Info on travel insurance

dutchess43

Go to insuremytrip.com. There you enter the parameters of your travel plans and they give you comparative quotes from several companies.

We always use Travelguard and were VERY pleased with their service when we had to file a claim (twice).

Hope this helps you!

Looking for any information regarding travel insurance. Has anyone used Global travel shield?

It's from American Express (or one of their affiliated companies) so they're legit.

But there's a few things that I don't necessarily like:

#1 you have to step up to the Premium plan to get what I consider to be the minimum emergency evacuation coverage you should have: $50,000. The lower-level plans max out at $25K which nowadays is below the industry norm.

#2 you have to step up to the Premium plan if you want any sort of trip delay coverage. If you're flying to your departure port you probably should have this coverage. If you're driving it's not so important.

#3 The trip interruption coverage is 100% of the trip cost you insure. Most good third-party plans give you 150% of your trip cost as a benefit here.

#4 If you do choose the Premium plan the pricing isn't all that good for many cruisers -- it will depend on your age bracket. For example, a 60 year old with a $2000 trip cost would pay $127.

With Travelex that same cruiser would pay $91. TravelSafe would be $118. CSA would be $114. And all of those plans have the 150% trip interruption benefit. So they're not hugely out of line but toward the high end for many.

#5 And what REALLY bugs me is that there is nowhere on their site that you can read the full description of coverage -- the fine print. Be sure to have them email or fax it to you before you buy. Until you get that info you really don't know what you're buying.

Looking for any information regarding travel insurance. Has anyone used Global travel shield?

Hi dutchess43,

We get a few calls a month about the Global Travel Shield plan. People want to know how it compares to our choices.

My biggest beef with them is that as far as I know (& I've pursued this pretty far) is that it's impossible to get their Certificate of Coverage. People who have their plan have offered to send / fax it to me, but even they can't get it.

Therefore, as a matter of principle, we recommend no one get it since there doesn't seem to be a way to examine the policy. I personally could never enter into any legal contract (that's what insurance is) without knowing what I was agreeing to.

I hope this helps.

Go to insuremytrip.com. There you enter the parameters of your travel plans and they give you comparative quotes from several companies.

They offer Global Travel Shield plans from American Express (along with many other travel insurance companies).

;) Their site allows you to view the details of each plan prior to purchase.

I agree with all the others on this discussion. Never purchase a policy unless you know what you are covered for.

They offer Global Travel Shield plans from American Express (along with many other travel insurance companies).

;) Their site allows you to view the details of each plan prior to purchase.

I agree with all the others on this discussion. Never purchase a policy unless you know what you are covered for.

The problem for me is that insuremytrip carries the Global Sheild Classic plan, which in my opinion doesn't have enough evac coverage, and the Deluxe plan which has more than you need and at a higher premium. The Premium plan which is closest in terms of coverages and pricing to other popular plans isn't there.

So, if the Premium plan is the one that possibly best suits your needs as far as coverages and costs you're still stuck without the fine print.

Archived