The BIG ISLAND Revealed vs. our trip

Suebee

As BUCKY3 asked in another post, "what did I do on The Big Island that the book The Big Island Revealed led me to"? I thought I would start a new thread to answer that question.

First I want to say that I reluctantly bought the book because guidebooks have been woefully inadequate for me in the past. This is the first time ever that the book actually remained open for the entire trip. We carried it to and fro. It was open the whole time as I read all of the wonderful background information on every site. I always hated when other guide books give a quick blurb, leaving me to wonder "But is it worth going there?"

I will capitalize each site so you can quickly find something if you're looking for it. I know vacation reviews can be boring.

Anyway, we arrived in Hilo at lunchtime on Monday and quickly went downtown to find lunch. We drove by CAFE 100 which is in the book so we stopped. Just as the book says, it has great, cheap food and is worth the stop. It was full of locals and full of choices. Its cafeteria style where you order and pickup your food, then find a table. We ate for about $13. We ate Loco Moco which the book says there are 150 varieties. I didn't notice that, but the price was right. We had the Kalua pork Loco Moco an the kids could share a cutlet loco moco. For those who don't know, loco moco is a bed of rice, topped with a meat of choice, brown gravy and a sunny side up egg...the idea is to blend the egg yolk with the rice and gravy for a nice flavor.

We had already been to the waterfalls outside of Hilo and the scenic drive and I agree with what the book said, even though we didn't go back this time.

We drove up to the VOLCANO'S NATIONAL PARK next to check into our hotel, KMC. Since we are Military, we can stay at KMC. If you a federal employee, you can eat there by the way, so we saw the park rangers and others using the facilities. If not, VOLCANO HOUSE will feed you too. That hotel had a wonderful rustic lodge feel and we really liked it there,even though we didn't stay....its worth it to stop for the views, especially at sunset.

As for VNP, I will generally say that the book is spot on. We did several of the hikes and it seemed that the descriptions were correct. The lava tube will be disappointing if you have seen other tubes before, but surely worth the 20 minute stop. The KILAUEA IKI hike was just the best, even in the rain and with kids. I wont give a blow by blow in the park, but the book was correct in what it said so refer to that. We also did the MAUNA LOA ROAD and the small BIRD PARK on that road and worth a diversion if you have time, but don't rush to see it. I can answer specific questions about the park.

We drove to the south side of the island to PUNALU'U BLACK SAND BEACH. We saw 2 turtles basking one day...we went back 2 days later because DS left his hoodie but both the turtles and hoodie were gone. There is camping there and lots of people when we went back so probably best to go on a weekday. DH had been previously at NA'ALEHU and PAHALA. The book is right...not much there except a snack/gas stop.

Down the road from VNP is VOLCANO VILLAGE. Not worth a stop if you are staying in VNP except for fuel and snack. GLENWOOD does have a nice view of the PU'U O'O crater. We went to the PANA'EWA RAIN FOREST ZOO on rt 11. We were pleasantly surprised. It is a small zoo but the kids loved it. It is free to get in. It was the perfect diversion for the kids so bring them if you have them with you.

The book describes the PUNA AREA. Follow their plan. We went to LAVA TREE STATE MONUMENT..worth a walk through. We could hear the tree frogs which was fun. We didn't hit the champagne pond but did go to KAPOHO TIDE POOLS. They removed their 'keep out' signs and replaced them with the hours of operation! Please respect residents and stay where it is marked. It was a great stop. No place to change and make sure you have your towels and water socks. AHALANUI WARM SPRING wasn't all that warm but full of locals. Worth a peek though. We drove the length of 137 to where the road ends but didn't stop again. A nice drive but we could've gotten out more. There is nothing to see from 130 back to rte 11.

Back around the south side, we didn't stop because the descriptions didn't make it sound worth it with kids. We headed straight for Kailua Kona. This is where our adventurous behavior took a back seat to the lure of relaxation at the resort. We stayed at SHERATON KEAUHOU RESORT which is not reviewed in the book because it was just renovated. They have a Keiki Club which was the highlight of the weekend for our kids...basically babysitting services in a well stocked facility. They have a great pool with waterslide. My complaint is the dining. There is 1 choice of place for lunch (by the pool) and dinner is expensive. We went out for dinner. The hotel has an Amenities card for $28 a day...they just started it in July. It includes buffet breakfast (normally $17 for adult, 14 child), Internet service, kids eat free at other meals, use of the kids camp even when you're not registered (drop in to play a little after dinner!), newspaper delivery, coffee in the room, and maybe something else I cant remember. SO you can see it is well worth it. The concierge service was well done. The kids club workers were just as wonderful with the insider information! Wait staff was a little weak. The Manta Ray watching at night was a fun experience.

