Waiting for tender tickets or walking off with everyone else?

DebbieB65

Has anyone missed a booking with an outside excursion company by waiting to get off the ship in a tender port? I've read that sometimes it has taken hours to get off the ship when using the ticket method. Is it better, or possible, to just go down and blend in and get off with all the initial groups getting off? I'm worried about missing our excursions in Grand Cayman and Belize both booked outside of Carnival.

Has anyone missed a booking with an outside excursion company by waiting to get off the ship in a tender port? I've read that sometimes it has taken hours to get off the ship when using the ticket method. Is it better, or possible, to just go down and blend in and get off with all the initial groups getting off? I'm worried about missing our excursions in Grand Cayman and Belize both booked outside of Carnival.

I dont blame you for being concerned.... every post I read about the tenders from these ports are a nightmare getting off the ship. Some say its harder to get back on, but at any rate, I booked through Carnival to have piece of mind.

We were very frustrated with with Carnival. We waited for 2 hours before we decided to walk off the ship. No one checked our tender number, we were on tender one. In fact, our tender to belize was half full.

I have read SO many complaints about this! What port was thiis? What happened that day?

First time, not knowing any better, we just got in line and when we got to the tender area, told the carnival rep there that we had an early excursion with Capt Marvin in Grand Cayman and we needed to get off now! She let us through after much disscusion.

In Belize, we also had an early tour and just blended in with everyone- they werent checking tender stickers or numbers.

Absolutly, I mean you paid for your cruise and your vaction is more important then everyone elses right? I mean why wait your turn when it is only displaying good manners and civility. I say go for it!!

First of all..if you want to do a private excursion that is fine. There are some very good ones. The ship's tours do tend to be a bit more expensive, though not a whole lot more. The advantage of booking through the ship..any delay in the excursion returning to the pier on time, the ship will wait for you. They are in touch with the ship sponsored tours. Also, on a ship sponsored tour you are supposed to have priority debarkation, especially nice when tenders are used. Unfortunately, this "blending in" of passengers who chose not to purchase ship tours can clog this down for everybody. Sometimes we have taken ship tours, sometimes private ones...but when booking a private one we give ourselves plenty of "cushion" in timing. To each his own.

Can you tell me what deck and location to go for the blending in method on Glory for Belieze. Thanks

I'm not familiar with this method?

I think you mean is: "what deck and location do I go to so I can blatantly cut in line...infront of everyone else, that obviously, due to their location in said line were there BEFORE me." *shakes head*

We too booked our excursions privately and it wasn't til we were on the ship that we learned how 'getting off the boat' was going to work in GC. We were basically told its a first come first serve when not booked thru the ship (ncl) so to be 'first' get up early and be the first in line to get a ticket. We got tickets numbered around 150 (out of the first 300) by getting up at the crack of dawn and sending hubby to wait on line for tickets.

I have to admit, on this cruise I saw little if no chair hog, obnoxious children, cell phone blabbers, or other annoyances. While waiting rightfully in line with my tender ticket to be called I saw ticket 500 thru-any-ol-number getting on tender #1 (first 300 tickets), after we played by the rules. And no, no one at all did a thing about it.

Wiggle room was recommended when booking privately. Want peace of mind, book with the ship. Want to be a jerk... go get on any tender, using any ticket.. it works! Keep in mind,, the nice guy usually finishes last. We got off the ship on the first tender, doing it 'right'. Maybe next time we wouldn't be so lucky. Good thing I keep some wiggle room for us. And quite frankly (personally) Id rather miss a port all together then stress getting on and off and getting in a down mood by the rule breakers. JMHO, of course.

Jules

cruisingquestions:

Thank you for those remarks. My thoughts exactly! And, you are so right, the nice guy usually finishes last, but I have played "by the rules" all my life and have taught my children and grandchildren to do the same. We may not be as "well off' financially as some....but, without exception,,,my family is a happy, well adjusted, kind, considerate and respected group of folks. Can't ask for anything more!

We too booked our excursions privately and it wasn't til we were on the ship that we learned how 'getting off the boat' was going to work in GC. We were basically told its a first come first serve when not booked thru the ship (ncl) so to be 'first' get up early and be the first in line to get a ticket. We got tickets numbered around 150 (out of the first 300) by getting up at the crack of dawn and sending hubby to wait on line for tickets.

So what time did you send hubby down to wait for tickets? I'll think that's what I'll do he's an early riser anyway. I always play by the rules also but just wanted to get a feel for how this all works. The last time we cruised to a tender port the ticket thing didn't exist. You just walked down and got off first come first serve. Thanks.

Archived