Ecstasy lags the Sensation

Overall, the Ecstasy was satisfactory, but it didn't meet our expectations, which were set by excellent experiences with Carnival's Sensation. Typically, on a cruise, I gain 5 pounds or more. On this 4-night journey to the Bahamas (May 3-7 from Port Canaveral), I picked up only a pound. Dining room selections tended to be just so-so, and a few things had to be sent back because they were served cold or lukewarm. The Captain's Dinner (a couple of forkfuls of lobster tail) was completely unimpressive. However, the Lido Deck buffet was good to excellent in all respects. Even the pizza was above average. Our cabin was fine, except for a hairline crack in the shower stall that allowed flooding of the rest of the bathroom. Beds were firm and very comfortable, and cabin service was excellent. We found the ceiling mounted air-conditioning very inconvenient. One had to stand precariously on a bed to turn it on or off. Dirt on the exterior of the cabin window was a demerit. I wasn't impressed with the theater show or the adult-comedy act. Other entertainment was mostly OK, and the Neon Bar pianist was talented and personable. One area where the cruise shone was the quick boarding process and easy disembarkation. However, the line for boarding the tender to Halfmoon Cay was long, slow-moving and congested. Claustrophobia was starting to set in before we finally made it aboard. We have seen Nassau several times before so most of our port time there was spent at Bahama Joe's, our favorite watering hole (about a half-block from tourist trap Senor Froggies). We enjoyed the laid-back hospitality and wit of Bianca and her bartending crew.Halfmoon Cay was a pleasant beach but it could use some shady areas. Also, half-hidden sharp rocks at the foot of a staircase leading down to the beach were a serious hazard. We saw several people trip.

I am suprised to hear this about Ecstasy I wish she was still in Galveston never been on Senstion but Ecstasy was like PARADISE it is an older ship but we really miss her in Galveston can you send her back LOL

They all have the same menus, and I've read so many reviews where some people on the same sailing have raved about the food, getting great service and nice, hot meals while the next one complained about cold food and lousy service.

Either it's luck of the draw or just totally different expectations and/or perceptions. Of course. Food quality is subjective. I gave up on the pizza after trying it on about four different ships. I thought it was universally inedible. Others love it. :p

I do think each ship has it's own personality. I believe that has to do with the Captain and upper management on a particular vessel.

I've now sailed six times on three different Fantasy-class ships. I'll be on Ecstasy for a B2B in November. I don't expect her to vary from the others except superficially.

Yes, they're older. I personally couldn't care less. I neither want nor need a supper club or giant tv on deck.

Even the ones that haven't had all the upgrades have still had "cosmetic surgery" to modernize them somewhat.

This will hopefully be my sixth stop at HMC. There's quite a lot of shade if you walk a bit further down the beach. I park myself down past Cabana #8 (and will go farther next time to get away from the music at the stupid ship bar). I'm Platinum, so no more long waits for the tender. I get over there early and enjoy the beauty.

Most of what I've read about Ecstasy has been positive.

I am very interested in this post. Have sailed the Sensation multiple times and sailed the Ecstasy the last time expecting pretty much the same great experience. I did enjoy the Ecstasy plenty...clean ship, same activities and so forth BUT, I wholeheartedly agree with the OP. Food in MDR was about 60% in my opinion and the food in Lido areas was much better. Formal night food just OK. Service in MDR great for us except for the standard lack of enforcement on the shorts, caps, etc...won't beat that dead horse.

Had fun on both but without a doubt, the food on Ecstasy in MDR paled in comparison to Sensation, which is my next cruise this fall. Food temps were lukewarm and wow, some entrees really dry. Hot, thin OJ at breakfast. Strange.

Are you referring to dinner in the buffet or lunch?

I don't really "do" lunch at the buffet but get a deli sandwich instead. I find I just overeat otherwise. I mean, I have to save room for my 3 pm hotdog and fries and then have room for 6 pm sushi, you know? :D

I've never had dinner in the buffet on a cruise, yet. And I've always had a set dining time.

Did both of you (Mom and OP) have set dining or was this ATD? Which dining room and which seating did you folks have?

Did you have early or late seating? I am wondering if the food temp is because the food sits out longer waiting for the late seating. We have late seating for our cruise in July.

Did you try the sushi bar?

Archived