Pros and Cons in Alaska

jmelnick

There's more to picking an Alaskan cruise than just the cruiseline. How much time do you have for an Alaskan vacation? Enough to spend time touring interior Alaska before or after a one-way cruise? If not, a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle might be best.

In my opinion, the itinerary is the most important element of an Alaskan cruise. I wanted a one-way cruise plus a one-week independent land trip. I chose the northbound Pacific Princess for its great itinerary (3 port towns and 3 glaciers), and the fact that it's a much smaller ship than most that sail to Alaska was a bonus. If I were doing a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver, I would choose HAL's Zaandam/Zuiderdam, which IMO has the best roundtrip itinerary.

What would be the pros and cons for the various cruise lines in Alaska?

Your question is very broad so difficult to answer. I agree with Nancy..the itinerary is the most important factor for my next cruise to Alaska.

Look at times in port but remember it stays light very late in the summer months.

We sailed NCl. It was fine and the only 11 day itinerary offered last Sept... great trip BUT no Naturalist onboard and I feel that would have enhanced our cruise a great deal.

Do you prefer the flexible dining offered by PRincess [Anytime dining] and NCL [ Freestyle]??

Holland America, NCL and Princess go to Glacier Bay. Celebrity and RCCL do not.

When we were planning our trip I got the brochures for each cruiseline and studied the itineraries. I found it was much easier to look at the brochures in hand rather than jumping back and forth on the internet sites.. printing stuff out etc..

Alaska is wonderful. We plan to return in 2007..probably HA this time RT Vancouver. Also thinking about a NB,SB back to back..we shall see!

Your thread title is slightly different than your message. I only point this out because I had an answer for the title

Pros: amazing scenery, amazing activities, amazing people, amazing food and ships. :D

Cons: having to return home after 7, 11, or 14 days :(

As to your clarifying message, I agree with Lee and Nancy.

Archived