Would you do Bermuda in late august?

Olive

Please help me decide whether to try to persuade my travel partner to switch from Tahiti to Bermuda (We live in New York, and I really like the idea of not having to spend a day on a plane). Is it worth it to go in late August?

:D We just got back from our Grand Princess transatlantic crossing cruise that took us to Bermuda's West End in April and are looking forward to the two Bermuda ports on the Navigator the last of August! (Sails from NYC on August 17?):eek:

We have been to Tahiti and loved it, never been to Bermuda but it is on the "to do" list.

However, hurricane season is at it's highest in August and September in that area and that would make me think twice about booking a cruise during that time.

Yeah, the hurricane season is exactly my concern. If the cabin I want is available, maybe I'll just do it anyway. We'll see what the travel agent has to say. Of course, I do want to get on the PG before it's gone...

:eek: The 2005 Hurricane report says:

While it is too early to be sure of the general steering patterns that will be in place for the 2005 season, early indications are that a warmer than normal Atlantic combined with a stronger Azores-Bermuda High may combine to produce another deadly hurricane season for the islands of the Caribbean and along the U.S. coast.

Sounds like the outlook is good for Bermuda?:D

Having been to both I can say its a trade off. With Bermuda you get convenience. With French Polynesia you have to cross the Interntional Date Line. (I actually thought Moorea more beautiful than Tahiti).

Have not sailed on Paul G but understand those cabins are small, but the tradeoff is that one can participate in water sports AFT of the ship.

In August Bermuda can be very hot and humid - also rainy. We went last August and if was actually nice weather, not that hot.

I went to the South Pacific as a young person. Now that I am almost 50, have lost my enthusiam for far travel (although a World Cruise would be nice).

I really love Bermuda and go there often, but DD is right - Tahiti is magical. It all depends on how you feel about surrendering all that time to travel.

Cruiser02,

My wife and I are on the Bermuda cruise you are taking, although we board in Norfolk.

As for weather in Bermuda, it is likely to be quite warm and pretty humid. I was there before in early June and it was warm. OF course, I am from the South so it was nothing unexpected.

As for your first Radisson experience, I think you will love it. This is only our second, but we are hooked.

Anthony

Nice to meet you ....fellow passenger. We are not warm weather people althou we are enjoying a beautiful May day in the mid-70's

I understand that Radisson is really nice. Have only toured one of their ships when docked in Seattle. We were impressed. This is our 14th cruise. Our last a small ship in the Great Barrier Reef.

Will be interesting to compare. Tell me how this free wine works? and the stocked bar?

We are going with a group ...will have 2 nights at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC pre-cruise.

Cruiser02,

Wine with dinner is for the most part excellent. On our last cruise, there was one night we purchased off of the other list because we didn't care for what was offered and we wanted to try one on the reserve list. Wine flows freely as your glass is never empty, which is on occasion dangerous because you really lose track of how much you consume.

As for the in-suite bar, you will have when you arrive (or request when you arrive) 2 bottles of standard or 1 premium (we received 2 bottles of Grey Goose Vodka) liquor. Also in the refrigerator will be soft drinks (replace as often as needed) and 4-6 beers (not replaced).

All in all a very nice setup and experience. We cannot wait until August.

Anthony

Sounds perfect. We do enjoy good wine !! Grey Goose - my current favorite. My TA has been telling me for years that I need to give RSSC a try. Cabins look very nice too. Any other suggestions ? Understand there are no formal nights on the Bermuda sailings.

Thanks

Cruiser02,

You are correct in regards to the lack of formal nights. I believe there are 2 informal nights (I may be mistaken), but this will be in the documents.

All in all, I think people dress a bit more nicely anyway on Radisson. Not universal, but generally true. I certainly will leave my tux at home (although I like wearing it) and although I dislike ties, I may bring one.

Not a whole lot more to add as we have not sailed on the Navigator yet. I am looking forward to getting back to the Radisson pampering!!

Look forward to seeing you onboard.

Anthony

Re: Hurricane report...the only thing you have to think about is that the cruise does not start and stop in Bermuda. It goes in a circle from Norfolk to New York to Bermuda and back to Norfolk. So if there is a storm along the Atlantic coast at the time you are crossing or traveling north, it could be a problem for a couple of days. I remember last year or the year before when Isabella hit in mid September, the Navigator might have been going from Norfolk to New York the same day. At least I remember going to look at the ocean one day when she was passing Maryland, and thinking I was glad not to be on her.

My husband will be packing a tie ...thou he may not know it. The words "Grey Goose" did bring a twinkle to his eyes !! Sounds like it will be a good time.

I just got it ...you board in Norfolk the sail to NYC for the rest of us. Some of us are slow. Do you live in the Norfolk area? I'm have an old friend I lost ...think he has a dental practice in Newport News.

It is 90 degrees in the Seattle area today !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bermuda is one of my personal favorites though I have never been to Tahiti. I do know the sailing in Tahiti will be much smoother than Bermuda even without an actual hurricane. Atlantic Seas are rougher anytime. That may be a consideration.

Archived