Report - Cal Mar Hotel - Santa Monica CA

Okay, so since lishka had asked about this hotel in another thread (and as I'm able to start checking on hotels for people here) I'd start review/report threads for the different LA hotels that people ask about...

Then they can also add in their review afterwards...

So, I had some meetings and some work to do in Santa Monica today, so since I was right near the Cal Mar Hotel, I decided to check it out...

www.calmarhotel.com

220 California Ave.

Santa Monica CA 90403

800-776-6007

So, in general...

This is a really great and generally safe area.

There are a lot of typical Santa Monica apartment buildings and houses in the area, people walking their dogs, roller-blading, etc.

This is actually one of those great "old" (for LA) apartment buildings that has been turned into a hotel. So it is not a "hotel" hotel...

Really think here...

Have you ever seen Melrose Place (the TV show)?

It is very much like that (as well as some of the other boutique hotels that I love around LA and Hollywood), where it is literally a square of building/rooms built around a courtyard and pool.

All of the front doors and windows face into the pool/courtyard area.

All of the back (in this case bedroom) windows face outside to the street or alleyway...

(While I'm thinking about it, in this particular case, I don't know, but I'm guessing that the rooms on the North and East side are going to be a little more likely for some "street noise" - although it is a quiet street; and then the rooms on the South and West side could be quieter, because they are just facing inward to other buildings/apartments)

So, checked the rooms. They are all basically one bedroom apartments with a pullout couch in the front/entertainment area (that looks to me like it could sleep two), but room for a rollaway or something on the floor.

Dining room area, and I'm not even calling it a "kitchenette", it is really a full kitchen.

The one room I saw, spotlessly clean...

Pool was fully heated (I stuck my hand in:o ), but not huge.

Great greenery around the courtyard, and tables and chairs with umbrellas.

They have some kind of laundry facilities, although I did not check that out specifically.

So, very small and boutique-y in a good way, if you want that or like that.

Now as of today, Diane is the evenings manager, and Jim is the day/main manager.

From my experience today, I'm going to say that this is not like big hotel, where you are unknown guest number. She took about 20 minutes today to answer all of my questions, and show me around; and I saw her personally helping guests that were checking in...

I wasn't even a guest, and she took that time, so I'm going to say in my experience that it's going to be really personal customer service here.

They will also arrange any shuttles or anything you need.

Then (if it interests you) they have the bonus of Amazing LA Tours

www.amazinglatours.com

Picks up directly from the hotel at 9:10 AM for morning tours, and 12:25 PM for afternoon tours.

I'm not recommending them for the best tours (if you have to or want to do that - www.redlinetours.com is what I think are the best actual tours), but check out the website if you are interested, as that is really convenient that they pick up from this hotel.

Location/Convenience:

This is located literally one "long" block from Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade

www.downtownsm.com

Where there are tons of restaurants, shopping, theaters, etc.

This area has been featured in many films and TV shows...

Then you are also two "short" blocks from Palisades Park, which is on a big cliff (Palisade - look it up:D ) overlooking the Pacific Ocean...

Featured in (the best one I can think of right now) "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117979/

Then you are right within walking distance to:

Pacific Park:

www.pacpark.com

Also many movies and TV shows, and fun for kids and adults alike,

then easy to walk south from there to get to

Venice Beach:

www.venicebeach.com

So, Pros of this hotel:

Great location

Safe area

Easy walking distance to a lot of activities

Very clean

Great if you want a boutique apartment hotel with a kitchen

Cons of this hotel:

If you really need a typical hotel-hotel, this is not it.

If you desperately need or want a view of the Pacific Ocean, you won't get that here, as it is two blocks in.

I hope this helps people in the future, and any future CCers that stay here, add their reviews.

CJW

I am sitting here with my jaw hanging open.

It's not so much my relief with the hotel being better than I hoped...it is that you took the time and went there! I am blown away!

Thank you from all 5 of us! It sounds like just the kind of place we need for 2 nights pre-cruise! If we had to look elsewhere we would need 2 rooms (for 5 of us!) but this way we all get to stay together in our own 'apartment'!(This will cost us much less at under $150/night.)

I am so grateful....and we would be very happy if, in March of 2007, you would join us for a drink poolside at the Calmar!

I am sitting here with my jaw hanging open.

