Coffee Charge on MSC

gerry1.10

Could MSC cruisers confirm that coffee and I mean regular coffee is a chargeable item when dining in the MDR? I double checked with my cousin who was on an MSC cruise in December and confirmed to me that coffee was indeed charged and you were allowed one bottle water for the meal, after which you have to pay for additonal water! And people were going to the Windjammer upstairs to get "free" coffee and bring it back down to the MDR to have with their desert.

I am a regular cruiser and have never heard of such a thing. If true, I guess I'll never cruise on an MSC ship ever. Please tell me it is not true?

thanks

You can't get coffee in the MDR, and must visit a bar to get it. If you are an American passenger you will get 1 water coupon pr. day to use in the MDR, Europeans have to pay for all water. The reason for this policy, is that MSC is a European cruise line, and in Europe you don't expect free water on the tabel at restaurants unless you have bought wine. As the majority of passengers are from Europe, "other" passengers need to adapt to that culture, as well as us Europeans need to adapt to the American culture when onboard RCL and NCL, roughly said.

It is all about culture, and i was a bit confused (i am from Denmark) when water was served along with my coke on Royal Caribbean. We only drink water along with wine in Europe (generally said)

On Us sailings you will be able to get normal coffee free of charge in the MDR(they adjust for the US market).

In Europe, it's the Italian way, coffee is not drunk with dinner but rather after dinner at a bar. An espresso is just under €2.

If you can't adjust to this and just take it into account as part of the overall cost, then you are probably better sticking to American lines.

On Us sailings you will be able to get normal coffee free of charge in the MDR(they adjust for the US market).

In Europe, it's the Italian way, coffee is not drunk with dinner but rather after dinner at a bar. An espresso is just under €2.

If you can't adjust to this and just take it into account as part of the overall cost, then you are probably better sticking to American lines.

Thanks to you all. Yes I will gladly stick an American line.

You can't get coffee in the MDR, and must visit a bar to get it. If you are an American passenger you will get 1 water coupon pr. day to use in the MDR, Europeans have to pay for all water. The reason for this policy, is that MSC is a European cruise line, and in Europe you don't expect free water on the tabel at restaurants unless you have bought wine. As the majority of passengers are from Europe, "other" passengers need to adapt to that culture, as well as us Europeans need to adapt to the American culture when onboard RCL and NCL, roughly said.

It is all about culture, and i was a bit confused (i am from Denmark) when water was served along with my coke on Royal Caribbean. We only drink water along with wine in Europe (generally said)

Thanks. I'd rather be confused and said no to the water that is free anyway. I,for one, do not take cold water and always decline politely when the waiter comes with ice water and ask for hot water instead. no problem ever getting my request and the hot water still free. I dont think it is a matter of culture. It is a matter of personal taste.

As to the tea/coffee, ships like MSC could have made tea/coffee available for diners who wish to have it with their deserts and all the Europeans passengers can decline and go to have their expresso in a bar. However I do understand MSC does make tea/coffee available in the MDR but is chargeable!

Yes I do adapt when I travel to Europe and Asia and other parts of the world. It is that on a cruise I have never been charged for regular coffee or tea. By the way, I do find many Europeans enjoy their deserts with a coffee or tea.

Thanks for an insightful observation.

You can have all the water and coffee you want with dinner on U.S. departures. Besides, with what you will save by cruising on MSC instead of RCI you can buy enough coffee for your whole cruise and throw in a drinks package.

I'm not a huge fan of the free coffee on MSC. They serve Italian gourmet coffee at a very reasonable price and have nice coffee bars just ourside the restaurants. Caffe Latte was 2 EUR, Espresso 1.30 EUR.

I'm not a huge fan of the free coffee on MSC. They serve Italian gourmet coffee at a very reasonable price and have nice coffee bars just ourside the restaurants. Caffe Latte was 2 EUR, Espresso 1.30 EUR.

I agree Alex. On the times it has been available, I don't take it as it's not great. I much prefer the "real" Italian stuff which is pretty cheap.

Just returned and we are big American coffee drinkers, and honestly, I didn't find it one bit of a problem not having coffee with dessert.

American coffee is available in the buffet 24/hr a day at no charge. If we wanted one, we went and grabbed one and took it to where ever we chose.

Espresso's were 1.30 euros available at every bar.

Water was included with our tickets at one per cabin per day. Which we used for dinner. It's cold, but not kept on ice and not given with ice. We went for a la carte lunch one day and yes, bought a water. 2.50 euros for a 1L bottle.

Water is also available out of your taps in your room which is drinkable and the buffet, also 24hr/day, which also has ice. If you choose, there is the option of having room service bring you a bucket of ice at any time too.

Archived