Dog sledding in Juneau or Skagway?

Mags65

Help! I am trying to scedule our Alaska cruise, and I don't know if it is better to do the helicopter/glacier/dog sledding in Skagway or Juneau? Or is there not much difference? Any information would be greatly appreciated; thank you!

IMHO, it depends on your time scheduled and what you want to do and how much do you want to spend. In Skagway the only co is TEMSCO in Juneau there are others co. (Don't take me wrong, wi did the tour with Temsco in Juneau and loved it!!)

I do suggest you book it directly with the co, if, like us, you're on a budget. You might save at least $50 per person.

My mom & I decided to do it in Juneau because everyone we know who has cruised highly recommended the train in Skagway - but to wait to book the train because it isn't spectacular if it's a yucky day. So that broke the tie for us. :)

Help! I am trying to scedule our Alaska cruise, and I don't know if it is better to do the helicopter/glacier/dog sledding in Skagway or Juneau? Or is there not much difference? Any information would be greatly appreciated; thank you!

We we went dogsledding with Coastal in Juneau a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time. Others CCers on our cruise went in Skagway and they had a good time as well.

According to BQ, dogsledding is the most cancelled excursion. Our trip was not a "Go" until the last minute due to weather. We went an alternate route with a more experienced helicopter pilot and got is some extended flightseeing which was great. An earlier group had made it in but they had not been able to return to get them. They were really glad to see us when we arrived. Our return from camp was also delayed, but that was okay with me as we were not pushed for time. Coastal will offer a glacier walk or refund if the dogsledding is cancelled. So, you may want to have a back-up plan in place.

Enjoy your trip

We had booked dogsledding with Temsco in Juneau. They picked us up at the designated location and time (9:30 am), drove us out for 10 minutes to their offices...and then told us the flight was cancelled due to weather. It was very rainy that day. And yet, there were lots of people there getting ready to go on helicopters for a glacier fly-over and walk. Temsco said we could do the glacier walk instead, which made us think that we were cancelled because nobody else had booked the combo helicopter fly-over and dogsledding. We declined their offer and got our money refunded.

The next day in Skagway, we went to a tour concession at the end of the pier and were able to sign up for dogsledding on the Denver glacier. Interestingly, it was with the same company...Temsco. It was fabulous and the highlight of our cruise.

We had booked dogsledding with Temsco in Juneau. They picked us up at the designated location and time (9:30 am), drove us out for 10 minutes to their offices...and then told us the flight was cancelled due to weather. It was very rainy that day. And yet, there were lots of people there getting ready to go on helicopters for a glacier fly-over and walk. Temsco said we could do the glacier walk instead, which made us think that we were cancelled because nobody else had booked the combo helicopter fly-over and dogsledding. We declined their offer and got our money refunded.

The next day in Skagway, we went to a tour concession at the end of the pier and were able to sign up for dogsledding on the Denver glacier. Interestingly, it was with the same company...Temsco. It was fabulous and the highlight of our cruise.

No this is not true. Glacier dog sledding is a fixed camp. ONLY place they can go, since they can't move the dogs. With a regular glacier landing, they can and do, go to other areas easily, that is why many times this will be available as an alternative if the camp is weathered out.

Glacier dog sledding out of Juneau is the most canceled of all Alaska excursions. Skagway isn't far behind. :) Always have back up plans and know what is in the area, and what may be of interest to fill up your time. Know in advance IF you will consider a regular glacier landing, sometimes these will be available for you.

Budget Queen, I need you help and anyone else if you have an opinion please.

We are wanting to do a dogsledding tour and I called Coastal and tehy stop this tour in August.

Do you know of a company and contact info in Skagway?

Also if we were to decide to rent a car in Skagway can we drive to CarCross to the Yukon and also to Emerald Lake in one day and wouldyou happen to know the distance to travel?

Thus far our tenative plans are Ketchikan Glacier and MF with Island Wings. And in Juneau Harvs and Marvs Whale watching.

Skagway (above)

ISP?

Sitka?

We would like to get in some Bear watching somewhere we are hoping to see them in Skagway :o .

Please give me your advice if we have planned wisely thus far in your opinion?

Thank you

Budget Queen, I need you help and anyone else if you have an opinion please.

We are wanting to do a dogsledding tour and I called Coastal and tehy stop this tour in August.

Do you know of a company and contact info in Skagway?

Also if we were to decide to rent a car in Skagway can we drive to CarCross to the Yukon and also to Emerald Lake in one day and wouldyou happen to know the distance to travel?

Thus far our tenative plans are Ketchikan Glacier and MF with Island Wings. And in Juneau Harvs and Marvs Whale watching.

