Ulu Knives

CruiseIsGood

I think that is absurd -- we won't be flying so no problem there but for them to expect us to pay to have these shipped out is, as I said, absurd. My guess is over half of the passengers are going to buy one!

I have taken them on in the past -- 3 years ago -- so I am hoping this is just a carnival thing.

I heard security on the ship tell one lady to either go back to town in Skagway and return it to the store or they will have to throw it away... So be careful.

I thought they should hold it as they do the liquor.

On Carnival Spirit they had scanners like they do at airports..

People where very upset.. As far as I heard it happened at every port.

You think they would have said something or put it in the Capers but they didnt..

You would think that the vendors would know about this and warn the customers.

I put a post on the Celebrity website to see if someone up there may have some recent info.

I think it depends on the Cruise Line, some accept it others dont.. I think the responsibility falls onthe Cruise Lines not the vendor.

I'm glad they're taking security seriously, but if you think about it this doesn't make a lot (any) sense.

In the dining room, if you order a steak, are they gonna give you a steak knife to cut it with? And if they do, what sense does it make to ban Ulu knives?

-Monte

I have talked with the Ulu Factory, and they informed me that a lot of the knives out there are made in China, so watch what you buy.

I called RCCL and she had to ask but then said, they would be taken and held. As long as security agreed. Seemed like she would suggest shipping them home would be better..

Funny you can take 12" knitting needles aboard butr not ULU knives.

If all they do is hold them - fine and like in the caribbean deliver them to your cabin the night before so you can pack them BEFORE you put your luggage out.

In our case we are going to be staying in Vancouver for 2 days so we can always repack

I just returned yesterday from the Coral Princess. Security always asked if you had bought any knives while in port. I don't know what they did with them but imagine they were held until the last night. We went to the Ulu Factory in Anchorage and bought knives and had them shipped. We bought 3 large knives with cutting boards and 2 sets of bear claws and the shipping to Virginia was $16. That was cheaper than ordering them online where shipping is "free". These knives and bear claws are Alaska made. As another poster noted, many of them are made in China and are of poor quality.

Monte,

Yeah, plastic knives in the dining room is next.

(Kidding!)

It is silly.

Sort of like the airlines (actually TSA) banning nail clippers w/files. Who ever diverted a plane with the threat of giving someone a manicure?

-Monte

Archived