NCL Star 3/16/2014 sailing - Freestyle Dailies and more

Jbrock

You are my new favorite poster! We'll be doing this cruise (our first ever) next spring with a 3-year old.

Our 5 Year olds loved the Kid's Club and the Star has a great Kid's pool/slides area too! Hope you have a wonderful vacation! :)

Thank you so much! Did you have fun? Which one was your favorite port and why? Also I noticed they didn't list any happy hoyrs, did they get rid of them?

We had so much fun!! I didn't notice any happy hours...they may have happened and we were unaware. The evening of the White Party, they passed around complimentary cocktail in the Atrium as they introduced the evening. Our favorite port was Puerto Vallarta. It had a bit more of a tropical landscape/feel than Cabo and Mazatlan. We did the Las Caletas Hideaway excursion and it was excellent!

I'm glad you had so much fun!! We are thinking of booking the same excursion in Puerto Vallarta. How was Las Caletas? What did you do on the island? It looks like snorkeling would be awesome as well as the lunch provided. By any chance did you see how much extra the sea lion encounter was? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Just so excited and would like to hear a first hand experience. Thank you again.

I'm glad you had so much fun!! We are thinking of booking the same excursion in Puerto Vallarta. How was Las Caletas? What did you do on the island? It looks like snorkeling would be awesome as well as the lunch provided. By any chance did you see how much extra the sea lion encounter was? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Just so excited and would like to hear a first hand experience. Thank you again.

We did not experience the sea lions...I do not remember seeing that option while we were there...sorry!

Las Caletas was AMAZING! It was about a 30 minute boat ride with a continental breakfast and open bar...the crew was fantastic and very entertaining. The captain stopped to observe a whale and a pod of dolphins on our way. When we arrived at Las Caletas, we were served "welcome tacos" (fresh tortillas and beans...very good!). There are so many included options once you arrive: hammocks to relax in, two floating platforms to swim to (one has a diving board), snorkel equipment and a guided snorkel tour, kayaks, inner tubes, stand-up, paddleboards, sand toys, nature walks, animal encounters and adventure area for 4-11 year olds with a zipline, rock wall, etc...all of this is included! We ended out day with the most incredible mexican food lunch buffet I have ever seen! There was an open bar all day at Las Caletas and on the boat ride back to the ship. This was by far our favorite day, I would HIGHLY recommend it! :)

You should get commission because you completely have sold me on it! I am very glad that this was the highlight of your trip. Was the beach very crowded? I read that it was secluded, however the amount of people they bring onto their property can feel a little crowded.

You should get commission because you completely have sold me on it! I am very glad that this was the highlight of your trip. Was the beach very crowded? I read that it was secluded, however the amount of people they bring onto their property can feel a little crowded.

It never felt crowded. They brought 150 people over on our boat and that was it! They bring another tour group of 150 people in at lunch time and you overlap at lunch (which was not crowded at all!)...we were amazed that we didn't feel crowded! There were people trying to book this excursion and told us it was sold out...so, you may want to book early if you have the chance :-)

The Las Caletas excursions sounds terrific!!!! I'd love to book that!! Did you book this excursion through NCL or on your own through Vallarta Adventures?

We booked through NCL. It is run through Vallarta Adventures and I think it is the same price NCL charges. It is a wonderful excursion! :)

YEAH!!!!!! I am booking that excursion tonight, thanks!!!!

What excursion did you do in Cabo?

We arrived in Cabo right at noon. It was a beautiful port! We booked the Land's End Boat Tour through NCL and is was perfect! The Tour was 45 minutes long and started at 1:00pm. The tour had complimentary drinks and we went down to the famous arch, cruises the coastline for a bit and headed back. After our boat ride we had lunch and walked around/shopped for a few hours. We felt like there was enough of time to enjoy Cabo. It was beautiful and a great start to the vacation. Our boat left port right after sunset and it was a gorgeous sight!

What were your 3 favorite meals on the Star??

Where were those 3 favorite meals from?

We ate breakfast and lunch at the Buffet or the Pool Grill...we liked both.

We at dinner in both Versailles and Aqua (same menus)...they were good too!

We did eat at Moderno (The Churrascaria) and loved it! We enjoyed all of the food a little too much ;)

I definitely will book it asap. For some reason our Puerto Vallarta Excursions aren't available to purchase yet (even though Cabo and Mazatlan are). Maybe because we aren't sailing until the end of December. However felt that it was a little weird.

Thank you for the blurb on Las Caletas! Your quick paragraph sold me, too. Hoping to see some pics and a further review from you at some point.

Thanks!

I don't have a formal review and pictures...yet. If you have a spare 18 minutes, my husband put together a video of our trip :)

Edited by Jbrock

I don't have a formal review and pictures...yet. If you have a spare 18 minutes, my husband put together a video of our trip :)

Who said anything about "formal"??? :) Thanks for the video -- will watch with coffee tomorrow morning.