Zuiderdam 10/15-10/22

Knox

Hi everyone...

Just wanted to say that we could not have asked for a better anniversary cruise. We absolutely loved the Zuiderdam and have no real complaints. Yes, we did miss Nassau, but the Captain made a decision that was in the best interest for safety, and I will never complain about that.

I plan to write a more detailed review, but here are a few observations:

1. Embarkation was the easiest that I have ever experienced. Even though we were stuck in traffic for over 45 minutes, once we got to the HAL terminal, we were on the ship within 25 minutes.

2. If you stay at the Sleep Inn on Dania, book your courtesy bus to the port early. We booked once we arrived at the hotel and had to settle for a 1:30 hotel departure.

3. Yes, there are potholes beneath the carpet and the ship is showing some wear, BUT, in no way did this detract from our cruise experience. The right attitude will make or break your vacation. Besides, there is a reason that the Zuiderdam is going into drydock...we knew that when we booked our week.

4. The shows are great...don't miss Joel Mason or the Zuiderdam Superstars (passenger talent contest). Joel Mason is better that Elton John and you will get a kick out of seeing the talent (or lack of) of your fellow passengers.

5. Love being able to stay in your cabin until your number is called for disembarkation. We were able to enjoy room service and our balcony right up until we had to leave.

6. Do not hesitate to book an aft verandah...yes, there was some vibration...but it IS a ship. We absolutely loved the bigger verandah and made good use of it.

7. Patouche charters (Tortola, BVI) are the greatest. We had a wonderful day sail to The Baths and Cooper's Island. Worth every penny and then some!

More to follow in a more detailed review.

Good review points. look forward to reading your full report.. So you liked your aft cabin eh.. We didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would, we sailed Sept 10th & 17th.. the first week - Western Caribbean, it was so hot out on the deck, we almost never went out, you needed shoes to even talk to the end. We got more use of the balcony the second week. I would not book an aft cabin in future. We didn't mind the people looking down, there weren't that many anyway.. mostly at sail aways.

Nancy

We used the verandah mostly in the early mornings and early evening...cocktails/wine before getting dressed for dinner. We were also blessed with excellent weather...slightly overcast, so it was not too hot. In talking to some friends who had side verandahs, they said that they hardly were able to enjoy it because of the wind during sailing. This was not a problem on the aft verandah. We agree that the people on the upper decks did not pose a privacy issue.

Knox,

Interesting. I had a side veranda and the wind was not a bit of a problem. We ate breakfast most mornings outside and I enjoyed going out for a few minutes after dinner before going to the shows and later on at night. I chose that date for the full moon but unfortunately the overcast almost every night kinda spoiled that.

Hope you had as great a time as we did!

:) They were on deck 8 (Navigation deck) forward. Location may have something to do with the wind. As for our cruise, it was fantastic. I would have liked those extra days at sea, but the air connections would have been a nightmare. I hated missing Nassau, we had day passes to Sandals, but I do not fault the Captain. He made the best decision with the info he had on hand. We sure were blessed with wonderful weather on our cruise...I think we can thank Wilma for sucking away the trougth that had settled on the lower eastern caribbean.

Knox,

We were on deck eight also (8044). We were on the Port side of the ship. Were they on the Starboard side? I noticed on the ships channel that the wind was usually blowing in at an angle from the bow toward port which could explain wind if they were facing into it.

Sorry to miss you at the meetings.

We made it late to the initial gathering...about 10 minutes before the life boat drill. I did get to meet a few people at the Q&A with James Deering and at the Captains cocktail up on the observation deck on Wednesday night...got to meet Andy, Louise, Amaris & Jerry.

Knox,

What can you tell me about Patouche Charters in Tortola? I would love to book with them, but am hesitant about getting back to the ship on time. Our scheduled time in Tortola is 7a-5p. Was that yours, and were you cutting it close for the all-aboard? Thanks a lot--also, what all was included with Patouche--snorkel gear, open bar, lunch, etc.?

Archived