Walking around Progreso

dbug209

Is it safe to just walk around on our own? Last time we were there was in 2008, we walked threw the little market and then down beach road found a little resturant across from the beach and drank it up all day. We are wanting to do the same thing but maybe site seeing a little more.

Thanks for any info, Dani

Super tranquilo which means no worries. Don't be an obnoxious drunk, be a happy drunk and watch your step so you don't break a leg on some chunk of broken sidewalk.

Progreso is rough around the edges but the people are as friendly as can be and you won't feel unsafe.

Zero worries about something bad happening there. I still don't understand why people won't get off the ship here. It's NOT the most visually appealing port, true, but if you know what you are doing there are great deals to be had and a bunch of friendly locals. Research is key. However, very safe. No worries.

When we were there back in 2008, our group found a bar across from the beach. The young guy that owned it told us he was from louisiana (maybe, maybe not) any hooo, we had a great time with some great drinks, i recall getting 2 for 1 all day. Do they still have some places/bars that will do good drink deals like this?

• 1 month later...
When we were there back in 2008, our group found a bar across from the beach. The young guy that owned it told us he was from louisiana (maybe, maybe not) any hooo, we had a great time with some great drinks, i recall getting 2 for 1 all day. Do they still have some places/bars that will do good drink deals like this?

I believe that is Buddy's. We were there last Feb. '11 and it was still open. Sat on the beach, drank a few, shopped, then back to ship! Planning on doing same thing in Oct of this year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so when the ship docks, is there a 4 mile pier that you travel down for free to town or the end the pier. Then once off the pier, do you just catch a bus or shuttle to the beach and buddy's place? Just wondering as there will be myself, DW, and kids from 11 to 14. Is the beach far from the pier. Thanks for the input.

so when the ship docks, is there a 4 mile pier that you travel down for free to town or the end the pier. Then once off the pier, do you just catch a bus or shuttle to the beach and buddy's place? Just wondering as there will be myself, DW, and kids from 11 to 14. Is the beach far from the pier. Thanks for the input.

Where the ship docks there is a small shopping area, and yes, the bus down the pier is free. You can see the beach from the bus while on the pier. It is to the left. When the bus stops, you can walk to the beach, it's only a couple of blocks. DH and I like to get massages on the beach. It's $20 for an hour long, head to toe massage.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you are MUCH more likely to get mugged or similar in New Orleans than you are in Progreso.

:( I'm from New Orleans.......my feelings are hurt. Lol

I am looking forward to my first time in Progreso, I believe we're going to check out some ruins. It'll be a first for us, I usually run straight for the beach. I'll save the beach for Cozumel.

Thanks for all the good info you give Mr. Lawson. If you ever want to know about New Orleans......I'm your girl! ;)

Kirsten

We've had some good times at Buddys...both on the beach, and in the bar during a rain storm!! The beach at Progreso is a great place to kick back....have a relaxing massage...and enjoy very good fish tacos with a cold one. Wish I was there now, but I will be in November!!!:)

Where did you get the fish tacos?

Where did you get the fish tacos?

We got fish tacos at Buddys....they were good. Might be other places there that sell them as well. When I first heard about fish tacos, I thought it sounded disgusting...then I tried them. If they are fixed right, they are good. Ive eaten several here in the good ole USA that are good....and some that are not. Buddys had good ones when I was there...and we'll probably try them again in November!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Buddys is easy to find...once you unload from the bus that takes you from the ship, its only a block or two to the water...a very easy walk. You will reach the beach area to the right of the long pier, and you keep going right...along the beach...you'll come to Buddys very quickly. The actual bar is across the street from the beach, but they have servers who will bring the food and drinks to you at their tables & chairs on the beach...they also have those lounger thingys you can use to lay out nearer the water in the sun. Buddys is a fun place..I've been there when they've had music and a DJ...with dancin contest and such. Try the fish tacos!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in progresso on our last cruise. The port isnt as exotic and beautiful as some others are, but it has its own appeal. It was nice to just wander around the stalls and shop, we had some kick butt ceviche at Buddy's, and overall, enjoyed our day.

• 1 month later...

Archived