don't complain about costs on vacation but it's expensive. You'll see some topless sunbathers as well if that's a concern with your children. But, staying at SB is a once in a lifetime experience that everyone should do if they can. The beach is beautiful and hanging out on Ocean Drive is pretty cool...all kinds of good people watching!

Archived