Norwegian EPIC Freestyle Dailies

clean1owner

I am just looking for clarification on whether the pool is covered or not? Wondering if the weather end of Jan. sailing from Barcelona will be nice enough to enjoy the pool..any ideas? I have searched the average temps for most of the ports and am thinking an outdoor pool is not going to be warm enough.

thanks

Hi there, I am on the epic out of Barcelona on the 24th jan also, I did a similar itinerary last january, I found the hot tubs were very popular, but the pools were only for the very brave xx:) I have booked the spa:D

We are on the 11 day west med next week. No covered pool on NCL ships....unless you get a spa pass then there is the thalssotherapy pool.

Many people find it too cold, but folks who are used to colder climates will be found in the pool and using the slides...like us hardy Canadians :D and enjoying them not being so crowded ;)

We also have spa passes for the days it is just a wee bit too cool even for us

thanks!!! guess I will go and check the deck plan and see where the hot tubs are, and I, tho being a hardy Canadian, will not be going in any pool when the outdoor weather is normally under 70 degrees this time of year..:p....might have to find info on the spa pass as well..DH doesnt "do" pools unless they are like 95 degrees!

thanks again

p.s......is the spa area likely to be packed and not enough loungers for all folks?

Hi there, I am on the epic out of Barcelona on the 24th jan also, I did a similar itinerary last january, I found the hot tubs were very popular, but the pools were only for the very brave xx:) I have booked the spa:D

We are on the 11 day west med next week. No covered pool on NCL ships....unless you get a spa pass then there is the thalssotherapy pool.

Many people find it too cold, but folks who are used to colder climates will be found in the pool and using the slides...like us hardy Canadians :D and enjoying them not being so crowded ;)

We also have spa passes for the days it is just a wee bit too cool even for us

Edited by newcruisers04

thanks!!! guess I will go and check the deck plan and see where the hot tubs are, and I, tho being a hardy Canadian, will not be going in any pool when the outdoor weather is normally under 70 degrees this time of year..:p....might have to find info on the spa pass as well..DH doesnt "do" pools unless they are like 95 degrees!

thanks again

:D Mine is the same. Our pool at home has to be heated to 85 with the day time temp closer to 90 from solar heat for him to get in lol and he certainly would not be getting in the pools on the Epic either.

They are heated...just not to those temps, mostly to take the "edge" off.

On our Alaskan cruise a few years ago the temps were similar. There were max 6 ever in the pool. It was heated enough that I was ok with it he got in every now and then to appease me lol ..but I swim in lakes rivers and the Atlantic Ocean so I am used to not having everything overly heated.

I may dip in once in a while...but mostly my friend who I am traveling with this time and I plan to use the slides and the spa.

can we buy spa passes just for sea days, or is it best to get it for the whole 10 days? Guess I will pack us each one bathing suit...there are hot tubs outside the spa correct, that we dont have to pay to use?

I will not be using the slides this time that is for sure....just had surgery to try and repair damage to my knee from a fall on Allure in Nov. 2014...yeh that long ago...isn't our health system amazing???

:D Mine is the same. Our pool at home has to be heated to 85 with the day time temp closer to 90 from solar heat for him to get in lol and he certainly would not be getting in the pools on the Epic either.

They are heated...just not to those temps, mostly to take the "edge" off.

On our Alaskan cruise a few years ago the temps were similar. There were max 6 ever in the pool. It was heated enough that I was ok with it he got in every now and then to appease me lol ..but I swim in lakes rivers and the Atlantic Ocean so I am used to not having everything overly heated.

I may dip in once in a while...but mostly my friend who I am traveling with this time and I plan to use the slides and the spa.

can we buy spa passes just for sea days, or is it best to get it for the whole 10 days? Guess I will pack us each one bathing suit...there are hot tubs outside tje spa.

They will sell day passes if they are not sold out of spa passes.

However given what we have been discussing my understanding is the spa passes will sell out.

On my sailing the 11 day passes for presail on myncl have been sold out since late November.

They will have some for sale on board and then if they are not sold out they will sell day passes.

Yes there are other hot tubs available outside of tje spa...bit again given tje weatjer it may be tricky getting in one as often as you may like.

Your best option if it matters is to get a spa pass. The spa on epic is lovely.

Amd a great place to relax

Cjeck your my ncl account and see if the passes are sold out or not.

If not you can buy them in cad at a discounted rate.

If they are sold out then as soon as you board head up to the spa and you will be a le to purchase them before they run out.

]

You will really enjoy the therapy pools. It will feel good for your knee especially after touring.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the Epic Sailing on June 26th from Barcelona Spain and returning on July 3rd. I have a few questions I'd love to get some answers to if anyone of you know or care to help me out.

1) Our cruise docs state Boarding time will begin at noon and to not get to the port more than 1 hour prior to boarding. I have been told by a few people that I should get there before 1 hour before because there will already more than likely be a ton of people in line by 1 hour before departure. Is this true? If so, how early should we plan to arrive at the port?

2) How early in the cruise can you schedule your tender for ports where you know there is one? Approximately how long does it take to get off the boat each morning? If the ship is schedule to be in port by 8 am what time could one reasonably expect to be off the boat when there are tenders and when there isn't.

3) When the ship is scheduled to depart at a certain time what time should you expect to be back at the ship? I have read online that you must be on 1 hour prior to departure or they will not let you on the ship. Is this correct? How long does it take to get back on the ship when you get there?

