Great Stirrup Cay? Solo wheelchair user

PBC29

Following information cut/pasted from this link http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/greatstirrupcayonyourown.html#.VUueobl0w5t

Tendering to Great Stirrup Cay. Your ship deploys a gangway to load passengers onto the tender; it's less steep than gangways at port facilities. Guests using wheelchairs are transferred to a large flat area at the bow of the tender, and they will remain there during the tendering process. From the tender, ramps are deployed on Great Stirrup Cay for the disembarkation process.

Wheelchair Access.

• NCL maintains a limited number of wheelchairs on Great Stirrup Cay that have been designed for use on sand. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The wheelchairs are free to borrow, and can be picked up at the Tender Pier. The beach wheelchairs are made for use on the sand.
  • Great Stirrup Cay features a variety of excursions; however, none are wheelchair accessible.
  • The bar and dining facilities on Great Stirrup Cay are wheelchair accessible.
  • All of the rest rooms are wheelchair accessible; however, they do not accommodate companions.

Check out this video of great Stirrup Cay :

Form what I was told if you cannot walk onto the tender or is you are small enough to be carried you will not be able to tender

The general policy for most all cruise lines is the wheelchair and mobility scooter are only allowed onto tenders if it has roll-on capabilities. There are some ports that the cruise line actually uses tenders provided by the port authority that actually have roll-on capabilities. For example -Grand Cayman

provides such tenders.

Specific to Great Stirrup Cay NCL does not use the shipped tenders. Instead there a retenders permanently moored at Great Stirrip Cay that have roll-on capabilities that NCL uses the will allow OP to board the tender.

Thanks for the video - guess I'll be making that day my sleep in day instead of getting off the ship.

Suggest you take the tender over to the island and access things for yourself provide your wheelchair is not manual. I've gone to several of the various cruise lines private island using a 3 wheel travel size portable scooter. I just took it slow and study following the path that every walks so the sand was packed. Granted it was a slow bumpy ride but I got to see the island and each lunch at the BBQ.

• Like 1

The general policy for most all cruise lines is the wheelchair and mobility scooter are only allowed onto tenders if it has roll-on capabilities. There are some ports that the cruise line actually uses tenders provided by the port authority that actually have roll-on capabilities. For example -Grand Cayman

provides such tenders.

Specific to Great Stirrup Cay NCL does not use the shipped tenders. Instead there a retenders permanently moored at Great Stirrip Cay that have roll-on capabilities that NCL uses the will allow OP to board the tender.

I understand this is the policy, but being in a chair full time and having been told it is up to the captain if wheelchair users are allowed to try and tender, and the fact that the weather can change at any time and make it impossible to get back to the ship because it is too dangerous. That makes me very nervous to try and trust others with my well being