RECENT cruisers - alcohol question...

I seem to have seen different information posted on this recently.

If you have cruised since January, were you able to purchase alcohol on board and pay extra to take it to your cabin right away?

Is it still around $9.00? Also, two years ago they had some specials certain days such that you could get two bottles and just pay the fee once.

Any info appreciated.

In ya'lls experience, does the $9.50 surcharge of taking it to the room, combined with the discounted duty free price about equal what you could buy it for on shore?

We are really trying to weigh whether it is worth it to smuggle bottles of rum and vodka from hometown liquor stores or just buy them on the ship.

Any advice?

You can only buy Liter sizes in the duty free shop right? I don't want to smuggle, but I doubt I could go through a whole liter of vodka on our cruise and then it takes up room for souvenirs on the way home. I would think it would be easier to bring a pint and then toss it when done? Do they sell fifths on board or only the liter sizes?

Thanks for anyone who can answer.

Also, to the OP, I have read on other threads that on the first night they sometimes will only charge you the one fee even if you buy a couple of bottles, but I think it varies from sailing to sailing. I have also heard that if the bars are making lots of money they won't charge the fee later in the week, but again this is other people's posts.... I have no actual experience of my own to verify just yet....

In ya'lls experience, does the $9.50 surcharge of taking it to the room, combined with the discounted duty free price about equal what you could buy it for on shore?

We are really trying to weigh whether it is worth it to smuggle bottles of rum and vodka from hometown liquor stores or just buy them on the ship.

Any advice?

When you say "on shore" do you mean your hometown, or do you mean in port?

The cheapest way to go is buy duty-free liquor in port and smuggle it onboard.

If you don't want to do that: buying liquor onboard and paying the surcharge is more or less comparable to buying it in your hometown. Therefore, it's not worth the effort of smuggling it from your home.

Also, as far as I know, they do NOT sell non-alcoholic mixers onboard, but I could be wrong.

when i was just on the mariner it was $9.50 per bottle.. but ih ave to say i had brought liquor with me from home ( bad i know ) since i drink capatain morgan and it is avaialble is a plastic travel bottle ( very convenient ) and i ended up bringing most of it home since i was either too lazy to go back to the room or those foo foo drinks looked so good..we mostly drank the stuff in the room while getting ready for dinner...i dont htink i would bother bringing any next time.....

Archived