4) I read that you are able to bring bottled water on the ship but I didn't see how much you can bring. Does anyone know?

5) When we return to Barcelona the ship states disembarkation at 5 am. Does everyone have to get off that early or can you get up at a decent time? What time do you have to be out of your room? We don't fly out until 2:45 in the afternoon so I'd rather not have to rush off in the morning if at all possible.

6) Are there any tips that you would like to share with a first time cruiser?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the Epic Sailing on June 26th from Barcelona Spain and returning on July 3rd. I have a few questions I'd love to get some answers to if anyone of you know or care to help me out.

1) Our cruise docs state Boarding time will begin at noon and to not get to the port more than 1 hour prior to boarding. I have been told by a few people that I should get there before 1 hour before because there will already more than likely be a ton of people in line by 1 hour before departure. Is this true? If so, how early should we plan to arrive at the port?

2) How early in the cruise can you schedule your tender for ports where you know there is one? Approximately how long does it take to get off the boat each morning? If the ship is schedule to be in port by 8 am what time could one reasonably expect to be off the boat when there are tenders and when there isn't.

3) When the ship is scheduled to depart at a certain time what time should you expect to be back at the ship? I have read online that you must be on 1 hour prior to departure or they will not let you on the ship. Is this correct? How long does it take to get back on the ship when you get there?

4) I read that you are able to bring bottled water on the ship but I didn't see how much you can bring. Does anyone know?

5) When we return to Barcelona the ship states disembarkation at 5 am. Does everyone have to get off that early or can you get up at a decent time? What time do you have to be out of your room? We don't fly out until 2:45 in the afternoon so I'd rather not have to rush off in the morning if at all possible.

6) Is it well worth buying a photo package prior to boarding? What do they cost while on board?

7) Are there any tips that you would like to share with a first time cruiser?

1. 1030. They open check in at 11 so go straight for the queues.

2. Right away but there isn't more than one I think tender in Europe for the epic. Most stops you walk off. They're very prompt. Sometimes 30 min delay.

3. Correct. 1 hour before. They have a daily magazine which shows all aboard. Give yourself more time especially if you are unfamiliar. Don't be late. Even if the boat is there there is no chance to get on.

4. Just bring a couple. You can refill on the ship for free from dispensers. 5. The latest I think is 10. Barcelona Airport is 30 minutes away. 6. No, but I always buy some. It's like 250 for 50 photos 99 for 10. But you will buy some. 7. Bring a multi block. Excursions are really expensive. There is now a company that follows the boat around offering the same tour at half price. A lot of European stops are good to just walk off. Bring a small carry on bag with change of clothes. When you board, it might be a few hours before you get your cabin or you may get that but not your bags. Jacuzzi and bars are open and it's a great way to get going. Cruise lines have you captive for purchases. Try not to spend. You will anyway but try not to.

1. 1030. They open check in at 11 so go straight for the queues.

2. Right away but there isn't more than one I think tender in Europe for the epic. Most stops you walk off. They're very prompt. Sometimes 30 min delay.

3. Correct. 1 hour before. They have a daily magazine which shows all aboard. Give yourself more time especially if you are unfamiliar. Don't be late. Even if the boat is there there is no chance to get on.

Thank you for your response. :D

4. Just bring a couple. You can refill on the ship for free from dispensers. 5. The latest I think is 10. Barcelona Airport is 30 minutes away. 6. No, but I always buy some. It's like 250 for 50 photos 99 for 10. But you will buy some. 7. Bring a multi block. Excursions are really expensive. There is now a company that follows the boat around offering the same tour at half price. A lot of European stops are good to just walk off. Bring a small carry on bag with change of clothes. When you board, it might be a few hours before you get your cabin or you may get that but not your bags. Jacuzzi and bars are open and it's a great way to get going. Cruise lines have you captive for purchases. Try not to spend. You will anyway but try not to.

Oh, I didn't know there would be a place to refill the water bottles.

Good to know.

10 AM is definitley doable. I just didn't want to have to get up at 4 or 4:30 and start having to get off the boat at 5:00. I wasn't sure if they made you leave your room at say 6 am or what.

A multi block I assume you are referring to plug outlets? Good to know. I think I had thought of it at one time but had forgotten. Are the ships equipped with US or European plugs/voltage?

Yes, I have noticed that excursions are expensive. I have booked all of ours but have booked separate from the ship because I don't like big groups. Of course that comes with a big cost too so just deciding which are more important to us and which aren't.

I am going to try not to spend while on board. We have the UBP and specialty dining package that came with our cruise so we are not planning to spend any additional on food or beverages.

We are going to skip the spa as I know you can drop a lot of cash there.

The pictures was the only thing I wasn't sure of but the packages seem so expensive I didn't know if they are cheaper before you leave or if it works out to be basically the same when your on board. I hate to over buy on photos by purchasing a bigger package than necessary. I assume they wouldn't give you a refund if you decided you don't want that many. lol...

Charger is... US I think. Double check. Yes there's only really one place in the room with plugs and there are two sockets. Your right to skip the spa. I got the spa pass the last time but it depends on whether you are indoorsy or outdoorsy as there are 4 Jacuzzis up top (and a bar). Photos are not cheaper pre bought. Wait to the 2nd last day. To get them on usb is another 20 but that's not bad as they were using 16gig data cards in March, so good value and reusable. If you have the specialty dining, do pre book. Do really consider your excursions. We got a ticket on the train to Rome, which includes all metro and busses in Rome for 12 euro. Saw the main bits and left on our own schedule.