For Dining, we ate a BUBBA GUMPS...my husband loves this place. I think it is overpriced. They need a lunch menu. KONA BREWING CO. was awesome. They were right about the flies, but the sampler beer and pizza (and tomato cheese appetizer I MUST add) were fantastic. OCEAN SEAFOOD was just as ONO as listed. The price was perfect but do not expect decor. I have to add that the price is $13.95 Sunday-Thursday, $14.95 on weekends for the buffet. For kids, their price is their age...in dollars. We drove by KIMO'S FAMILY BUFFET several times and it was completely empty. So we didn't stop. We stopped in at, and purchased some DONKEY BALLS. $10 a bag and high sales pitch. I thought expectations after what was written in the book.were a little high. They are yummy but not THAT yummy. A very pleasant stop was GREENWELL FARMS. No sales pitch...here's our coffee, sample all you want, the free tour starts in 5 minutes. We had 5 samples at least, went on the tour for 20 minutes, and ended up buying $85 in beans. Definitely worth a stop.

We stopped without kids at PU'UHONUA O HONAUNAU where we saw more turtles. Not too much to see, and they DID collect the $5 per car, but still worth a stop to see some of the more historical aspects of the Big Island. We stopped for less than an hour and it was really hot. But it was worth a peek.

We ended up taking the ATLANTIS SUBMARINE. I can say we are SO happy that we didn't pay full price. It would've been a rip off. $80 a head for a family of 4 would've been obscene. They say 'every tour is different' well, I hope so because ours was rather lame. We saw a lot of interesting reef fish and our son LOVED this trip, but I was watching my watch. Perhaps it was because it was the 1pm tour. We got the Kama'aina discount so it cost us $94 for all of us...I think we would've been mad if we didn't get a discount. The staff was just terrific but the narrator was loud and into his comic abilities (or lack thereof). Too bad one of the other staff members didn't narrate.

We didn't snorkel, much to my dismay and we didn't hit any beaches here. We spent a lot of time at our pool...more enjoyable for us.

Around the north to Waimea and all of that ranch land. There is no place to pet the animals like a petting zoo, FYI, but there is a few places where the horses are close enough to say hello...like at the PARKER RANCH HISTORICAL HOMES. We didn't feel like paying to walk around the visitor center so just stopped at the side of the road to see the horses, then we perused the shopping area. We continued to the WAIPI'O VALLEY LOOKOUT which was worth a stop. If you're low on gas, get it in HONOKA'A because its a long way to Hilo. We almost ran out of gas. Because of rain and the gas problem, we made no more stops to Hilo.....but we have seen a lot of it before.

Gosh I know that was long. Overall the book was the best purchase. We would've never have gotten all that information from web sites, concierges, etc. I recommend the book for sure. PLEASE feel free to ask questions!!!

What great information. I guess we'll just have to lug the extra weight and take all four books with us!! We usually have a duffel bag as one of our luggage pieces - poor guys who have to deliver that to our cabin! It always weighs a ton as we pack all of our difficult to pack items in there - shoes, snorkels, fins, books, colapsible cooler, etc. and now will add the Revealed books!! This is also another reason we drive to and from the pier and it makes a great excuse for having to do back to back cruises!! Sure do appreciate all you, Spleen, and Emi do to make our Hawaii visits wonderful! We stayed at that Sheraton years ago but can't remember if that was its name then. As I remember that pool sits right out over the ocean kinda on a point and the view was fantastic! Aloha!! Bucky

We need to have some 'satellite books' at the airport that people can pick up and drop off! Ha ha. But they are worth it.

Youre right about the hotel...imagine that and $40 million in renovations. I just wish it had another dining option. Poolside for lunch or early dinner (closed at 6:30), the crystal bar for tapas (not for kids) and the main dining which was $25-30 for entrees. But it wasnt a far drive too Kailua. Oh, I forgot a restaurant we missed. At the Keauhou Shopping Center, there is a Longs Drugs store where we could pick up some cheap provisions (pool dress, flip-flops), and a few dining options. We ate at Drysdale Too which is in the book...basically an open air sports-like bar. We had a couple of sandwiches which were standard...the food was good and service was quick and friendly. Don't make a special trip, but if youre hungry and shopping there like we were, it is a decent stop.

And Youre Welcome! I think we all enjoy keeping up with the boards. I finally have more than just Oahu to talk about!

Aloha

SueBee, if you're still on da big island and wanting some primo pizza, try Cafe Pesto at Kawaihae (maybe after a day at Hapuna Beach). I dunno if it's as good as the Cafe Pesto in Hilo, but that place has some of the best pizza - and most unusual pizza - I've ever had.

And yes, it's another find from the Revealed book.

(Beachchick here)

Mahalo Suebee. What a fantastic "review" of your trip and of the book. I agree, there should be book "rentals" at the airport. OTOH, I don't mind lugging ours because they have so much good information and we've written little notes and stuff in them. (I still haven't gotten Oahu yet, but we don't have any plans to go there at this point.)

