Are balcony staterooms on Pacific Sun worth the money?

bob4uall

There are maybe only two dozen balcony cabins or less on Pacific Sun. Has anyone tried these? We want to book for October 2008, but price is pretty high compared to other cabins.

Also, please tell about your thoughts on stops in Whitsundays, Cairns, Port Douglas and Willis Islet. We have never been there or to Brisbane either.

The balcony cabins on Sun are actually suites and therefore significantly larger than the cabins on all the other decks.

I didn't really think the location of the suites on Sun was particularly great as there was little privacy as people going up and down the steps to the forward observation deck look directly into the balcony suites. Pacific Sky was better in this respect as there was no line of sight into the suites on that ship. Pacific Dawn will also have this advantage as well as having standard cabins with balconies as well as suites.

Thank you Brad & Jessica3152. There are not a lot of choices for cruising only Australian ports in 7 days, so we are looking at Pacific Sun's "Week Tropique" to do that. Did you have a good experience on the cruise?

When you say that there was little privacy because people look directly into the balcony suites, did you mean just the balconies are exposed, or the can see into the suite itself (if drapes aren't drawn, etc.)?

Also, is there time to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef at Whitsundays, Cairns & Port Douglas? Which port may be best for this, and what excursions are good?

My personal opinion is that they are too expensive. Especially when paying for more than 2 as the 3&4 pay 1/2 the twin price instead of the much discounted rate.

They are lovely to stay in however. Much bigger than a standard cabin, more like a larger hotel room plus the bonus of the balcony. The bathrooms are a real bathroom with bath and shower.

Jessica was right about the privacy. There is none if you have the curtains open. There is a stairwell at the front side of the ship that goes straight pass the cabin. Our friends stayed in V1 because it was a disabled cabin and when on the balcony you could reach out and touch the people going up the stairs. Also could look in really easily. The others are probably a little less exposed.

The sky ones were certainly much more private and a lot larger too, separate sleeping room.

I can email you some photos if you would like a better look.

I thought they were in a terrible position! I felt a bit sorry for the people who booked a balcony on the sun when I went,They had a great view of steel stairs being used by people going up and down to get to the front all the time, and people lounging around directly underneth the balconies,When you walk up the outside staircase you can see straight into the cabins and almost touch the people on the balcony.And if you were a non smoker,too bad, because you are allowed to smoke on the open deck directly beneath the balconies,and some did,I am too consciouses of the ill affects my smoking habit to do this ,but noticed it quite often .

Rooms may be worth the money but in my mind the lack of view and privacy are not.

:) Hi Bob4uall,

I accidently posted a comment to sayaguru instead of you... i actually live in Townsville (In between Whitsundays & Cairns) I can tell you they are both beauitful places. Would DEFINIETLY recommend travel in oct. Warm but not too hot.

Whitsundays has the most beautiful beaches (Go to Whitehaven Beach for a couple of hours) Airlie beach itself isnt all that great, just packed with back packers mainly.

Cairns is big with Asian Tourists, i personally think port douglas is alot nicer (If you can get to the Daintree) I Feel i should warn you about crocodiles. You dont see them all that often (def not in the whitsundays) but up near carins down go down near waterholes and rivers unless a guide says its ok... you dont want to risk being eaten (Though it is VERY uncommon).

Umm hope ive helped... If you have any other questions.. ask away.

Thank you Brad & Jessica3152. There are not a lot of choices for cruising only Australian ports in 7 days, so we are looking at Pacific Sun's "Week Tropique" to do that. Did you have a good experience on the cruise?

When you say that there was little privacy because people look directly into the balcony suites, did you mean just the balconies are exposed, or the can see into the suite itself (if drapes aren't drawn, etc.)?

Also, is there time to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef at Whitsundays, Cairns & Port Douglas? Which port may be best for this, and what excursions are good?

Oh and in regards to Snorkling, out from airlie beach the reef is about 2-3hrs away.. fantastic once you get out there, costs about $170 (i think) but includes a big lunch and snorkling gear.

