Here's an update on Renaissance Island OCT 2006

scott in maine

Folks -

We just got back from a 10 night cruise on HAL's Volendam and rolled the dice for our group of 6 and spent our day at Renaissance Island. 4 of us had been to Aruba before and had little interest in a full day of shopping and had done all the touristy things before.

I was the one doing all the research for this trip and I really had to twist some arms to get folks to agree to go to an American-operated chain hotel to plunk down $50 per person to ride a boat to an island that we knew precious little about. I'll even admit that I had some real reservations about this since it was very hard to get consistent information about the place.

Was it worth it? Did we make the decision? Was everyone in our group exceedingly pleased? ABSOLUTELTY!!!

I cannot express enough what a delightful place this is. We've travelled considerably and seen more than our fair share of beaches and top drawer resorts and I've only seen this sort of perfect getaway in two other places (both in Hawaii). In short, Renaissance Island was levels above what even I'd expected and we felt it was the best spent money and time during our entire cruise.

We walked the 5 minute (okay, maybe 7 minutes) walk to the hotel from the cruiseship and, as others had indicated, there was some initial confusion among the front desk personnel and some back and forth clarifications before they would agree to sell us passes for the day. Ultimately, they did and we paid $50 per person (not the $60 or $70 reported here by others) and it included full access to all parts of the island, use of facilities, non-motorized watersports (incl snorkeling gear) and ANY MEAL off the regular menu and ONE beverage per person (YES, including all alcoholic beverages, despite others' reports to the contrary) and -- to our great surprise -- after the meal and our drinks, our server brought around Haagen Dazs bars for each of us!

It was almost ridiculous how wonderful this place was. The beach had been combed carefully the night before and there were flamingos walking amidst us on the beach. No kidding!! As we sat there drinking our Pina Coladas, there were several pink flamingos walking up to us and standing right beside us for hours. Surreal and all wonderful.

Besides all of that, the snorkeling was exceptional. The beaches are built with breakwaters at the far edges of the water to ensure that the waters are somewhat calm, which makes them perfect for snorkelers of all levels of proficiency. The fish in the waters exceeded what I thought we'd find. We'd been to Baby Beach before and paid a lot of money (not to mention cab fare and snorkel rental) and seen far far less than this! This may be the best snorkeling on the island. While standing on a walking bridge, I saw a baby squid plodding along. Wow!

At noontime, the resort sets out about a half dozen heads of romaine lettuce for the dozens (maybe hundreds) of iguanas who live on the island. The iguanas seem to like this notion and by 11:30am, they were lining up in droves on the warm rocks near where the food would arrive. It was amazing to watch these harmless creatures simply all over the place enjoying the sun as much as we were.

Lastly, for those who might be concerned about it, there were scads of places with ample shade (both from the HUNDREDS of mature palm trees and the dozens of man made palapas) for folks who don't want a full day in the hot sun.

In short, if any of the above sounds appealing to you whatsoever, I cannot urge you strongly enough to drop your other plans and head for Renaissance Island. I defy anyone to walk away not deleriously pleased. The service and surroundings were as good as Disney could dream up. Toss in lunch, transportation and a drink on top of equipment for snorkeling and it's almost embarassingly underpriced, in my opinion.

I don't know how much longer this resort will continue this offer. But, while you've got the chance, don't miss it. This sort of spectacular deal just doesn't come along that often.

Thanks for the excellent information. Sounds like a truly wonderful day. We had hoped to do the same in December, but doubt during Christmas week, that the hotel will be below the occupancy standard that they set. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7963244&postcount=6

Great review! We are thinking about doing this excursion in February. Can you tell me are there bathrooms/showers on the island? Can you swim on the side without the beach? Where is the best snorkling? How often do the boats travel to and from the island? When is the last one?

Great review! We are thinking about doing this excursion in February. Can you tell me are there bathrooms/showers on the island? Can you swim on the side without the beach? Where is the best snorkling? How often do the boats travel to and from the island? When is the last one?

khm1: calm down!!! You're too worked up! This is supposed to be vacation, remember?!? :)

There are absolutely bathrooms and showers here -- this is not a remote island with no services! There is also an airconditioned gift shop that sells souvenirs of all kinds, sunglasses, swimsuits, T-shirts, lotions, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't see anyone swimming on the non-beach side, but nor did I see any signs that indicated that one shouldn't. That said, I can't imagine why you'd want to. There is probably excellent snorkeling in several places -- if not everywhere. You'll have no trouble finding spectacular snorkeling within minutes of getting in the water. We found great spots off the adult beach immediately.

