Just returned from the Sapphire Princess 7/31 Cruise to Alaska-My review

ceskydup

:)

Well I give Sapphire 6 Stars! My wife and I left Seattle July 31st. My family was celebrating my folk’s 50th anniversary so it was a special cruise. My second, Wife's first.

Embarkation: No problem here! We were on board in our room in under an hour. Luggage showed up 1 hour later. Disembarkment: UGH! A whole different story! Can you say Cattle call! All the bags are lined up and it is a free for all. Good luck finding your bag! My suggestion is buy a neon color bag or put a pager on it! A baggage carousel like you use in an airport would be a godsend!

PUBLIC ROOMS: Great! Funny comedian at the infusion Bar, the "Piano Man" was as good as a Vegas show! The internet room has plenty of desktops available. The Pools were NEVER crowded and the Hot tubs all 10 of them were ether empty or had 1-2 folks in them. The Lap pool I had to myself. I guess you can see I was very happy!

CABIN: We had an inside room, 2 decks (BAJA floor 10) below the middle of both pools. We just walked out are room and took 2 flights of stairs and BOOM we were right where the action was. Ether jump in a pool, Hot Tub or the bar or Horizon Buffet was right their. Are Cabin was just fine. Next time I will pay the extra $$$ and get an outside room with a deck. The Bathroom was clean, Shower was big enough! For an extra large person 275 pounds plus I could see it to be a bit snug. And let me tell you, I saw allot of EXTRA LARGE PERSONS!!

The bed was hard but that's OK. Do take a clock radio with a light it does help because it can be mighty dark! Plenty of closet and refrigerator space too.

Fitness & Recreation: I mentioned the pools and Hot Tubs above and also the Lap pool. Swimming against the current in the lap pool was a GREAT work out. The Spa is better equipped with the latest and greatest machines then my local gym. The Paddle tennis, shuffle Board and Ping pong tables were abundant and the wait was ether none or a small amount of time. A basketball court would have been nice but I am sure that is on another Princess ship. The Mini golf course I loved! I had read a prior review that the mini course was no big deal. WRONG!! It was tough!! Obviously the critic who said "No Big Deal" walked up the staircase and looked at it and left. What did she/he expect? A castle that you hit up a drawl bridge or into a dragons mouth? This course was a challenge do to the fact that there were so (On Purpose) many bumps and undulations. Tiger Woods would have a tough time to make par. I loved the course and it was well maintained.

DINING: We had P/C and were very happy. We tried every restaurant. Are group were 9 and they took care of us quite well. A party of 10 plus+ could be an issue. I think the biggest table in the entire restaurants seat 9. Formal nights were great. All the passengers took pride in how they looked. I wore a Tux and around 30% did also.

The selection of food was bountiful and delicious. Taking a tour of the gallery is a MUST!

HORIZON BUFFET: I have never seen so many LARGE people GRAZE! WOW! Did they even know there were sit down restaurants to enjoy? As for the food-No complaints! Plenty of it and great selection! No problem navigating around people to find what food you wanted. The Coffee was BAD. So my wife and I went to the Coffee bar everyday (Level 6) and got are fix.

Entertainment: (See Public Rooms Above)

SERVICE: Are Cabin Steward was terrific and courteous. The staff all in all was great! The first day they really push for you to do a wine taste and sign up for the Soda Card. I did pay for the Soda card but in retrospect I could have passed on that. You needed to drink 3-4 sodas a day to find it a value.

Shore Excursions:

Ketchikan: Just walked the City, Dock Street was nice. Especially all the Salmon in the river running through it. I highly recommend the Towns museum. It is located right near the entrance to Dock Street and for $2.00 it is a GREAT museum to learn about the local history.

TOURIST TRAP: Arctic Bar next to the Ship $5.50 pints and NO Atmosphere! Stay Away!

Juneau: We did the Helicopter tour with Coastal. LOVED IT! Landed on Herbert Glacier and took a sip of Glacier Water WOW! First Class Outfit! Highly recommend them!

TOURIST TRAP: Red Dog Saloon $6.00 pints. Gift Shop bigger then the bar! You’re treated like Cattle! Your just $ to them. Stay Away! Walk up the street 2 blocks to ALAKA Hotel MUCH BETTER! You’re treated like a local. The Red Onion Bar in Skagway is the bar of Choice!

SKAGWAY: Bike tour from White's pass down to Skagway. It was foggy so that was a downer. My wife really enjoyed it. Sockeye Cycle was the host and they did a really good job of handling the event.

BARS to check out are Moe's and Red Onion great selection of Beers on tap! And fun atmosphere

VICTORIA: Buckart Garden tour. TERRIFIC! It was VERY crowded. On a Non cruise ship weekday afternoon I can't think of any prettier place! But even with crowd’s it was truly beautiful! Downtown Victoria was awesome!

Seattle: Pikes Market...One word "OVERRATED!"

Tracy Arm: One Word "Incredible" God's Country!! Words can't describe the beauty!

HELPFULL HINT: Postey Notes for the Door and The Red Trim on the carpet in the Ship hallways is for even # cabins, Blue trim is for odd # cabins.

My Take away is that I want to return, Ether by Ship, Plane, Car? Or Canoe. I WILL BE BACK!

Any questions...Happy to answer!

Yes, He was a British Gentleman (don't remember his name) he wore glasses around 50+ years old. His side kick was a Brit to and I believe her last name was Darling? They read each morning excursions on the TV. He was good/Clever/professional. SHE WAS AWFUL! NOT FUNNY! It was Painful to watch!:mad:

I actually told the lady that shared shopping advice on TV (Another Channel) that she ought to replace her. She agreed and said submit a request to the Purser desk:eek:

Thanks for the review- it must be the year for the 50th anniversary for parents. We are doing the same thing in 2 weeks on the same ship. There is another review from the Diamond with the 50th anniversary also.

One question on this ship is there a show for the 50th anniversary couples?? Was just wondering.

Jan

Archived