It's not so much my relief with the hotel being better than I hoped...it is that you took the time and went there! I am blown away!

Thank you from all 5 of us! It sounds like just the kind of place we need for 2 nights pre-cruise! If we had to look elsewhere we would need 2 rooms (for 5 of us!) but this way we all get to stay together in our own 'apartment'!(This will cost us much less at under $150/night.)

I am so grateful....and we would be very happy if, in March of 2007, you would join us for a drink poolside at the Calmar!

LOL!

Not a problem!

I'm glad to help...

In the meantime, keep me updated, if I'm in town, then I'd love to join you for a drink poolside!:D

That being said, I'm trying to remember posts, but I think that you have 2(?) 18 year old-ish young women?

There is SO much great shopping for them in this area!

If I'm confused, then ignore all of this, although this may be helpful for other people reading...

First of all...

There are TONS of great stores and shopping on the Third Street Promenade, which is one block from your hotel!

Too many stores to mention, BUT, here's the thing...

Third Street Promenade is an old (used to be) regular street, many years ago, they closed it down, so that it is only a pedestrian/walking street...

So, there are several great stores all around for blocks...

BUT, they have these little kind of "booth" stores in the middle of the walking street.

There is ONE (and God Bless me I don't know the name, I just know that I go there for work)....

in the middle of the street (booth store) where they have the BEST clothes for young women that are usually anywhere from $20 to $50 on the racks and the walls...

BUT - pay attention - they have a $10 bin/basket whatever you want to call it - on the floor. I have been there several times, where I'm looking at something on the rack, and they literally take it off the rack, and throw it into the $10 bin, just to make room for new inventory!

Best secret deal ever in Santa Monica!

Then, also be sure to check out 4th Street in general, as ther are tons of great stores, resturants, and clubs in general there...

Be sure if you have teenagers or young adults of any kind to also check out "Wasteland", which is great!

I hope that this helps!

CJW

Curt...WOW!!!

You ought to be paid for the amount of work you did here...

Bottom line is that this hotel has an incredible location and apartment-sized suites for a very reasonable price...

But, it's a modest small hotel...

For a lot of folks, it's ideal...

If you want a LARGE traditional resort hotel with typical big hotel amenities and accommodations, you want to check into the Loews or the Fairmont...But you'll pay a FAR HIGHER price...

If staying in the fanciest or trendiest place isn't important to you...and you'd rather have comfort and location at a reasonable price, check this place out...

By the way, let me also reiterate, for those spending more than just the overnight before a cruise in the LA area...especially for those spending a few nights, you cannot get more convenience, nicer climate, more shopping and restaurants, more night life--really the entire package--than being in this area of Santa Monica...

You have the beach, the Third Street Promenade, the Santa Monica Pier and a wide selection of all types of eateries within EASY WALKING DISTANCE...The Getty Center, Getty Villa, Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills, Westwood Village/UCLA and MAlibu are all within a fairly short drive...

The climate is as near perfect as it gets anywhere in the world...The neighborhood is fairly safe and upscale...The airport (LAX) is only 10 miles away...

Only things that are really distant are Disneyland (down in OC) and the pier (San Pedro is about 30 miles away)...and even those can be visited from Santa Monica within reason...

The only problem, for some, with Santa Monica is that the "big" hotels can be very pricy...which is where hotels like this one come in...There are this hotel and a few others in the area that are generally older, less formal or less ritzy, but at great prices...Yes, you can stay cheaper in other parts of SoCal, but the convenience and location here is well worth it...Unless, of course, you're only in the area for a short pre- or post-cruise or have no interest in visiting LA's attractions, in which case staying in Pedro/Long Beach or near LAX is fine...

Well, again...THANKS!

Yes - I will be travelling with two 18 year old girls...(yikes) as well as an 12 year old girl, so the shopping tips will come in handy! I am a bit nervous about driving, but the car rental works out cheaper than various shuttles(from airport to hotel/hotel to ship)...we are flying into Long Beach, picking up our van, then dropping it off Sunday in Long Beach (not at airport- at 249 east ocean blvd) Then we just have to catch a cab or whatever when our ship gets back in to get to Long Beach airport.

(We get in Friday and I think we will hang out in Santa Monica, then hit the road Saturday and see whatever!) What is the weather usually like in mid-March? As long as it's not raining we will be happy!

