Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking River Cruise - Cabin Location Question

Hello All!

Very new to cruising (have never taken one) But was hoping to surprise hubby for his bday next year with a late March/early April Tulips and Windmills cruise on Viking. They are running a great deal now and I spoke with a rep today and have a cruise on hold.

I was hoping I could get advice on the cabin selection. The selection is very limited and the one I have on hold is Cabin 339, which is on the upper deck at the end of the hall right before the Explorer Suites. I noticed it has a stairway right behind our back cabin wall. The sales rep assured me these were not used by passengers and only for safety exits etc. She mentioned that the solar panels are on that side also.

Anyone have any advice on this cabin location and if it might be noisy due to staff using it? The elevators are at the other end of the hall and nothing is above us - only the herb garden. I can't seem to find any independant reviews with cabin tips other than general ones for river ship location.

Thanks in advance for any and all info or advice!

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cabin Location

In your cabin location question. If next to stairs, I wouldn't worry about them. The stairs and hallways are carpeted. The top deck has outdoor carpeting on it too. We have had cabins next to stairs, and not heard any traffic noise, or people talking, etc.

When we select a cabin we look more for convenience of location to reception / dining, and proximity to stairs to get to various levels. While not cruise ship size, the boats are long. Middle locations, or close to stairs are convenient.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Milling73. We have done two cruises with Viking and although neither was on a longship, coincidentally we were at the end of the ship by the stairs and by the ice machine both times. Never a problem! Remember that a river cruise is very different from an ocean cruise: far fewer people and no late-night wild parties. Actually, it turned out to be convenient for us, but certainly not a problem.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
5,000+ Club

We did a Tulips & Windmills cruise with Viking last year on the Idun. We were in cabin 332. The only time we used those stairs or saw anyone else use them was to go up to the Sun deck.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa718 View Post
Hello All!

Very new to cruising (have never taken one) But was hoping to surprise hubby for his bday next year with a late March/early April Tulips and Windmills cruise on Viking. They are running a great deal now and I spoke with a rep today and have a cruise on hold.

I was hoping I could get advice on the cabin selection. The selection is very limited and the one I have on hold is Cabin 339, which is on the upper deck at the end of the hall right before the Explorer Suites. I noticed it has a stairway right behind our back cabin wall. The sales rep assured me these were not used by passengers and only for safety exits etc. She mentioned that the solar panels are on that side also.

Anyone have any advice on this cabin location and if it might be noisy due to staff using it? The elevators are at the other end of the hall and nothing is above us - only the herb garden. I can't seem to find any independant reviews with cabin tips other than general ones for river ship location.

Thanks in advance for any and all info or advice!
I was on this one with Viking the same time this year. You will love it.

Old October 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Cabin 338 (across the hall) on the Skadi and loved it. Very quiet. The stairs are for the staff and we never heard them. The stairs at the rear going up are very convenient to get to the upper deck without going all the way forward. We loved the location. Have a great time!

http://www.quiltingjan.smugmug.com recent travel photos

Jan. 21, 2014 Veendam Caribbean 21 days
Sept. 8, 2013 Viking Skadi 14 days River Cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam
March 30, 2013 Oosterdam NZ, AU, Pacific Island, HI to Seattle 37 days
April 27, 2012 Panama Canal Cruise, FL to San Diego on the Statendam 16 days (4* Mariners!!!!)
January 6, 2012 Veendam Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, including "drive by" of Antarctica (and side trip to Iguazu Falls) 18 days
May 13, 2011 Prinsendam Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam and Nordkapp 45 days
Aug. 19, 2010 Eurodam Amsterdam to NYC via North 18 days
Sept. 17, 2008 Zuiderdam Mediterranean 24 days
May 25, 2008 Volendam Alaska Southbound 7 days
May 16, 2008 Veendam Alaska Northbound 7 days
Aug. 3, 2005 Volendam Alaska Glacier Bay 7 days
Feb. 5, 2000 Ryndam Western Caribbean 7 days
Nov. 28, 1994 Maasdam Panama Canal 14 days
Feb. 2, 1994 Maasdam Western Caribbean 10 days

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great to hear this. We will be on the Viking Delling in June 2014 and will be in room 338. We were a bit concerned about the location but it was the last available in the category when we booked. Does anyone know which side of the ship, port or star side, affords the best viewing on the Romantic Danube.. Budapest to Nuremberg? Not that it matters now but it is still good to know.
Are there any locations where the captain turns the ship full circle to allow full viewing from all sides of the ship? Has anyone experienced that?

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are on the Viking magni as we speak, on the danube the right side of the ship gives the best views especially the Wachau Valley and the towns/vineyards. We arein room 217 midship, no motionwhatsoever

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Forums mobile app

Old October 30th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks CWRob. Are you sailing downstream towards Amsterdam/Nuremberg or upstream towards Budapest?

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hi

I have not traveled with viking. But have heard that it''s amazing. My first cruise trip http://blountsmallshipadventures.com/where-we-go/ was to Caribbean islands. Next we are planning to take yangtze cruise.