Alaskan Laundry questions - Golden Princess

RickEk

I know that the self-service laundry can be closed while the ship is in Alaskan waters. Does anyone with recent experience on Golden Princess (or Star Princess for that matter since it does basically the same itinerary) know what days the laundry might be closed?

The DW and I were on the Golden in September 2011 however we normally did not do laundry until the full sea days. Don't know what the laundry hours were in the Glacier Bay area. It was more than likely closed while we were in that area. They (US Park Service) are very sensitive about that area.

In fact, as explained to me by the Coral's Engineering Officer, in some of the Alaska waters the Coral/Island and I'm sure the others are required to run on their gas turbine engines instead of their main fuel oil engines to reduce pollution of the area.

IIRC ours ( Sea Princess) was closed as we approached Skagway until we were well south of Glacier bay but open before we arrived in Ketchikan.

I was on this trip too...they posted in the Patter and I believe it was 8pm the night before Glacier Bay, the entire day at B and then till 8am the morning of the next day. I assume this was to insure we were a ways away from GB before anyone did laundry again.

Archived