On the East Coast of the US, May is a bit warmer than October. How would it be on the Queensland coast in May? Is it too late for Cyclones then? Would there likely be sunny days, or is it rainy more than in October?

Thanks, because it is looking more like May will be when we can come.

bob4uall

They are pretty much the same, We only mainly get rain from nov - march and even then we havent been having very good wet seasons. It will definitely still be warm. Because In the winter the most you ever really need is a light jumper. It will certainly be warm. As for cyclones, the last one hit in January 06 i think... By May cyclone season is pretty much over.

:) Hi Bob4uall,

I accidently posted a comment to sayaguru instead of you... i actually live in Townsville (In between Whitsundays & Cairns) I can tell you they are both beauitful places. Would DEFINIETLY recommend travel in oct. Warm but not too hot.

Whitsundays has the most beautiful beaches (Go to Whitehaven Beach for a couple of hours) Airlie beach itself isnt all that great, just packed with back packers mainly.

Cairns is big with Asian Tourists, i personally think port douglas is alot nicer (If you can get to the Daintree) I Feel i should warn you about crocodiles. You dont see them all that often (def not in the whitsundays) but up near carins down go down near waterholes and rivers unless a guide says its ok... you dont want to risk being eaten (Though it is VERY uncommon).

Umm hope ive helped... If you have any other questions.. ask away.

Hi Sarah, yes.. we most definately have crocodiles in the Whitsundays.

breeding season is September through October.

on all the main beaches you will see signs telling you crocs are there.

so be careful anywhere north of Rockhampton.

We live in the Northern beaches of Mackay, and the creek at the back of our house has crocs....

From November to May, the deadly Irakanji stingers are what we look out for.

I agree with you.Whitehaven is Heaven....

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Pacific Sun Balconies - no way would I pay heaps of money for them. We recently took our first cruise and chose that ship.

We purchased a standard queen room for the two of us and thought it was a lot more spacious than we had anticipated. We could leave our suitcases on the floor and there would still be room to walk around the bed and to the bathroom and front door. We saw our tablemates' queen cabin as well and it was larger than they had anticipated too.

As others have stated, we could see the balconies and straight into the room when the curtains were open while we were going up and down outside stairs - which people would be doing almost all the time.

The only way I would have a balcony on that ship is if it was a complete bargain basement price. Rather have the comfy queen room and spend more on drinks and the like and keep my privacy rather than stay in a balcony room.

My personal opinion is that they are too expensive...

... Our friends stayed in V1 because it was a disabled cabin and when on the balcony you could reach out and touch the people going up the stairs. Also could look in really easily. The others are probably a little less exposed.

The sky ones were certainly much more private and a lot larger too, separate sleeping room.

I can email you some photos if you would like a better look.

Hi Aussiedisneyfan,

I tried to send you contact information, but perhaps it didn't get through. So please do send those photos if you have time, and thank you. bob4wallmail@hotmail.com

Bob4uall

Just actually checked my email and yours did arrive.

Thanks. Received the photos. I forgot to mention in the email that your friends' little girls have adorable smiles. Cruising is fun for all ages, no doubt.

Hi Bob4uall,

We just got home from our first cruise on the pacific sun & i have to agree with everyone else's comments about the privacy of the suites. I personally don't think they're worth the money for the position they are in. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely & spacious, but another thing to consider is that they are also at the very front of the ship, which is the most rocky part of the ship. We spoke to a couple on our cruise who stayed in a room up there & they were nearly falling out of bed on one of our stormy nights. In comparison, we were staying at the back of the ship, where we did not feel the rocking half as badly.

We stayed in a 4 berth room on level 6 and it suited us fine, but it depends what you are looking for in your room... I went with the view that i was only sleeping in my room, not living there, so it didn't have to be the fanciest one around. Just my opinion, but i thought there were much better things to see & do than sit in my cabin. However, if you really want a balcony room, go for it - your cruise is what you make it!

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Lauren :)

Archived