Orlando Excursion - Renting a car?

mickeymoocow

Hello,

Husband and I are going on a cruise and one of our port of calls is Port Canaveral. We were looking to do an excursion to Epcot on our own as ticket prices and arranging a rental car is $50 below the cruise excursion. Has anyone done this? I'm nervous about time and the hour drive between WDW and the Port. Any suggestions or advice? We'd greatly appreciate it.

Hello,

Husband and I are going on a cruise and one of our port of calls is Port Canaveral. We were looking to do an excursion to Epcot on our own as ticket prices and arranging a rental car is $50 below the cruise excursion. Has anyone done this? I'm nervous about time and the hour drive between WDW and the Port. Any suggestions or advice? We'd greatly appreciate it.

You should be nervous because time is definitely not on your side. Figure 75+ minutes actual driving time to the front gate and assuming you make no wrong turns or encounter no traffic jams. Ditto going back, only the "penalty" for being late is more severe. If you are late for the ship's departure, they will not wait for you. Epcot is an all day attraction (10-12 hours) so don't expect to see everything because you won't. If you understand those limitations....

not to 'pile on' but .....

there is ONE route between Orlando and the port - SR-528 aka the Beachline expressway (the alternates double the travel time, if you don't get lost). For about 30 miles there are no exits and 2 lanes each way. It is not unusual for an accident to shut down 528 for a hour or more, one direction or both. This just happened a few days ago .... I'd say it happens about once a month {I live near the port}.

I recommend the ship excursion in this situation . . . for $50 I'd be cutting the worry factor by 90% and that's worth the money IMO.

9 out of 10 times - no problem on your plan - but I've NEVER had a winning lottery ticket . . . not even $2

Archived