I had forgotten that you are military, so obviously you already knew about the theater I mentioned before. (Oh well, someday my memory might improve.) Let me ask you a question about KMC. I noticed that civilian DoD contract employees are eligible to stay there. We have friends who would qualify and who are thinking about a trip to the BI. What are the various accommodations offered? Do some have kitchens? Did your kids enjoy staying there? What kind of food is available at the facility? Is there a website?

I agree with what you wrote and how it compares to the book. One thing we didn't get to do was go to Punalu'u, which I'm hoping to see next time.

Sounds like you had a terrific (and varied) trip.

Mahalo again.

beachchick

ps to sceptic: Yes, Cafe Pesto in Hilo is excellent. We had pizza, salad, and a little shrimp thing. Yum! (Drinks were good too.)

To answer your KMC questions. Yes, there is a website. It may or may not answer your questions well. http://www.kmc-volcano.com

The cabins are based on size (1 bedroom, 2 etc), and hot tub or no hot tub. There are dormatories but I dont know who they are for. As for cost, it would depend on rank (or job level). Ours was a 2 bedroom....one had a double and one had 2 twins. There was a kitchen with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, stove and all dish and potware. The living area was open to the kitchen and there was a dining area, sitting area, fireplace and TV with cable.

There is a dining hall, cafeteria style. Place your order and pay and they call you. You can also order take out lunches for hikes. Dinner does have ala carte items but is mostly based around theme buffets....Monday is Chef's Choice, Tuesday was Italian, Wed was BBQ/Western, Thu was Oriental. I forget Fri and Sat but Sunday was steak night. They were from $9.95-10.95 depending on the night.

There is also a snack bar at the 4 lane bowling alley. The rec center has video games, mini putt-putt, ping pong, fuseball, internet access, and board games.

The outdoor recreation has everything from bikes to strollers and camping equiptment for rental. There is a gas station, post office, starbucks, and laundramat too. The country store has clothes, snacks, up to full meals for sale...even frozen steaks if the dining hall doesnt do it for you. I am sure it is for the staff and rangers who live there.

My kids enjoyed staying there because they had a playground and bowling. Of course, the resort was much more thrilling because it had a pool. To do it again, we might have stayed one less night at KMC and one more at the resort.....but that is because we were limited as to what hikes we could do. We felt we exhausted that side of the island. I think it was the perfect choice to break up the trip and do a little on both sides than all at one place. Our original reservation was for the whole time. I would suggest the same for your friends.

My son lost his hoodie and we were caught in the rain and were able to find reasonably priced replacements at the shop. We ate breakfast in the cabin and one dinner to save a little cash too. It was also go to have a place to pick up water and snacks before hiking. Except for a pool, the place really did have everything one would need.

Another brain dump....let me know if you have any more questions! Take care

Civil Servants can also stay there; rates seem very reasonable, but I guess they do not have a pool, but they have a Starbucks and the cabins seem to have hot tubs and cable and fireplaces.

Is it too cool for a pool, do you think?

What great rates for military and civil servants. Thanks for telling us about it; we may go there on another trip! My hubby is a federal civil servant.

(Beachchick here)

Suebee: The KMC website is extremely helpful. I see what you mean by rates. That makes sense. Boy, those cottages with hot tub sound great. As always, you have been most helpful.

donna...: Correct, they do not have a pool, but I can kind of see why. It's much cooler at 4000 ft than at sea level. We stayed at Volcano House this June (loved it) and had to break out our "we live on CA's Central Coast" fleece jackets at night. The day time temps were really pleasant, but not "hot." I really didn't miss having a pool (and I'm a water baby, obviously). I didn't realize Civil Servants can stay there; how nice!

beachchick

donna...: Yes, the DoD civilian contractors I knew about because that's what I was asking suebee about before. I thought you meant any civil servant, and I hadn't seen that on the website. Also, mahalo for the info on the Hale Koa. It didn't occur to me to inquire about DoD contractor employees for Hale Koa. Cool!

beachchick

Break it up you two! Ha ha.

Anyway, my BIL works for FEMA and can get a base pass, but does NOT qualify to stay at one of the MWR facilities so you may want to check.

Yes, there is no pool at KMC but the only reason we missed it is because of the kids. Its too cool in the late day to swim and in the daytime youre out and about. Actually I dont think the kids even mentioned a pool while we were there...they were happy with the playground and bowling.

Donna, I have stayed at Hale Koa many times. There are also cabins on the beach at Bellows AFS, Barbers Point and Barking Sands (on Kauai). H.K. is the 4 star resort. The other 4 are simple cabins, some with better amenities than others. They can be reserves 365 days out for non-peak times...that means summer for most of them. During the summer you can reserve within 90 days. There is a pecking order at some places too. Some of the cabins are reserved for higher ranks until the last minute.

I can answer more questions about Hale Koa, Bellows, KMC and Barking Sands, but your best bet is to get to the individual web sites for the Q&A sections first. Hale Koa is harder to get into less than 10 months out....Bellows is tricky too. They are both great facilities. We reserved KMC 5 months out.

Archived