Falmouth, Jamaica to Bob Marley birthplace?

Sunkisthappy

Hello members!

My fiance and I will be going on our first cruise (Aug 12, 2012, RCI) for our honeymoon, and this is my first Cruise Critic post.

He has always been a big fan of Bob Marley, but our itinerary says Falmouth. We'd like to know a safe and cost-effective way to take a tour of Bob Marley's birthplace. Has anyone ever gone to his birthplace after docking in Falmouth? Did you take a bus and then a tour of Nile Mile, or did you find an excursion that includes both?

Please excuse me if my post seems naive. I am new and have yet to learn all of the lingo and such ;)

Thank you for your help! I'd really appreciate it, and I enjoy this site a great deal!

-Natalia

Hi Natalia! Welcome to Cruise Critic (CC)!! When it is closer to your sail date you will be able to view excursion through your reservation on the RCI website. There is a Bob Marley Experience you can book through the ship for $92 per person it says duration is 7 hrs. At least on our upcoming Oasis cruise we dock at 10am in Falmouth and depart at 7pm. Last boarding before departure is probably 6:30pm. Here is what the description of the tour says

Bob Marley Experience - FY14

Drive along Jamaica's scenic coast line from Falmouth to Nine Miles. Your comfortable air-conditioned coaster bus will take you on a unique tour to the birth and final resting place of the King of Reggae, Bob Marley. The bus ride is a scenic tour of rural St. Ann. Rock to the rhythm of Bob's greatest hits as your driver negotiates the narrow winding country roads to the mountain village of Nine Miles. On the return trip via Higgins Town and St. Ann's Bay, stop at the local Jerk Centre for an authentic Jamaican lunch treat of Jerk Pork & Chicken, Rice & Peas, Festival and "Belly Wash" Lemonade . This is a Reggae experience you don't want to miss.

Keep in mind if you book on your own, not through RCI the ship will not wait for you if you are late getting back to the ship. If you book through RCI and your tour is late getting back the ship will wait on you.

Enjoy your first cruise!!!

We have been to Nine Mile from Ocho Rios using a private tour. The cruise line did not offer a tour there when we went. Nine Mile is pretty far but from Falmouth, so if you do the trip plan to spend a long time riding. The scenery is nice, though.

If you go try to get in "Captain Crazy's" tour group. He is pretty funny, though I don't know if anyone has a better time than he does. The tour itself it not that long, less than an hour, so you should consider that in making your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Never been from Falmouth but we drove up from Negril on one of our visits. It's a loooong drive no doubt but you get such a great chance to see the interior of Jamaica and Nine Mile is a must-see for any Bob Marley fan. Very spiritual...very moving. We went back in 2002 so I'm sure much has been built up since then but I would highly recommend the visit.

The Bob Marley tour is best from Falmouth, closer to it. We did a private tour, one one of the last departures of the day so we arrived at about 3:40 at Bob's house and no other tourists where there as they left earlier so we had the place to ourselves! We had a really great experience, especially without other people and the guide just for us. I would definitely recommend to do it this way, much more personable...could not imagine doing this kind of spiritual tour with 40 people in the same place!

• 7 months later...

why is this excursion for 18 year and older? my son becomes 18 in august but can not join this excursion.

Hi Natalia! Welcome to Cruise Critic (CC)!! When it is closer to your sail date you will be able to view excursion through your reservation on the RCI website. There is a Bob Marley Experience you can book through the ship for $92 per person it says duration is 7 hrs. At least on our upcoming Oasis cruise we dock at 10am in Falmouth and depart at 7pm. Last boarding before departure is probably 6:30pm. Here is what the description of the tour says

Bob Marley Experience - FY14

Drive along Jamaica's scenic coast line from Falmouth to Nine Miles. Your comfortable air-conditioned coaster bus will take you on a unique tour to the birth and final resting place of the King of Reggae, Bob Marley. The bus ride is a scenic tour of rural St. Ann. Rock to the rhythm of Bob's greatest hits as your driver negotiates the narrow winding country roads to the mountain village of Nine Miles. On the return trip via Higgins Town and St. Ann's Bay, stop at the local Jerk Centre for an authentic Jamaican lunch treat of Jerk Pork & Chicken, Rice & Peas, Festival and "Belly Wash" Lemonade . This is a Reggae experience you don't want to miss.

Keep in mind if you book on your own, not through RCI the ship will not wait for you if you are late getting back to the ship. If you book through RCI and your tour is late getting back the ship will wait on you.

Enjoy your first cruise!!!

• 1 month later...
Still wondering if we dock in Falmouth how long is the bus ride to Bob Marleys? Dont want to be in a bus 2 hrs each way. Thanks

I think it is about 1 1/2 hours each way by taxi not sure if it is longer by bus as it is up hill.

I would think it is 18 or older, because you can buy and smoke marijuana at Nine Mile. It is legal to do so there. It is a great tour if you are a Bob Marley fan. Captain Crazy was the best!!!

Archived