Cabin Upgrade phone calls

Got a phone call from Thomson today offering choice of 2 cabin upgrades:

Deck 8/9 plus and Junior Suite

I asked him to put it in an e-mail as I thought....lucky day...a free upgrade. :D

But no, e-mail said:

Deck 8/9 plus. £98. I guess per cabin considering the JS price.

Junior Suite. £672

So I did a mock booking:

Deck 8/9 plus. £119 per adult

JS. £308 per adult

Checked the current price of our Deck 3/4 O plus and it is £98 each less than when we booked! I know I should not have done it and would not have if I had not had the phone call. It's all down to the 'online discount'.

I'm not complaining about the lower price...one can expect it 5 weeks before a cruise, if they have cabins to fill, but they could have offered me a better upgrade price, couldn't they? :confused

Anyway, I pre-booked the cabin position that I preferred and I trust that is what I will get when I board.

Got a phone call from Thomson today offering choice of 2 cabin upgrades:

Deck 8/9 plus and Junior Suite

I asked him to put it in an e-mail as I thought....lucky day...a free upgrade. :D

But no, e-mail said:

Deck 8/9 plus. £98. I guess per cabin considering the JS price.

Junior Suite. £672

So I did a mock booking:

Deck 8/9 plus. £119 per adult

JS. £308 per adult

Checked the current price of our Deck 3/4 O plus and it is £98 each less than when we booked! I know I should not have done it and would not have if I had not had the phone call. It's all down to the 'online discount'.

I'm not complaining about the lower price...one can expect it 5 weeks before a cruise, if they have cabins to fill, but they could have offered me a better upgrade price, couldn't they? :confused

Anyway, I pre-booked the cabin position that I preferred and I trust that is what I will get when I board.

So the robbing B****** is offering you an upgrade at a higher price than the current online offering :eek:

it is just all a con trick :rolleyes:

Just read your post and i entirely agree. Thomsons just dont get it! I rang to pay my balance and was offered an upgrade on the flight to premier (A s called special price). But when he told me the price it totalled the same as the internet price so no saving at all. The daft thing is that i had thought that if there was a small saving i would probably take it. I told the agent this and he said well thats the price! Sometimes, Thomsons, when you want to get bit more from your custmers you need to offer a small benefit, the basics of negotiation!

So the robbing B****** is offering you an upgrade at a higher price than the current online offering :eek:

it is just all a con trick :rolleyes:

All depends o what trade cabin the OP has booked, as it is so close to leaving, the base cabin price may be of a higher grade than the OP has booked, therefore the upgrade price will look cheaper, as the base price will already incorporate the cabin upgrade price offered.

On this cruise, 1st Match, lowest grade cabin available is inside Plus, which I believe is normally £35 per person, so any upgrade price on this cruise will look cheaper as it already incorporates the £35 in the base price.

All depends o what trade cabin the OP has booked, as it is so close to leaving, the base cabin price may be of a higher grade than the OP has booked, therefore the upgrade price will look cheaper, as the base price will already incorporate the cabin upgrade price offered.

On this cruise, 1st Match, lowest grade cabin available is inside Plus, which I believe is normally £35 per person, so any upgrade price on this cruise will look cheaper as it already incorporates the £35 in the base price.

I pre-booked a Deck 4 outside plus mid ships and paid an extra £154 plus £39 for the privilege because that is where we preferred our cabin. We were happy to do so and are still happy with that.

What I was pointing out was that I was being offered an upgrade to Deck 8/9 outside plus but at an extra cost of £98 or a JS at £672.

I have only cruised once but I perhaps mistakingly thought that if you were offered an upgrade (on other ships) that it was complimentary in order to free up cheaper cabins that they could sell more easily. Like on BA when 3 of us were upgraded from Sydney to Heathrow from Economy to Business class for free. :D

I politely e-mailed and declined the offer pointing out that many Deck 8/9 have restricted views due to lifeboats (at this late stage I thought the unrestricted cabins would have been booked) and that the extra £672 for the JS was too expensive for us.

I did ask a question in the e-mail but have not received a reply!

I have been on Majesty before so know the layout but there are many who have not who may have thought that being upgraded from Deck 4 to 8/9 is worth paying the extra because it is higher up, but if you wanted deck 8/9 wouldn't you do that when you booked? Because when the extra upgrade is added there is little difference in the price! Maybe if it was at no extra cost, some people may decide to do so.

As an afterthought, we have been upgraded in hotels before but not been asked to pay more even though we have made the request ourselves at Reception on arrival.

Has anyone on here ever been offered a free upgrade on cruises?

The thing with Thomson, they don't really do free, everything is at a cost.

They probably only need a few people to pay the upgrade fee to move into the more expensive cabins, so they can then lower the base price to look more appealing, as they will have cheaper cabins available again.

That's how I see it anyway.

Has anyone on here ever been offered a free upgrade on cruises?

We recently did a taster 3 day cruise with P & O and I was upgraded 3 times at no cost, I initially booked an inside, I was then upgraded to an outside, I was the upgraded to a balcony and again to a premium position balcony :-)

I have had 2 free upgrades on the same cruise with P&O. Inside forward to inside midships, then a week later to an excellent outside which would have cost hundreds more.

thomson rarely do free upgrades, it is not in their 'that airline' nature to do so.

However

i met a couple on spirit who had a free upgrade from a suite to the presidential suite. i guess they could not sell the presidential suite!

I have had 2 free upgrades on the same cruise with P&O. Inside forward to inside midships, then a week later to an excellent outside which would have cost hundreds more.

thomson rarely do free upgrades, it is not in their 'that airline' nature to do so.

However

i met a couple on spirit who had a free upgrade from a suite to the presidential suite. i guess they could not sell the presidential suite!

I doubt it was a free upgrade, I expect the price when they booked already had incorporated that grade of cabin, that's how their pricing structure works.

I doubt it was a free upgrade, I expect the price when they booked already had incorporated that grade of cabin, that's how their pricing structure works.

They said to me the upgrade was free and offered to them after they boarded.

They don't price the presidential suite. Your TA has to phone and enquire

I had the upgrade phone call yesterday, despite the fact I had already booked the deck and cabin I wanted. Cost of the upgrade? £352. I politely declined and the phone call was over in less than 10 seconds. The way it went so quickly, with the chap not even bothering to try and talk me into it leaves me to suspect that very few people take them up on their offer.

I'm starting to feel sorry for these cold callers. They are just doing what they are been told what to do and probably dread doing it. I bet they would have a much happier job if they could offer free or good value upgrades. :rolleyes:

Archived