Verizon cellphones in Bermuda**** Update

Shifty1

Just a little info for those who want to use thier phones in Bermuda. I called Verizon and asked what was the charge and what needed to be done to your phone so you could call internationally. They said the charge is 69 cents a minute for roaming and it still comes off your monthly minutes. Supposedly if you call Verizon to Verizon you still get charged 69 cents per min. but the usage is not charged against your monthly time. All you need to do for international calling is to update your phone by dialing *228 and pressing option #2 from the recording, which you should do as close to your trip as possible. From what they told me Verizon is putting up new towers all the time for better connections so you should update your phone every month anyway. Well that's the scoop, I hope I got it right. I think 69 cents a min. plus air time isn't too bad when you hear about the $6 & $7 charges that I read about on some of the boards for emergency calls and such. Anyway hope this was a help to somebody. Bye

Just a little info for those who want to use thier phones in Bermuda. I called Verizon and asked what was the charge and what needed to be done to your phone so you could call internationally. They said the charge is 69 cents a minute for roaming and it still comes off your monthly minutes. Supposedly if you call Verizon to Verizon you still get charged 69 cents per min. but the usage is not charged against your monthly time. All you need to do for international calling is to update your phone by dialing *228 and pressing option #2 from the recording, which you should do as close to your trip as possible. From what they told me Verizon is putting up new towers all the time for better connections so you should update your phone every month anyway. Well that's the scoop, I hope I got it right. I think 69 cents a min. plus air time isn't too bad when you hear about the $6 & $7 charges that I read about on some of the boards for emergency calls and such. Anyway hope this was a help to somebody. Bye

Just like many cruise line CS info, this is not what Verizon wireless actually does. Roaming minutes do not count against your monthly minutes which are normally in plan only. When you call or recieve a call you will be charge .69 a minute. That is the roaming charge and the airtime charge if there is a local charge that verison pays you get billed that too. I have used my verizion phone in Bermuda..it worked fine pretty much throughout the island. When calling verizon to verizon(if the phones are in Bermuda) you both pay the roaming change.

International Roaming - Bermuda

Per Minute Rate

Voice Calls are $0.69 per minute (may be higher for some calling plans). Long distance charges, toll charges, taxes and surcharges may also apply.

City Listing

HamiltonService is not available in all areas. Rates vary by Calling Plan. If not included in Home Airtime rate, generally 69¢/min. (may be higher for some Calling Plans) plus pass-through of serving carrier’s long distance charges, taxes and surcharges. See your sales representative for details.

Also, the *228 phone update should be done by all verizon wireless users whether or not they are calling international. All it does is update the phone to recognize any new cell towers that have been put up since the last update.

They did take prepaid cards a few years ago when my son tried calling his girlfriend. Unfortunately, they were a little picky about what cards would work. I would suggest waiting and buying a card there. I'm sure that's what the crew uses all the time for their calls. I'm sorry I don't remember what cards were acceptable.

I also used my Verizon cell phone two years ago to call home. If I remember correctly the bill was about $15 for a 5 minute call.

Archived