Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old March 30th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default captains cocktail party

Hi can any one tell me if you have to pay for the drinks at the captains cocktail party.
Oh and what about the Champagne Waterfall?
Thanks in advance.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Drinks

No it does not cost anything. At the Captains party you might get two drinks

Old March 30th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roeser
No it does not cost anything. At the Captains party you might get two drinks
... I even had 3 drinks last weeks at the captains party ! The same applies to the champagne waterfall.

Future cruises :

Old March 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

And, we've found that if you ask nicely, you have can have drinks other than they offer on the trays that come around.

Old March 30th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just be aware--it's only 1/2 an hour!!!

We got there 5 minutes before they were done--I had no idea what to expect and figured we'd go there for about 1/2 hour before dinner.........it didn't work....

They were still great and gave us each a drink!

Old March 30th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Go early drink fast. This is one of the few freebies you will find. But then again it did cost 3000 dollars for that free drink.

Old March 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, the drinks are free on Princess; however, they are generally pretty watered down. (IMHO.) Of course. if you drink wine, this doesn't apply. The party area is really crowded and usually hot from the combined body heat of the large number of people attending, especially at the Captains' welcome party. The formal wear doesn't help the temperature problem either.

The number of drinks you might get has a lot to do, with your position in the room. I noticed that if you are seated off to the sides, you'll not get to many drinks, as the servers are ambushed, as they leave the bar with them.

The Champagne waterfall night, is also crowded; however, there is no shortage of champagne, the servers are all over the place and there is plenty for all!

It is especially important at the Captains' welcome party, to be there a little early or at least on time, because as stated here, it doesn't last all that long.

De Oppresso Liber — RLTW

Princess — Elite Status

Completed Cruise: Coral Princess 03 May '06 Panama Canal

Completed Cruise: Star Princess — 22 Sept '06 Copenhagen to New York

Completed Cruise: Island Princess — 26 Apr '07 — 11 May '07 Los Angeles Roundtrip Hawaiian Islands. 15 Days

Completed Cruise: Island Princess, Coastal Cruise — May 11, 07 to May 14, 2007 (Actually, a continuation.) LA to Vancouver, BC (3 Days)

Completed Cruise: Island Princess 20 Sept — 9 Oct '07 Round Trip LA to Panama. 19 Days

Completed Cruise: Sapphire Princess. 14 Apr — 14 May 2008 Sydney, AU to Los Angles, CA (31 Days)

Completed Cruise Star Princess. 16 MAR -30 MAR '09 Rio De janeiro to Valpraraiso D-701 (15 Days)

Completed Cruise Star Princess. 30 Mar - 17 April '09 - Valpraraiso to San Francisco. D-701 (18 Days) Total 33 Days.

Completed Cruise Star Princess:
Star Princess: 24 April — May 22, 2010 Northern Europe Grand Adventure D704 (28 Days)

New Cruise Booked: RT Los Angeles — Hawaii 11 April to 25 April 2012

Old March 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

That's two per person. I get my drink or two but never drink it, so I pass it on to another in my group. (they are not drunkards, they nurse it for a good half-hour after the party)

Old March 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBeret
The number of drinks you might get has a lot to do, with your position in the room. I noticed that if you are seated off to the sides, you'll not get to many drinks, as the servers are ambushed, as they leave the bar with them.
We came a few minutes after it started this last time (had to wait until kids' area opened and then come down to the lounge). No line, unlike the previous cruise which had a long line. So we ended sitting on the side. The waiters seemed to stay in the middle. I finally caught one waiter's eye when he came in the general direction and we got one (and only one) drink.

During the Captain's Gala party, the waiters walked around with trays in the Grand Atrium and basically ignored me. So I almost tackled one waiter (more like, I waited for one to stop moving and asked what drink is that and then grabbed it).

At the Champagne waterfall though, a waiter walking by, stopped and offered me a glass.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old March 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
10,000+ Club

The freebie drinks are watered down which is good for me. A couple of these drinks (I'm a nurser so a drink lasts a long time with me) and I'm not tipsy and won't get a migraine from them.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old March 31st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not sure where they get the champagne they serve at the waterfall - maybe they pour the good stuff on the waterfall and serve the bilge water. It is free, though...