(although we have had an unusually dry summer and (so far) fall - weird for this area!)

Hey gang!

One last question about flight times.

We will be flying out of Long Beach on the Sunday that we return from our cruise. There are 2 flight times I can choose from. Either 11:23am or 3:18pm. I would hate to have to wait around until 3pm, but will I have enough time to get off the ship and get to LGB? How far is that airport? And how early must we check in? (I know some smaller airports aren't as regimented!)

I was just planning on grabbing a ride at the terminal, so should I just take my time getting off the ship and book the afternoon flight? Or can I make the 11:20 flight?

Arrrggggg...decisions!:confused:

Leah...

I would take the earlier flight...BUT, I would arrange for a taxi or shuttle to meet you at the ship...this is LA and taxis just aren't that plentiful...You usually have to call for one...

Long Beach Airport is about 15 miles from the pier in San Pedro, but not a heavily trafficked route...Once you've boarded the shuttle or cabm, it shouldn't take more than about 25 minutes...

Let the ship know you have an early flight and they'll get you off with the early groups...

Long Beach Airport is actually VERY SMALL...

In a ranking of LA area airports by volume, LAX is WAY beyond anything else...then John Wayne (OC), Ontario, Burbank and Long Beach bringing up the rear...There should be a minimum of lines and hassles--that's the main reason most people who fly Long Beach like Long Beach...

With a 3:18 flight, you'd be hanging around with nothing to do for a long time...

But, again, make sure to PRE-ARRANGE that pick-up at the pier...

Ok...so what time should we be waiting for you, Steve?!

kidding....yes, I guess 5 (and luggage) in a cab would be a stretch, so I should arrange a van to pick us up? Would a 9am pickup be pushing it? I know you usually have to arrive at the airport a couple hours ahead...one other thing...can you please recommend a good company that serves LGB? Thanks...:)

• 1 month later...

Hi Curt

YOu may remember me from a couple of months back. We had provisionally booked the Sportsmen Lodge in Studio City and only today hubby has said we can have an extra night in LA instead of just the one.

SO, before I contact the hotel I have been looking again at where best to stay and I do quite fancy Santa Monica.

My question is this. We will go from the cruise ship at San Pedro to our hotel but then on the Sunday will probably spend the day at Univeral Studios.

But of an evening we do like to just chill and I do fancy the beadh, a long stroll with a few night caps along the way and something nice to eat. Since we will be going back to UK early March it will be so nice to just try and catch the last of the sun until our summer.

SO what hotel would you recommend near the beach and night life - bearing in mind we do not want young night life - we do like to chill and people watch so a buzzy night environment would be good but a quiet hotel is a mustl.

Our budget is probably about 300 dollars at the very top - def no more than that.

Can you help me yet again.

Many thanks

:)

Absolutely!

Your husband will be glad of his decision to stay an extra day.

I won't be back on the boards until Monday, but let me think on it a bit, and maybe we'll adjust your plans somewhat.

This may actually give you more options...

The great thing about hotels here, is that there are plenty, and it is easy to cancel and rebook...

So, just hang tight!

CJW

PS On Monday, I'll answer you back in your original thread, or maybe even start a new one just for you!

PPS Staying the extra day will open up so many more possibilities on what you can do, and where is good to stay!

Curt

Many many thanks for your help.

I I am going to short list some possibles and your thoughts and comments on them would be greatly received.

Have to say there are some wonderful hotels but well out of our price range. We have already upgraded on the flights over and on the cruise ship, now having a corner aft balcony room.

ANyway back to the drawing board to narrow down the hotels.

Isn't the www a great invention.

• 1 year later...

Outside blends in and looks like a typical "Melrose Place" Santa Monica apartment...

2776681860079337728fYBBAz_th.jpg

2002874550079337728NEdPke_th.jpg

Then you are this close to Ocean Park, the ocean, PCH, etc...

(taken right from the front of the building)

2700608140079337728OwrVHO_th.jpg

Then on the other corner, this close to the Third Street Promenade, shopping restaurants, etc...

