Something you should avoid in while in the islands is...

lhall85917

I have to say that in the years we lived here, I was only disappointed in two things...one is the fern grotto on Kauai although I heard that the grotto is a little more lush now. That is only worth it if you have a couple hours only and want to stick near (or relatively) the airport.

The other was the Atlantis Submarine in Kona. I heard that it was the best of the three (I hope not). We saw very little in terms of sea life and the guide was horrible. My kids liked it though.

The zoo, Aquarium, Sea Life Park and Bishop Museum will be disappointments if you have been to Florida, San Diego or Boston's counterparts. But honestly, we are members of two of them because our kids simply love going there. Looking through their eyes, they are worth the afternoon.

I find the most thrilling things here involve the natural beauty. The golf courses are stunning, the sailing, water sports, North Shore waves, sea turtles, volcano, Waimea Falls swimming....we as a family enjoy those most.

I think this is another one of those questions whose answers depend on taste. We have people visit all of the time...some want nothing to do with Honolulu, some want to be in the thick of it.

Some want only nature tours, others come for Pearl Harbor and other historical or museum sites.

It depends on your personal interests and expectations.

Oh, I don't live in the Sandwich Isles. But I've learned to spend as much time as I can afford when I manage to get over there. I desperately try for two weeks minimum. This involves begging work for more time, petty larceny, bribery of officials, and general whining on my part. It's not a pretty sight.

Happy New Year to all! May the fireworks over Kailua be especially glorious.

Archived