A good hotel in MIA with airport and port shuttle service

jimc_usa

We stayed at the La Quinta Miami Airport West last May both pre and post cruise. They provided free shuttles to the airport and the pier. We rented a car after the cruise so didn't use it post cruise.

The hotel rooms were clean and quite large with fridge and microwave. I don't know if this is in all rooms though. They were in the process of some major renovating when we were there as La Quinta had just purchased the property.

They served a very nice free continental breakfast.

The staff was always very friendly and accommodating. There is a Bennigan's within walking distance.

I think it was a little over $100. Compared to the other "deals" I read about on these boards, it was a great value. It is out of the way though and so you have to drive to do any sightseeing which we didn't mind doing.

jimc_usa,

First, it's very hard to find a clean, safe, reasonably-priced hotel with shuttles for a budget-minded family. Here's what I found (so far). Check out their websites and on tripadvisor.com for the comments. Prices are based on Jan. 2008 Friday night stay & I have AAA membership which does seem to get the better prices. I underlined the best features/why I'm considering the property. All have outdoor pools unless noted otherwise.

Downtown: Staying in downtown has its advantages due to close to everything. Cab ride is flat $24 from MIA. Port is close so taxi is about $10. Hampton Inn Dadeland, $143.10 on Travelocity.com, 10 miles from MIA, rave reviews, 2D beds, closer to port, no shuttle. Extended StayAmerica Port of Miami, $107.99 AAA rate, close to port, kitchenette, 2D beds, no pool. Holiday Inn Port of Miami, $153 AAA rate(Orbitz.com or Travelocity.com), mixed-poor reviews, close to port, across street from Bayside Marketplace (has restaurants, food court, marina w/ boat tours of Millionaire Row, shopping, and entertainment).

Coral Gables: Beautiful, historic, urban area with plenty to near nearby. Best Western Chateaubleau, $170.10, Free shuttle MIA & port, mixed-poor reviews, grocery store 4 blocks away, good Greek restaurants on site, other restaurants 12 blocks away

Airport: The best deals seem to be at the airport, but then you're about 10 miles from Downtown area (about $24 cab fare each way). LaQuinta Airport East, $143.10 AAA rate, Free shuttle MIA & port, mixed-positive reviews, 2D, free breakfast, restaurant onsite & others nearby, groceries nearby, newly remodeled. Other LaQuintas offered shuttles too but photos didn't look as nice as this one, complaints about the shuttle at the other. Extended StayAmerica Deluxe $107.99, mixed - positive reviews, newly remodeled, free breakfast, maybe a pool will be open, kitchenette, 2D beds & sofa sleeper, parking your rental car is not a problem.

So what am I going to do? I still don't know. I like the Hampton Inn because it's close to downtown/beach & has rave reviews. I also like the LaQuinta because of the free shuttles & breakfast. Holiday Inn is still a possibility because of its location. It looks like I'm paying the $24 taxi fee to hotel or to sights.

It looks like you are doing a good job with your searching.

Caution - I would never stay at an Extended Stay America hotel again! We stayed at one in SLC and it was terrible. The beds were hard, the sheets very, very thin, not clean (which is unusual in SLC) and the people at the front desk were........ well, I never would have let my kids hang out with them! Maybe this was a once in a lifetime experience but I have the impression that all of the hotels are like this one and it was just a couple of years old!

Good luck on your searching.

We usually stay at the La Quinta Airport East pre-cruise. Airport West is in a better area for restaurants and such so I just called them. They said they do not offer shuttles to the port, only the airport. Too bad, there's a Dave and Buster's right next door, it would've been a fun pre-cruise night. So, check with Airport East (on Le Jeune Road). We drive over and they also offer free parking while we're sailing. We're getting this one free, but if we were paying it would have been $159 for April 7th. They also offer a free continental breakfast. With the parking, the breakfast and the shuttle, it's like a free night at the hotel even when we have to pay.

Shelly

jimc_usa,

First, it's very hard to find a clean, safe, reasonably-priced hotel with shuttles for a budget-minded family. Here's what I found (so far). Check out their websites and on tripadvisor.com for the comments. Prices are based on Jan. 2008 Friday night stay & I have AAA membership which does seem to get the better prices. I underlined the best features/why I'm considering the property. All have outdoor pools unless noted otherwise.