(taken right from the other corner of the building)

2309737810079337728GZTOdV_th.jpg

so hope you don't mind my jumping in here...theres a Holiday Inn that might be affordable and alittle nicer then the place with the pictures above, that definitley is an old apt building converted, so its ok as that person has said, but wont be as modern as the Holiday Inn, which is like 2 steps down from the pier, across the beach, but not facing the beach..some rooms might have Ocean views I think; there's also a Travel Lodge on Ocean Ave thats decent...around the corner from Holiday Inn is Ocean Ave that has many nice restaurants and there is a place at the pier entrance (kind of pricey in the rst but not in the bar) called Lobster House with a great great view of the ocean for drinks and appetizers in the bar..food good just pricey.....if any of you type in Santa Monica online alot of the hotels here will pop up ..enjoy your time here, its a nice city , just down the coast from Malibu!

Curt, thanks so much for posting these pictures! What an intriguing looking place that is and one that I would never have looked twice at if I had driven past it. I'm now really considering this for our March trip out there with our two teens (boy and girl, 17 and 14.) We've got two nights pre-cruise to book for. We also have an entire day to kill after the cruise because our flight back to Detroit doesn't leave until 10:59 pm so if you have any ideas for that day, I'm all ears:D . Thanks again for all you do for this board.

You are very welcome!

Nice to be appreciated...:D

Yes, as you know I give pros and cons for my general recommendations, as there is no hotel, area, or stay that is one size fits all...

I'm about to post a few more coming up, but that is exactly the point of this hotel.

Large rooms for the $$$ in Santa Monica. Good options for families or people who want more space. Very safe, (you'll see quite a few people walking their dogs, jogging, rollerblading, etc.) because it is close enough to walk to the Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park along Ocean Blvd., and down to the pier...

Also a bit quieter than the hotels on Ocean, as it's one block off the main streets.

Also, I must in general say this is good if you want a more personal hotel experience (from the front desk service, and tours), more boutique-y and less generic chain, as well as feeling like you actually "live" somewhere - as opposed to a generic hotel guest.

Also so many great things for people of all ages, including teens and young adults!

...I guess I'm going to have to put this into a bunch of my reports...

Please if you have not been to or actually stayed in these areas/hotels recently, please don't bother replying and giving info on what anything was like 2, 5 10, 125 years ago...

I go here regularly, all hours of the day or night (up till 4 PM some nights, so I know what's safe for walkers, and I lurv my job!), and anything that I'm posting for people, is in all context of "safe" for what I'm recommending.

I have lived around here for my entire life, and part of my job is to look and investigate, AND STAY AT hotels in the area for out of town clients and work events. So I recommend based on a "local" expertise, as well as an "out of town expertise"; and have actually stayed at these places (as a local - and get direct thumbs up or down from the out of towners)...

So, unless you are regularly staying around here, at these places - CURRENTLY - then please don't bother with old news or "rumors" from years ago...

Thanks in advance...:D

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We also stayed at the Cal Mar for two nights pre-cruise in March of 2007. It was great! If you have ever seen "Melrose Place" you will be able to picture it....(I am dating myself)

Anyways, its not fancy, but it is clean, friendly and cheap!

I just booked it again for a two nights pre cruise stay in March of 2009.

Be aware there is no elevator, so if you've got alot of luggage you may want to stay on the ground floor!

• 8 months later...

Hey all!

I just wanted to add lishka's info from another thread to this one...

Hello again, Curt!

You helped us out big time for our first Mexican Riviera/California pre cruise trip back in Spring Break of 2007.

We loved it so much that we are doing the same for Spring Break 2009.

(Never been on a voyager class ship, so thats why the same itinerary!)

You went out of your way to check out a very cool Melrose Place-type hotel that we ended up staying at (Cal Mar) and I am happy to say we will be returning there again!

We got a great rate for the 4 of us...$139/nite for a one bedroom apartment with a pullout sofa in the living room. Just look online at various sites as the hotels site shows a slightly higher rate. The heated pool was great, being able to cook meals helped save $$, and being able to walk to everything in Santa Monica was wonderful! We did the "Hollywood" tourist stuff that trip, so will be more laid back and will check out the pier which was the one thing we didnt have time for!

Definitely not a romantic-getaway type hotel, but great for a family with two teens!

Thanks again..you are appreciated more than you know! :)

It sounds like this hotel really worked well for their family!

Thanks again for getting back to us with another current report lishka!

Lets put out some good thoughts that your second stay at Cal Mar works out as well for your family as the first one!

:D

Archived