Best Mayan ruins tour from Progreso?

Grits53

I know I read some threads here about the ruins, but apparently most of them have disappeared. So, please tell me which ruins you consider to be the best. I believe people here were saying that Uxmal was better than Chichen Itza, due to having much smaller crowds there. Did someone say Uxmal is also a shorter drive than Chichen Itza? Please give me the pros and cons of these two sites. We will be taking a Carnival excursion.

Also, we have been to Tulum and Chacchoben. How do they compare to them? Thanks a bunch! :)

I know I read some threads here about the ruins, but apparently most of them have disappeared. So, please tell me which ruins you consider to be the best. I believe people here were saying that Uxmal was better than Chichen Itza, due to having much smaller crowds there. Did someone say Uxmal is also a shorter drive than Chichen Itza? Please give me the pros and cons of these two sites. We will be taking a Carnival excursion.

Also, we have been to Tulum and Chacchoben. How do they compare to them? Thanks a bunch! :)

We have not been to Chichen Itza but have been to Uxmal, Dzilbilchatun, and Tulum. We did the Tulum tour from Cozumel. We just returned after visiting the Dzibilchatun ruins last Tuesday. Of the two from Progreso, I would have to go with Uxmal. The ruins are much more impressive. Dzilbilchatun is a smaller site and has one large pyramid and it is very interesting but we truly enjoyed Uxmal. The pyramids are huge and beautiful. The bus to Uxmal is about 1 1/2 hours with one stop along the way and no stops returning to the ship. The time goes fast as there is a guide who gives lots of information about the Mayans. If you go in the summer, it is very hot so take sunscreen, hat, and good walking shoes. It was much cooler last week but still needed the same items.

Have a great cruise. Travelgirl

Been to Dzib and don't want to spend a half day on a bus, so my pick is Uxmal.

The only thing that Travelgirl missed was bug spray. Good Job girl!

To be perfectly honest, we didn't take bug spray nor did we need it at either site. But, it wouldn't hurt to take some - just in case. Travelgirl

GRITS53... what part of North Louisiana are you calling home??

=====

Have not taken a cruise related tour to these sites. You can go to the Carnival web site and search Shore Excursions for Progresso/Merida for more details..

Expect to travel....

From Progresso to Merida. about 25/30 miles.

From Merida to Uxmal...... about 45/50 miles.

From Merida to Chichen... about 75/80 miles.

Tour notes 7.0 hrs for Chichen Itza (5 of that is travel) leaving you about 2 hours on site.

Travel time for Uxmal slightly shorter (4.5 hr) but with total tour time of 6.5 hrs, you still only get about 2 hrs on site.

I have been to both sites on ground tours and would recommend Chichen Itza if you have to choose one over the other.

Would also recommend, if you can find, travel books by Richard Bloomgarden.. "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza" and "The Easy Guide to Uxmal". I have since learned that these books have been out of print since 1992 but you can still find them out there. I am sure any Borders - Barnes&Noble have similar books.

from the introduction of "The Easy Guide to Chichen Itza"... (1975).

"The archaeological zone of Chichen Itza is one of the most visited regions of Mexico. This is the largest zone in the Yucatan and one of the best preserved sites that you could see. Anyone who visits Merida should make a very special effort to spend at least one day sightseeing here amidst the glories if the past."

No matter which site you visit, it is in your best interest to have some prior knowledge of what you are going to see. Your guide will be trying to tell you a little bit about everything and you may miss some of the more subtle facts of the site. Get a guide book - do your homework - impress your friends!;)

If you, or anyone has questions, let me know... I have lots of books and a relative that teaches at FSU - conducts Maya tours - read glyphs - speaks fluent spanish and an indian dialect or two... He's my tour guide !!:)

We have not been to Chichen Itza but have been to Uxmal, Dzilbilchatun, and Tulum. We did the Tulum tour from Cozumel. We just returned after visiting the Dzibilchatun ruins last Tuesday. Of the two from Progreso, I would have to go with Uxmal. The ruins are much more impressive. Dzilbilchatun is a smaller site and has one large pyramid and it is very interesting but we truly enjoyed Uxmal. The pyramids are huge and beautiful. The bus to Uxmal is about 1 1/2 hours with one stop along the way and no stops returning to the ship. The time goes fast as there is a guide who gives lots of information about the Mayans. If you go in the summer, it is very hot so take sunscreen, hat, and good walking shoes. It was much cooler last week but still needed the same items.

Have a great cruise. Travelgirl

Travelgirl- was your excursion to Uxmal booked with Carnival or booked independently? I want to go to Uxmal, but have not found an independent tour. I know that Dzilbilchatun can be booked through AutoProgreso, but I have not seen anything on Uxmal.

GRITS53... what part of North Louisiana are you calling home??

=====

Wow! You are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you so much for the tips! I had not thought of researching the sites before touring them, but of course it makes perfect sense.

We live about 50 miles east of Shreveport. DH was raised on the farm we own now, and I grew up about 10 miles from here. We've visited many places, but never found anywhere we'd rather live than right here. :)

Travelgirl- was your excursion to Uxmal booked with Carnival or booked independently? I want to go to Uxmal, but have not found an independent tour. I know that Dzilbilchatun can be booked through AutoProgreso, but I have not seen anything on Uxmal.