Downtown: Staying in downtown has its advantages due to close to everything. Cab ride is flat $24 from MIA. Port is close so taxi is about $10. Hampton Inn Dadeland, $143.10 on Travelocity.com, 10 miles from MIA, rave reviews, 2D beds, closer to port, no shuttle. Extended StayAmerica Port of Miami, $107.99 AAA rate, close to port, kitchenette, 2D beds, no pool. Holiday Inn Port of Miami, $153 AAA rate(Orbitz.com or Travelocity.com), mixed-poor reviews, close to port, across street from Bayside Marketplace (has restaurants, food court, marina w/ boat tours of Millionaire Row, shopping, and entertainment).

Coral Gables: Beautiful, historic, urban area with plenty to near nearby. Best Western Chateaubleau, $170.10, Free shuttle MIA & port, mixed-poor reviews, grocery store 4 blocks away, good Greek restaurants on site, other restaurants 12 blocks away

Airport: The best deals seem to be at the airport, but then you're about 10 miles from Downtown area (about $24 cab fare each way). LaQuinta Airport East, $143.10 AAA rate, Free shuttle MIA & port, mixed-positive reviews, 2D, free breakfast, restaurant onsite & others nearby, groceries nearby, newly remodeled. Other LaQuintas offered shuttles too but photos didn't look as nice as this one, complaints about the shuttle at the other. Extended StayAmerica Deluxe $107.99, mixed - positive reviews, newly remodeled, free breakfast, maybe a pool will be open, kitchenette, 2D beds & sofa sleeper, parking your rental car is not a problem.

So what am I going to do? I still don't know. I like the Hampton Inn because it's close to downtown/beach & has rave reviews. I also like the LaQuinta because of the free shuttles & breakfast. Holiday Inn is still a possibility because of its location. It looks like I'm paying the $24 taxi fee to hotel or to sights.

Thanks I really appreciate all the information. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn (it was okay, we thought there was people sleeping near the pool! Bayside was a great place to go for an afternoon.) We rented a Hertz car at the airport and dropped off just around the corner, but still had to get a taxi to the port.

The only two hotels that I've been able to find with both free shuttles MIA & port, & are positive-mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com AAA - triple A rate is the best one available. I have not stayed at either.

Hotel Name/area per night port airport reviews comments

Best Western Chateaubleau / Coral Gables

$170.10

Free shuttle

Free shuttle

Mixed - poor

2 Q, Grocery store 4 blks, great Greek restaurant on site, other restaurants 12 blks.

LaQuinta Airport East / Airport

$143.10 AAA

Free shuttle

Free shuttle, 5 mi

Mixed –Generally positive

2D, breakfast, Bennigans on site, other restaurants nearby, grocery nearby

I have found only 2 hotels that have free shuttles both ways & a positive - mixed review on tripadvisor.com website. I am not including any that have consistent complaints about shuttle or poor conditions like mold. I have not personally stayed at either.

Best Western Chateaubleau / Coral Gables

$170.10

Mixed - poor reviews

2Q, Grocery store 4 blks, great Greek restaurant on site, other restaurants 12 blks.

LaQuinta Airport/East

$143.10 AAA rate

Mixed –Generally positive

2D, free bfast, Bennigans on site, other restaurants nearby, grocery nearby

I've been searching all over for a decent place for the 1-night pre-cruise hotel for my family. We want to avoid driving a car in a strange city. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Have a look at the Sofitel they have great getaway specials. Has anyone stayed there before? I just booked for next Feb.

Stayed at the Days Inn Airport last April before sailing on the Valor. Their shuttle service from the airport is terrible. The front desk kept telling us it would be 10 minutes before the driver got there. We waited 1 1/2 hours. I'm not a fussy hotel traveler. I just want an inexpensive bed to sleep in, but this place had a slight creepy feel to it, so we spent most of the day at Bayside. The restaurant at the hotel seems like a singles nightclub. Was kind of worried about taking our 16 year old son in there. The best part about the hotel was the shuttle service to the port. They had a couple of nice tour buses to transport all of the cruise passengers. The bus driver loaded all of the luggage under the bus and dropped us off right at the porters.

Stayed at the Days Inn Airport last April before sailing on the Valor. Their shuttle service from the airport is terrible. The front desk kept telling us it would be 10 minutes before the driver got there. We waited 1 1/2 hours. I'm not a fussy hotel traveler. I just want an inexpensive bed to sleep in, but this place had a slight creepy feel to it, so we spent most of the day at Bayside. The restaurant at the hotel seems like a singles nightclub. Was kind of worried about taking our 16 year old son in there. The best part about the hotel was the shuttle service to the port. They had a couple of nice tour buses to transport all of the cruise passengers. The bus driver loaded all of the luggage under the bus and dropped us off right at the porters.