Our sense was that the shuttle boats leave about every 15 minutes in both directions and, while the times may change throughout the year, my recollection is that the day we were there (mid OCT 2006), the last boat back left at 7pm. That would've been very nearly dark outside.

I am unfamiliar w/ this excursion and I'm now researching options for our Oct 2007 cruise. Does this package from the hotel include alcoholic drinks and food? It sounds a little like the Rum Point Beach in Grand Cayman, for anyone that's been there, am I close? Thanks!

I am unfamiliar w/ this excursion and I'm now researching options for our Oct 2007 cruise. Does this package from the hotel include alcoholic drinks and food? It sounds a little like the Rum Point Beach in Grand Cayman, for anyone that's been there, am I close? Thanks!

According to the OP...one meal off the menu, and one drink.

"...we paid $50 per person...and it included full access to all parts of the island, use of facilities, non-motorized watersports (incl snorkeling gear) and ANY MEAL off the regular menu and ONE beverage per person (YES, including all alcoholic beverages..) and -- to our great surprise -- after the meal and our drinks, our server brought around Haagen Dazs bars for each of us!"

We walked the 5 minute (okay, maybe 7 minutes) walk to the hotel from the cruiseship and, as others had indicated, there was some initial confusion among the front desk personnel and some back and forth clarifications before they would agree to sell us passes for the day. Ultimately, they did and we paid $50 per person (not the $60 or $70 reported here by others) and it included full access to all parts of the island, use of facilities, non-motorized watersports (incl snorkeling gear) and ANY MEAL off the regular menu and ONE beverage per person (YES, including all alcoholic beverages, despite others' reports to the contrary) and -- to our great surprise -- after the meal and our drinks, our server brought around Haagen Dazs bars for each of us!

Is there anything pre-cruise we need to do to try to orchestrate this? Or just show up at the hotel and ask to purchase day passes? We will be on Aruba in early December, and I'm hopeful it will still be considered low season before the onslaught of holiday traverlers. Thanks for the great review...

According to the OP...one meal off the menu, and one drink.

"...we paid $50 per person...and it included full access to all parts of the island, use of facilities, non-motorized watersports (incl snorkeling gear) and ANY MEAL off the regular menu and ONE beverage per person (YES, including all alcoholic beverages..) and -- to our great surprise -- after the meal and our drinks, our server brought around Haagen Dazs bars for each of us!"

Thanks....so for $50 you get access and beach chairs, etc. plus lunch and one drink....I'm wonding if the all-inclusive excursion offered by Princess is the better deal?? Thanks!

We will be in Aruba the end of January and are planning on this hotel island. I read that the meal was very nice and the island beautiful. You can stay all day if you want. Also I read that you can use the pool facilities and bars there. We are only making back up plans in case they are full. They do limit the capacity. So I'm looking for something else we can just pick up. We spent a week here before and loved it. The beaches are nice but not much in the way of snorkerling in front of the hotels.

Is there anything pre-cruise we need to do to try to orchestrate this? Or just show up at the hotel and ask to purchase day passes? We will be on Aruba in early December, and I'm hopeful it will still be considered low season before the onslaught of holiday traverlers. Thanks for the great review...

No, I don't think there's much you could do to assist with this. After travelling much through Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, I've simply gotten (somewhat) used to the slow confusion that seems to permeate even the simplest of requests from time to time. That said, the front desk folks were exceptionally professional and helpful, it's just that there was general confusion about something while I was standing there attempting to get our tickets. Note that each ticket must be MANUALLY WRITTEN OUT by a front desk clerk and that takes time -- there is an island pass, a boat shuttle pass, etc, etc. Don't let this tiny distraction make you nervous at all -- just a part of doing business.

I am unfamiliar w/ this excursion and I'm now researching options for our Oct 2007 cruise. Does this package from the hotel include alcoholic drinks and food?

Tbag -- with respect, are you actually reading what I've written or just scanning at warp speed before asking questions? I have tried to include as much detail and appropriate information in my initial post that I thought would be helpful to those interested.

You have asked questions here that were spelled out clearly in my OP.

Tbag -- with respect, are you actually reading what I've written or just scanning at warp speed before asking questions? I have tried to include as much detail and appropriate information in my initial post that I thought would be helpful to those interested.

You have asked questions here that were spelled out clearly in my OP.

Seriously, dont take offense, i have given a great deal of detailed information myself on this site....and often answer the same questions over and over. i read your review initially and then went back to it later and asked questions, so all of the info definitely wasn't fresh in my head. i'm sorry that you feel i was asking unneccessary questions.