I booked our Uxmal excursion a couple weeks before our cruise online through Carnival. Our tickets were delivered to our room by the room steward the day before our tour. This was on our cruise last June. We always book thru Carnival. The ship was 15 minutes late leaving on that cruise because one of the tours had not returned. They returned 15 minutes later and the ship left. The ship will wait. Hope you have a great cruise and you will love Uxmal. Here are some picture of the pyamids. Travelgirl

El Adivino

47b7d728b3127ccebb974a78dccb00000046100QZNGrZm3bsR

And another - Pyramid of the Magician

47b7d729b3127ccebbebca8c45e400000056100QZNGrZm3bsR

I booked our Uxmal excursion a couple weeks before our cruise online through Carnival. Our tickets were delivered to our room by the room steward the day before our tour. This was on our cruise last June. We always book thru Carnival. The ship was 15 minutes late leaving on that cruise because one of the tours had not returned. They returned 15 minutes later and the ship left. The ship will wait. Hope you have a great cruise and you will love Uxmal. Here are some picture of the pyamids. Travelgirl

El Adivino

47b7d728b3127ccebb974a78dccb00000046100QZNGrZm3bsR

And another - Pyramid of the Magician

47b7d729b3127ccebbebca8c45e400000056100QZNGrZm3bsR

Thanks so much for the information, Travelgirl! I am looking forward to going to Uxmal!

Wow! You are a wealth of knowledge! Thank you so much for the tips! I had not thought of researching the sites before touring them, but of course it makes perfect sense.

We live about 50 miles east of Shreveport. DH was raised on the farm we own now, and I grew up about 10 miles from here. We've visited many places, but never found anywhere we'd rather live than right here. :)

That's only because you haven't been to Oregon yet. ;)

Appreciate the ruins info as well.

grits53...

Born - raised in Pineville... have relatives in Springhill and Plain Dealing. Number of friends went to Tech and Northeast (now ULM) I went to Northwestern... Now in Omaha...

Small world...;)

Small world, indeed. We just went through Pineville on our way to Kinder last Sunday. Our son lives in Kinder. Every time we go to visit him, we have to make a stop by Lea's in LeCompte for a big ole slice of their famous pie!!! I bet that brings back memories, doesn't it? ;)

Travel girl, thanks for posting the pictures. They are gorgeous! I am leaning toward going to Uxmal this time and waiting till another time to visit Chichen Itza. I still want to go see it some day!

I'm glad you like them. We still have not seen Chichen Itza. Sounds like it is soooo crowded and so far away but we, too, want to see it someday. Uxmal was great and probably our favorite. We saw the Dzilbilchaltun ruins last week and while interesting, they are not as impressive as Uxmal or Tulum. You will not be disappointed in Uxmal. Have a great cruise. Travelgirl

grits53...

Lea's in LeCompte

NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT !!!

Everytime we go home for a visit, at least one lunch will be at Lea's for the daily special or a ham sandwich / and PIE....

I waited an hour one day for a slice of their chocolate pie - it was warm from the oven when they sliced it. Bought two of them and drove to Natchez to deliver one and then to Monroe for the other. It was hard not stopping and taking another taste....;)

Did you know that before he passed away, Mr. Lea was on the Johnny Carson show, I think 2 or 3 times. Was the spitting image of Col. Sanders of the chicken fame. White suit/white hair & goatee - small mustache / black ribbon tie / cane.. and that man could talk.. no one walked into the cafe without him speaking to them and finding out all about their family. My mother's family was from just down the road at Chenneyville and he knew her when she was growing up. .

• 2 weeks later...
grits53...

NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT !!!

Everytime we go home for a visit, at least one lunch will be at Lea's for the daily special or a ham sandwich / and PIE....

I waited an hour one day for a slice of their chocolate pie - it was warm from the oven when they sliced it. Bought two of them and drove to Natchez to deliver one and then to Monroe for the other. It was hard not stopping and taking another taste....;)

Did you know that before he passed away, Mr. Lea was on the Johnny Carson show, I think 2 or 3 times. Was the spitting image of Col. Sanders of the chicken fame. White suit/white hair & goatee - small mustache / black ribbon tie / cane.. and that man could talk.. no one walked into the cafe without him speaking to them and finding out all about their family. My mother's family was from just down the road at Chenneyville and he knew her when she was growing up. .

Yes, Lea's pies are "to die for"!! I think chocolate is my favorite, and I'm not normally a chocolate fan. Believe it or not, I have childhood memories of Mr. Lea in his white suit, white hair, & goatee. I have always lived in north Louisiana, but my cousins lived in south LA, so we would drive down to see them often. Of course, it was mandatory to stop at Lea's on the way, especially since it was at about the halfway mark. Do I see a trip to Lecompte in your near future now? ;)

I have another question about Uxmal. I was looking at pics of it on this site: http://mayaruins.com/yucmap.html . If you're a Mayan ruin fan, you MUST visit this site, but do it when you have plenty of time! In looking at all these pics of Uxmal, I can see that I would want to spend a lot of time exploring this place. I'd like to climb at least one of the pyramids and go into the rooms, to see everything up close and personal. My worry is that on the Carnival excursion, I won't have time to see and explore everything at Uxmal. For those who have gone on the Carnival excursion, what did you think about this? Did you feel that you only got to skim the surface, or were you satisfied with the time you spent there? On the Carnival site, it says the drive is 2 1/2 hours, but you say it's really only 1 1/2? I wonder why they would say 2 1/2 hours? If it did take that long, the time allowed at the ruins would be only 1 1/2 hours. That just does not seem like enough time, to me. Help me on this, please! I want to go to Uxmal, but I want to really see the place!

• 9 months later...

The trip from progreso to Uxmal would take about 2 1/2 hours each way. You can see a map of the state of Yucatan here:http://www.yucatantoday.com/maps/eng-yucatan-map.htm

If you would like to visit Mayan ruins that are closer to progreso, consider Dzibilchaltun - http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-dzibilchaltun.htm - or Xcambo - http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-xcambo.htm .

• 1 month later...

Archived