You may have been worried - but I'll bet your son wasn't :D

I just called the Hampton Inn Dadeland. They do have a free shuttle to and from the airport... however their shuttle to the port is $15 per room.

This hotel is a category 2 in the Hilton Honors program. If anyone is so inclined ... Hilton offers a free American Express card that earns Hilton points. Upon first use of the card you are given 20K points... a free night at this hotel.

This hotel is a category 2 in the Hilton Honors program. If anyone is so inclined ... Hilton offers a free American Express card that earns Hilton points. Upon first use of the card you are given 20K points... a free night at this hotel.

They have apparently changed their promotion... they now only offer 10K for the first purchase. Sorry for the incorrect info...

I had reservations at this hotel, but cancelled after reading all the horror stories on Tripadvisor. Since we won't get in til late the night before our cruise, we're going to take our chances with the MIA Hotel in the terminal and grab a cab in the morning. Got a fantastic rate through Quikbook...hopefully we'll get a renovated room.

I am also looking for suggestions, I am looking for a hotel, clean and safe in Miami preferably in South Beach with on site parking for a rental car. At least I have been told SB is the best, safest area. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am also looking for suggestions, I am looking for a hotel, clean and safe in Miami preferably in South Beach with on site parking for a rental car. At least I have been told SB is the best, safest area. Any suggestions are welcome.

Check out the Hotel Atlantica:

http://www.hotelatlantica.com/

It is the best kept secret in South Beach. Parking is a block away but it is an easy walk. Check out the tripadvisor reviews. The hotel is clean, safe, affordable and about a block from the beach and the Art Deco district.

There are 2 Rodeway Inns in South Beach (middle & northern) that get mixed-positive reviews at Tripadvisor; they range from $160-233/night.

Try the Clay Hotel and Hostel near the Espanola Way area. Website looks great. They have hotel-style rooms with 2 twins, 2 doubles, 1 queens; they also have hostel-style accomodations for 6-8 people/room with a bathroom. They have good photographs. Prices seem very reasonable for budget travelers. You can be any age to stay at a hotel/hostel.

I also had decided on Atlantica & got the same email. I may wait to find out the new name & policies for when it re-opens as a hostel.

Most Hampton Inns have positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Dadeland location doesn't have the FREE shuttle to the port though. At $15pp, if you have more than 2 people, you'd be better off calling a cab since the taxi plus tip is going to run about $30 (I have 5 in my group). The Biscayne Key location looks all right, but they don't have shuttles at all from what I can tell. It's close to port, so taxi that way wouldn't be much.

If your hotel doesn't have a shuttle, here's a few private shuttles to consider. They also can give you a tour of the city, take you to Port Everglades, or other sightseeing tours. This could be nice if you might be taking a city tour anyway - this would be a tour & shuttle, and if you have time to kill before check-in, or flight.

www.maiamisuntours.com

DeMarco Transportation (I don't know the website, google)

There are 2 Rodeway Inns in South Beach (middle & northern) that get mixed-positive reviews at Tripadvisor; they range from $160-233/night.

Try the Clay Hotel and Hostel near the Espanola Way area. Website looks great. They have hotel-style rooms with 2 twins, 2 doubles, 1 queens; they also have hostel-style accomodations for 6-8 people/room with a bathroom. They have good photographs. Prices seem very reasonable for budget travelers. You can be any age to stay at a hotel/hostel.

I also had decided on Atlantica & got the same email. I may wait to find out the new name & policies for when it re-opens as a hostel.

Most Hampton Inns have positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Dadeland location doesn't have the FREE shuttle to the port though. At $15pp, if you have more than 2 people, you'd be better off calling a cab since the taxi plus tip is going to run about $30 (I have 5 in my group). The Biscayne Key location looks all right, but they don't have shuttles at all from what I can tell. It's close to port, so taxi that way wouldn't be much.

If your hotel doesn't have a shuttle, here's a few private shuttles to consider. They also can give you a tour of the city, take you to Port Everglades, or other sightseeing tours. This could be nice if you might be taking a city tour anyway - this would be a tour & shuttle, and if you have time to kill before check-in, or flight.

www.maiamisuntours.com

DeMarco Transportation (I don't know the website, google)

Your information is incorrect. The price they started to charge for the shuttle is $ 15.00 per room, not per person.

Hope that makes a difference.

Archived