Oosterdam mess-can't I switch ships?

constructiondude

The Oosterdam azipod problem has really stirred up a hornets nest and if my 1/6/7 cruise is cancelled I don't think I will be rebooking my cruise. "Cruise vacations are hassle-free and easy" the brocheres exclaim in loud print....that has been anything but the case with the Oosterdam and I want out if I can. Do you think HAL would let me change to the Noordam, Westerdam or Zuiderdam without penalty? I realize this is beyond their control but they aren't delivering the product they promised and they can either rectify the matter or take the chance of losing a customer altogether. Maybe its not a big deal for a lot of you that have the means and time to cruise anytime you want; but for me and a lot of other people who are lucky to cruise a few times over their lifetimes it IS a big deal and can't easily shrug it off. I know that HAL stands to lose millions of dollars from the two cancelled cruises, the cost of the new azipod, the incentives to win back their customers and the loss of customers to them or cruising altogether. Well, here is a way to retain some of those customers.

My DH and our 2 best friends are also watching (somewhat patiently) the outcome of when the O will be drydocked as we are booked on her on 1/20/07 for my 50th. We got together last night and came up with a few plan B's just in case. We have one plus in that we live in San Diego. I feel for those that already have airfare booked and plans before and after. I wonder though about those that haven't heard about the azipod problem, my friends would never have known about it if I wasn't constantly checking out this board. I just hope that HA makes a final decision soon so we all can make other arrangements.

The Oosterdam azipod problem has really stirred up a hornets nest and if my 1/6/7 cruise is cancelled I don't think I will be rebooking my cruise. "Cruise vacations are hassle-free and easy" the brocheres exclaim in loud print....that has been anything but the case with the Oosterdam and I want out if I can. Do you think HAL would let me change to the Noordam, Westerdam or Zuiderdam without penalty? I realize this is beyond their control but they aren't delivering the product they promised and they can either rectify the matter or take the chance of losing a customer altogether. Maybe its not a big deal for a lot of you that have the means and time to cruise anytime you want; but for me and a lot of other people who are lucky to cruise a few times over their lifetimes it IS a big deal and can't easily shrug it off. I know that HAL stands to lose millions of dollars from the two cancelled cruises, the cost of the new azipod, the incentives to win back their customers and the loss of customers to them or cruising altogether. Well, here is a way to retain some of those customers.

Dude, no Oosterdam cruise in January has been cancelled as of right now. You're getting yourself all worked up and there is as of yet no indication that your cruise is/will be cancelled. If and that is if underlined, HAL is switching the drydock period to install a new azipod from April, you can rest assured that those affected passengers will be notified with time to spare and will be offered compensation.

As you can see by this awesome and very positive cruise report by Bardgal, it is very possible to have a great time on Oosterdam even with only one azipod functioning. Try to relax!

Dude:

I am one of the Galz from the 11/25 "O" sailing and returned home last night.

I have sailed on many ships on many different lines.

Please hear me . . . this was one of our best cruises EVER and one of the nicest ships we have ever had the privelege of sailing on. I would match this ship, and most certainly this crew, with any experience we've had.

I realize the "unknown" is unsettling and I am sorry you are experiencing that. BUT I also agree with John that it's probably unlikely your cruise will be cancelled (and yes, I was a part of all the discussions with Mr. Deering.)

This ship and this crew will exceed all of your expectations if your sailing is anything like ours was. I would book "her" again in a very fast minute!

Kelly

Constructiondude - just got off the Oosterdam yesterday (12/2), and I can assure you it was not a mess. Bardgal and I were roomies, and her reports are right on the money. The azipod issue was minor in my book, and had no effect on the fabulous time we had. A little vibration that I only noticed momentarily the first night before falling into the sleep coma Tally described, and to be honest with you, if no one had mentioned the azipod prior, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It was more curiosity on my part, I was looking for any signs, and as I said, they were minor. The only thing to be aware of is the shore excursions, and heed the suggestions posted re either booking through HAL or do not pre-deposit any non-HAL excursions.

We did not take any shore excursions, chose to explore on our own, and felt we had more than enough time to enjoy the ports. And the HAL crew is very helpful if you ask for their input on where to go in port.

Have a great time, and enjoy every minute of the experience!

Maryann

Archived