Montreal to Quebec

Looking at a cruise from Quebec City and cannot get rates or times to work. I'd like to fly into Montreal and then travel on to QC. Any experience with this? I'd love to hear experiences and advice. Thanks.

Hi,

From Montreal to Quebec the best way is by bus,

expect to pay 60$ per person to get on this : http://www.orleansexpress.com/fr/

Train is not as convenient, most train do not accommodate luggage ( some travelers say it is not a problem and they accept a couple of luggage per passengers ).

If you have a party of 4 or more...then renting a car is the most economical way. It is a pretty straight forward ride.

Have fun !

Looking at a cruise from Quebec City and cannot get rates or times to work. I'd like to fly into Montreal and then travel on to QC. Any experience with this? I'd love to hear experiences and advice. Thanks.

Here is the link for the Orleans Express bus in English:

http://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Apparently the buses are nice and you can use free wifi on them.

For my last cruise I took the Via train from Montreal to Quebec city. A very comfy ride with lots of leg space and good service (they pass twice with a food/beverage cart). I was supposed to take the bus but got a good last minute deal on the train. My train did not have a luggage car but there was a large space for suitcases in the front. I would check the baggage allowance to see if you can take the train.

The train service is not as frequent as the bus but I would still check it out. I got a time that was fine for me. Here is the Via link:

http://www.viarail.ca/

Live in one city, worked in the other , commuted for years, still do a few times a year. Yes, very easy drive . Not much to see, local route more scenic , but takes way much longer. Highway, quick and easy, ( you can Google map it) .

Bus, would be my first choose since getting to the ship on time is important, and they are known for beeing on time. Train much nicer and comfortable, but schedule not as accomodating and, highly important, sometimes late...:eek:.

Have a great cruise !

Edited by Sailingpeace

Forgot to mention in my previous post, Orleans Express which offers the bus service between Montreal and Quebec City also has a service directly from the Montreal airport (YUL). Just choose in the search criteria "Montreal (Aeroport Trudeau)". Here is the link again:

http://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

Like Sailingpeace mentions, driving to Quebec City from Montreal is pretty straightforward. Just bring a GPS if you have one as the signs will be in French. Here are the basics: Nord=North, Sud=South, Est=East, Ouest=West, Sortie=Exit. Many families coming back from QC drive back to the States without any problem (much cheaper than buying plane tickets for the whole family).

As for the train being late, unfortunately this might happen as freight has priority over passengers. Mine was on time and I was not stressed out because my ship was overnighting in Quebec City.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

We just did this last month. One way car rental was about $80. We had to drop it at the airport in Québec City and the cab care was another $20. But even adding in gas, this was much cheaper than bus or train for the four of us. When we arrived in Québec City, we drove to the port and parked. We put our luggage on the ship and checked in for the cruise. Since the ship wasn't leaving until the next day, there was no rush. We got a bite to eat, then got back in the car and drove to Mt. Morencey Falls. We spent a couple of hours there and then returned the car and came back to the ship. Was a very relaxing, no-stress arrival!

Back in 2012, we did a Canada/New England cruise sailing from Quebec City to NYC. As we were coming from the west coast of Canada, we could fly non-stop from Vancouver to Montreal. To get us from Montreal to Quebec we opted to take the train and we loved the experience. We were fortunate that our train added a luggage car to the route so we didn't have to worry about lugging our luggage onto the passenger car and just had to drop it off before boarding.