Priceline + Long Beach ????'s

I am in a dilemma. I have been unsuccessfully trying to Priceline a 4* hotel in Long Beach pre-cruise. My problem is that I have gone up to $105 for a room on October 27th before a Mexican Riviera Cruise w/Royal Caribbean unsuccessfully. When I upped the bid to $110 I received a message that if I bid $22 more, I would get a room. Here comes the problem. I used biddingfortravel dot com and it lists four 4* hotels. In looking at all of their websites, they range in price from $159 to $299. What are the odds that I would get the $159 room for $132? I know I won’t know until I hit the button, but is it worth going through priceline to save $27??? :confused: Please, any input/information or past experiences appreciated.

FirstTimer from Ohio

When I upped the bid to $110 I received a message that if I bid $22 more, I would get a room.

Here is what I would do: Next time I bid, I would bid $110 for a 4* in Long Beach. If that is not accepted, and you get the add $22 dollars offer, continue on. When it says that you need to change something, add Long Beach Airport Area, and increase your bid to $115. Do not change your star rating. This is called a free rebid, as outlined on http://www.biddingfortravel.com Since Priceline will not down grade you from a 4*, and Long Beach Airport doesn't have any, you will not get lower than a 4* hotel. If not accepted again, add San Pedro, and add something to your bid. Again if this bid is not accepted, add Torrance-Carson, and increase your bid. This is the end of your free rebids, and if you haven't won the bid yet, try again tomorrow. By getting the counter offer, you know that you are close to the winning amount that you need to get a hotel. From both experience, and reading other posts, most of the time you will get a winning bid by less than half of the counter offer.

Remember that Priceline will not downgrade, but they do upgrade. Example, outlined on Bidding For Travel: Somebody wanted a 2 1/2*, and added an area that didn't have one, but did have a 3*. They won the bid, and ended up with a better hotel, but not where they wanted to be.

...is it worth going through priceline to save $27???

That is a question that only you can answer. Priceline gives you a hotel, but you can't cancel the reservation once you get it. Could you cancel the other rates that you got? With the Priceline fees, you would probably save about $20.

I took your suggestions. 24 hours had already passed, so I just went 1/2 way between the last bid of $110 and the suggested bid of $132 and won.

You are welcome. Please post your results on the first thread here, and on Bidding For Travel. This will help others who may want to bid for the same time period.

How does bidding for travel work?

You do not bid through the website http://www.biddingfortravel.com It is an aid in using Priceline. By reading the FAQ's and the recent bidding history, it gives you an idea of how and what to bid. All they ask of you is to post your results, and go to Priceline through their Amazing Bargains link.

Archived