Skagway (above)

ISP?

Sitka?

We would like to get in some Bear watching somewhere we are hoping to see them in Skagway :o .

Please give me your advice if we have planned wisely thus far in your opinion?

Thank you

Try TEMSCO, only company in Skagway, but in the past, glacier dog sledding has been over in August.

Emerald Lake from Skagway is about 150 miles round trip, which takes about 4-5 hours with many stops. Caribou Crossing is an easy stop, just before Emerald Lake.

You aren't likely to see any bears in Skagway, just about zero chance. Hoonah- maybe, they offer bear tours.

We just returned from our helicopter ride over 4 glaciers, landing on a glacier and then dog sledding for about 45-50 min in Juneau. I believe the helicopter company was ARC, but we booked the excursion thru RCCL. It was the best excursion we've had in all our 5 cruises.

Yes, it was little bit expensive, but we so much loved it and would do it again in a heart beat if we could.

Any questions, please feel free to ask,

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and enjoy it.

If you plan on whale watching at any point then Juneau is the best place for whales. If not, then I would do the glacier/dog sled/helicopter in Juneau with Tamsco. Skagway- White Pass train is a must. Be warned that if the weather is not condusive for flying your tour will be cancelled without any notice. This happens often as the weather is unpredictable atop the glaciers. Also, a small bit of advice, unless you are dead set on dog sledding, which is only a very small part/time of that excursion I would recommend the helicopter/glacier treking instead. Much better experience. Just my opinion. Enjoy your trip and hope the advice helps. Happy Cruising!

penquin6969

have read alot that they cancell that tour, did you hear of any of them being cancelled. we are booked the week of aug 18th... we have been waiting so long ans were so excited about it.. i was thinking about booking another in sjagway too just incase, but thisis the one i wanted... any info on it would be great. my kids want to know how many people go with you... there will be four of us.. thanks

We just returned from our helicopter ride over 4 glaciers, landing on a glacier and then dog sledding for about 45-50 min in Juneau. I believe the helicopter company was ARC, but we booked the excursion thru RCCL. It was the best excursion we've had in all our 5 cruises.

Yes, it was little bit expensive, but we so much loved it and would do it again in a heart beat if we could.

Any questions, please feel free to ask,

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and enjoy it.

Probably ERA.

penquin6969

have read alot that they cancell that tour, did you hear of any of them being cancelled. we are booked the week of aug 18th... we have been waiting so long ans were so excited about it.. i was thinking about booking another in sjagway too just incase, but thisis the one i wanted... any info on it would be great. my kids want to know how many people go with you... there will be four of us.. thanks

On average, glacier dog sledding out of Juneau is the most canceled of all Alaska tours, it isn't a matter of "hearing them being canceled". If they can not fly into the camps for whatever weather reason, they cancel in a fairly short timeframe prior to the schedule. Sometimes they can fly elsewhere, there are many glacier landings they can consider, but ONLY one fixed dog camp. Definately have back up plans, meaning, ideas on what else to fill your time. But be aware of all cancelation policies before you double book something, and if you do, be willing to accept it.

I suggest you be prepared, two and three years ago, all the dog camps closed mid-late August, one was open into Sept. last year, all the rest had closed. You are perhaps going on the edge.

• 2 months later...
On average, glacier dog sledding out of Juneau is the most canceled of all Alaska tours, it isn't a matter of "hearing them being canceled". If they can not fly into the camps for whatever weather reason, they cancel in a fairly short timeframe prior to the schedule. Sometimes they can fly elsewhere, there are many glacier landings they can consider, but ONLY one fixed dog camp. Definately have back up plans, meaning, ideas on what else to fill your time. But be aware of all cancelation policies before you double book something, and if you do, be willing to accept it.

I suggest you be prepared, two and three years ago, all the dog camps closed mid-late August, one was open into Sept. last year, all the rest had closed. You are perhaps going on the edge.

Hi Budget Queen

We are doing an Alaskan cruise from Vancouver to Ketchican, Junea and Skagway in May on Norwegian Sun. I am just starting to research and thought your ideas would be great on a couple of things:

• We really want to do the helicopter/dog sledding tour but are unsure which port to do it from. We are in Ketichan 6am-2pm, Junea 7am-1.15pm and Skagway 7am-9pm. Any thoughts on which port to do this from?
  • Is is safe to use private companies rather than booking through the ship, ie is there a big risk of being delayed getting back to the ship?
  • As a rule, do things get cancelled frequently in May?

Would appreciate any advice you may have on this.

Thanks so much.

Cheers

Moo Cruiser:)