I have often found, with resorts like this, that there are other options available and maybe for another price or something, you could get additional drinks included, etc. I was just looking for more info. I realize I did not phrase my question very well. I guess you felt the need to point this out but I hope you did not assume I did not take the time to read what you wrote as that is not the case. I wish I had a dime for every question I've answered or seen asked and answered multiple times....

tbag,

I might me able to help you a bit since we stayed at the hotel a few years ago (when it was the Sonesta) and went to their island. We've also be the Aruba several times and have gone to different parts of Aruba itself. Ren. Island is a short boat ride from the mainland. You leave from the hotel across the street (and down the road a little bit) from the pier. The boat stops at the Marina (where there's condo style units/at least a few years ago timeshare units) and pools-- which you probably have access to) and then over to the island. It's a nice island... not terribly lush or tropical... this is Aruba and the island itself isn't a very "green" island (like Grenada or St. Lucia). We saw some fish around the dock area. Water was very clear. Went to beach area where there were adaquate chairs. From what I remember the snorkeling was "mediocre" at best. If you're looking for really nice snorkeling you might want to go to DePalm Island which is an "all inclusive" excursion that's usually offered by the cruise ships. THey offer several different options there, usually half days... helmet dives etc. You go by bus and then a ferry boat over. Another option you may want to consider is taking a taxi up to the hotel strip (think it's called Palm Beach) where the Hyatt, Wyndam, Radisson and Marriot are... there's a boardwalk that goes along the beach that connects the hotels. Depending on when you go the surf can be a bit rough (it was a few years ago when we went on a day stop) and then the following year it was very calm.

Since you can't purchase your day passes until you arrive my suggestion is play it by ear and also "ask around" on your cruise ship to see what they suggest (ask CD staff etc., they might do the day pass to Ren. Island and could tell you exactly how it is an answer all your questions -- staff <and those in the travel industry> usually get discounted rates for these things though their offering might not be "all inclusive"). There are also several all inclusive hotels along the "strip" that may offer day passes that you may want to look into if you're into "that thing" and also depending on how long your stop on Princess is for the day. Check all your options.

Good luck and have a great time.

Carolyn

I have often found, with resorts like this, that there are other options available and maybe for another price or something, you could get additional drinks included, etc. I was just looking for more info.

In the couple of years I have been following this forum (and 13 land based vacations in Aruba) the only real choices available are:

1. Renaissance Island with only the previously mentioned package

2. Occidental Day Pass (please contact the resort directly-last report here was that it was $70 or so for the day)

3. Bid on a room for the day through Priceline and request early check-in

4. De Palm Island- through a ship's excursion or on your own. There have been problems reported as of late from people who are told that cruise ship passengers must book directly through the cruise line.

5. A day on your own at any beach on the island. All of the beaches on the island are public. It is only the resort features and amenities which are restricted.

The thread (with additional links to threads) I posted

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7973366&postcount=32 may also give you some ideas of where to spend the day.

Our favorite is Palm Beach. As Carolyn stated there are a number of resorts along this stretch of beach: Marriott, Holiday Inn SunSpree, Playa Linda, Hyatt, Occidental, Radisson, Riu (closed for renovations), the soon to be Westin (former Wyndham) and Phoenix.

Carolyn made mention of waves and the surf being rough along Palm Beach on one of her visits. Must have been on the island during a rare occurance when there is a storm off shore. This is the only thing which could possibly generate waves along Palm Beach.

In our 13 land based vacations to the island we have always stayed somewhere along Palm Beach and have found only waves generate by boat wake. For the most part the water is as placid as a lake. We especially avoid Eagle Beach for the specific reason that we enjoy the calm waters of Palm Beach.

For the price, and the included amenities, IMHO, I would go with the Day Pass to Renaissance Island and have a back up plan incase the hotel's occupancy is over 90% and they are not selling passes that particular day. If your cuise you are referring to is the one in your ticker, the situation with Renaissance could very well change between now and then anyway.

This was a GREAT way to spend the day in Aruba. The beach is beautiful, the snorkeling was good (went out side of rock area in adult area a sunken barge with a lot of fish great clarity). The food and service were good. We did not want this day to end. 11-8-2006

This was a GREAT way to spend the day in Aruba. The beach is beautiful, the snorkeling was good (went out side of rock area in adult area a sunken barge with a lot of fish great clarity). The food and service were good. We did not want this day to end. 11-8-2006

Did you just walk up to the desk and ask for a day pass? Or did you book this ahead of time? What are they charging now for a day pass?

Granny, The cost is $50.00 per Adult over 12 years old under is free and yes just go to the front desk and ask for a day pass. There is one thing though if the hotel is 90% or more booked they will not offer the pass. with that being the case have a back up plan, Arubalisa has posted a nice run down for a day ath the public beach.

Archived