Where to get Cuban cigars?

sas80

They sell them all over the place. Like wines, you have to know your cigars and stamps and styles ect. to insure that you are getting TRUE Cubans. Generally, the shops that I have seen will be in a high traffic area with a "Habanos" sign in the window.

Take lots and lots of cash, too. Most that I saw were running $50-$150 per box. I bought one the size of a bic pen for $5 and found it to be rather bland. I also believe that you get what you pay for and I went cheap. So, I can say that I have smoked one, but actually prefer the Domicans that we can purchase here in the states.

The one shop I was in, the guy said that he would reband the cubans as dominicans and wrap the box so I could get them into the country. I could carry the (contra)bands in my wallet or whatever and reband them when I got home. But, I am not one to fly in the face of laws and rules, so smoked it on the ship.

So, study up on the Cubans so you know and can tell, but even then you may get shafted, yaknow?

http://www.cubanhabanoscigars.net/Information/Spot.html

I had to edit this after I posted it because I realized that I really goofed in a couple areas. $150 per cigar? right. and I added the link.

As far as preferences. My "boys" (son and husband) bought a couple of different Cubans while we were in Panama (not on cruise): Cohiba and Romeo y Julieta. My husband felt the Romeo y Julieta was a bit harsh, but said the Cohiba was nice and smooth. I guess it goes to preference.

In Panama at Albrook Mall they paid about $10 - $12 a cigar.

As an aside -- the same store was selling liter bottles of 5 year old Cuban rum for $3 a bottle.:eek:

Enjoy your smokes!

• 4 weeks later...

Any places in Progreso that roll their own stuff? Since most of the Cubans that I can afford will probably be fakes, I figure on looking for some boutique sticks that might be worth trying.

thanx

=-D

Archived