Carnival Travel Log Rip Off??

DolphinFan

OK..I went on the Glory in Sept. (1st time cruiser) and decided to buy the Travel Log for $30 as my friends and I were all over it :o the tape lasted 1 hour and showed the Port of Calls, games on board, etc. I just went on the Inspiration in Dec. and again, spent $30 on the Travel Log, to get home and notice it was only about 20 minutes long! There was hardly anything on the CD. Is this because it was not a 7 day cruise? There were no pictures from our Port of Call, nothing. I can't believe they would charge $30 for the exact same Travel Log when it had less than half the film time on it. Does anyone else think this is a big rip-off??

I have only purchased the DVDs, not a tape, and was able to preview each one prior to purchase (as previously mentioned). We don't purchase them each trip, however if we or our family members are on the DVD a few or more times then we do so. We ususally watch them at Christmas (since both are sons are in graduate school...well, one is in Law School...and all of our daughters are married) when we are all together. Even if we're not in every frame or the length is not the same it still brings a smile to our faces to remember our vacation together. Look at it for the memories. After all one can't even go out for a pizza and a flick for $30.00 these days.

...not a rip-off unless they advertised or guaranteed the length and content.

They have always varied on each sailing, quality really varies...

I guess that's what I guess for "ass"uming..lol I will know better the next time I go on a cruise to ask. The only problem is you have to prepay for them and you don't get them until the night before you leave. There is no way of knowing what your going to get?

i always thought the travel log they sold contained all of the content they show on in cabin tv. if so, wldn't you know the length of it b/4 you purchased or, did it not contain all of those scenes?

Well..every time we turned on the TV, the same show seemed to be on, I wasn't the only one who noticed, we were actually taking bets on what would be on the TV when we got to our rooms..lol

I have only purchased the DVDs, not a tape, and was able to preview each one prior to purchase (as previously mentioned). We don't purchase them each trip, however if we or our family members are on the DVD a few or more times then we do so. We ususally watch them at Christmas (since both are sons are in graduate school...well, one is in Law School...and all of our daughters are married) when we are all together. Even if we're not in every frame or the length is not the same it still brings a smile to our faces to remember our vacation together. Look at it for the memories. After all one can't even go out for a pizza and a flick for $30.00 these days.

Thats true, we have had fun watching what little there was. I was just wondering if it all the Travel Logs were cut short when its a shorter cruise. I think we were mainly disappointed because we hoped to see scenes from Cozumel, like we did St. Thomas and St. Maartin. There were not even scenes from the Deck Party.

I guess that's what I guess for "ass"uming..lol I will know better the next time I go on a cruise to ask. The only problem is you have to prepay for them and you don't get them until the night before you leave. There is no way of knowing what your going to get?

I guess if it would have happened in reverse order, you would have either not been disappointed, or not purchased the second one:)

We have never pre-ordered but they have always had plenty available for immediate purchase on the last night, that way you can get specifics. They usually have one playing on a DVD as well...

On our Legend cruise 12/10/06, they were selling 3 (I think) DVD's. One for ship happenings, one for excusions and I think one for something else. We weren't in anything taped, so we weren't interested in buying one.:p

Well..every time we turned on the TV, the same show seemed to be on, I wasn't the only one who noticed, we were actually taking bets on what would be on the TV when we got to our rooms..lol

that's interesting (what you say), b/c (call me cynical), but now it sounds to me like this was more of a Videographer (is that even a word?) thing, than a Carnival thing.

In other words, maybe he was slacking on the job. Hangin' out too much, videoing too little. Bring the lack of content to Carnival's attention if you are that unhappy with it and see if they will issue you a refund for it.

OK..I went on the Glory in Sept. (1st time cruiser) and decided to buy the Travel Log for $30 as my friends and I were all over it :o the tape lasted 1 hour and showed the Port of Calls, games on board, etc. I just went on the Inspiration in Dec. and again, spent $30 on the Travel Log, to get home and notice it was only about 20 minutes long! There was hardly anything on the CD. Is this because it was not a 7 day cruise? There were no pictures from our Port of Call, nothing. I can't believe they would charge $30 for the exact same Travel Log when it had less than half the film time on it. Does anyone else think this is a big rip-off??

I would suggest getting a digital camera with a video recorder on it and record your own memories of what u want for way less the price...you can download your video to your own CD for almost free (just need to buy the blank cd's)...I never purchase the travel log, I create my own.;)

Contact a video production company in your area and get a quote for them to come along on your next cruise (or even your kid's b-day party) to produce a 20 minute video of your trip.

You'll feel $30 is quite a bargin!

The first one lasted 1 hour cost $30.00 and the second one was 20 Minutes for the same price...........yes I would say that's a rip off:eek:

You are paying for the cost of putting the show together, not the length of the show. It probably only costs a few pennies more to creat a 60 minute DVD vs. a 20 minute DVD. It is the cost of just putting it all together that creates the cost. The people that put it all together are paid by the day, not by the minute. If they were paid by the minute, each DVD would be four hours long.

They do it different now. We just did B2B this past Nov/Dec and they use to have 1 DVD with everything on it, they now split them up. I'm pretty sure there was only 2. The first one is "ship" things IE: sail away, deck party, games, etc etc.. the 2nd one is "shore excursions" Carnival ones of course. The DVD's are shorter in time but still packed with alot of the same fun tapings. We bought each of the "ship" ones but not the excursions because we don't book through carnival for excursions. The problem I have with these is, even just the 3 night sailings, you still pay the same amount of $$ as the 7 night DVD. ( we only pd $25, not 30 because we pre-ordered and got the discount)

Archived